Intuition for Parallel Transport

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parallel transport and how it applies to surfaces. It is important to keep in mind that parallel transport should be parallel to the surface, and also parallel to itself as much as possible. However, in the end, it may not be perfectly parallel due to the curvature of the surface. The conversation also mentions the use of parallel transport in following a meridian, which can lead to unexpected results.
dpa
Hi All,

I am an idiot but I don't understand the parallel transport:

Parallel transport should be in surface right? How to keep parallel and still be in surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
Parallel here means, first of all: parallel to the surface. Once this is kept in mind, then the next demand is: "be parralel to itself as much as you can".

ah! I got it now.
That TRY to make parallel was sufficient.
You try to make parallel with preceeding one as much as possible and in the end it gets hugely NOT PARALLEL.

Thanks again.

Well, go straight along the the meridian. You follow the advice and, after a while, you find your head pointing at the Pole star. Surprise? Well, you did your best.

I can understand your confusion with the concept of parallel transport. Let me try to explain it in a more intuitive way. Imagine you are walking on a flat surface, such as a table. As you walk, you can maintain a straight path and stay parallel to the edges of the table. This is similar to parallel transport on a surface. The key is to maintain the same direction and orientation as you move along the surface, without changing your alignment with the surface itself. This is important because it allows us to measure and compare vectors at different points on a curved surface, without the influence of the surface's curvature. I hope this helps clarify the concept of parallel transport for you.

1. What is parallel transport?

Parallel transport is a concept in mathematics and physics that describes how a vector or other geometric object can be moved along a curved path while keeping its orientation in relation to the surface it is moving on.

2. Why is intuition for parallel transport important?

Intuition for parallel transport is important because it helps us understand how vectors change as they move along a curved path, which is crucial in many fields such as differential geometry, general relativity, and computer graphics.

3. How does parallel transport differ from regular transport?

Regular transport moves an object from one point to another in a straight line, while parallel transport moves an object along a curved path while maintaining its orientation in relation to the surface it is moving on.

4. What are some real-world applications of parallel transport?

Parallel transport has many applications in physics and engineering, such as understanding the motion of particles in a gravitational field, calculating the curvature of a surface, and creating smooth animations in computer graphics.

5. How can one develop intuition for parallel transport?

Developing intuition for parallel transport requires a solid understanding of vector calculus, differential geometry, and the concept of tangent spaces. It also helps to visualize and practice with different examples and scenarios to gain a deeper understanding of how parallel transport works.