Wondering what Meteorology is about

In summary, Meteorology is a field that involves studying weather patterns and phenomena. It has a strong emphasis on using computers and modeling to make short-term and long-term forecasts. It is also possible to combine meteorology with computer engineering to study cloud formations and other aspects of weather. However, it is worth noting that meteorology as a career may involve a lot of practical fieldwork and not just working with computers.
Mark
Hey everyone, I've been wondering what meteorology is about...especially as a career, and in university. I've always wanted to do computer engineering...just cause I like computers, and figured that's the thing to do...but I heard Meteorology does a lot of weather stuff too, is there anyway I can do stuff with computers and do Meteorology, to study cloud formations, and other things? THe problem is I like to see things made practical, I wouldn't want to fly around the world studying the Earth all day, I'd want to make it like...weather engineering...is this possible?

thanks
-Mark

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Seems you would enjoy modelling. The most powerful computers in the world are probably found in atmospheric and ocean physics. It is quite possible to do meteorology you entire life with nothing but computers. It helps with short and long-term forecasting. The people who continually warn us about global warming are in this field.

1. What is meteorology?

Meteorology is the scientific study of the Earth's atmosphere, including weather patterns, climate, and the processes that influence them.

2. What do meteorologists do?

Meteorologists observe, measure, and analyze weather data to forecast and study weather patterns. They also track and analyze natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and wildfires.

3. How is meteorology different from climatology?

Meteorology focuses on short-term weather patterns, while climatology studies long-term weather patterns and trends. Meteorologists use current data and technology to make weather predictions, while climatologists use historical data to study past weather patterns.

4. What are some tools used in meteorology?

Meteorologists use a variety of tools, such as weather balloons, satellites, radar, and computer models, to gather and analyze weather data. They also use instruments like thermometers, barometers, and anemometers to measure temperature, air pressure, and wind speed.

5. Why is meteorology important?

Meteorology is important because it helps us understand and predict weather patterns, which can impact our daily lives and safety. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as agriculture, aviation, and transportation, as well as in disaster preparedness and response.