Calculating Net Electric Field at Origin: Two Charges on X-Axis, Two on Y-Axis

In summary, the conversation involves finding the net electric field at the origin due to four charges located on the x and y axes. The formula for the electric field created by a charge is provided, and the conversation discusses how to apply it to find the net electric field. It is mentioned that the charge at the origin cancels out in the calculation.
thursdaytbs
Electric Field question:

Two charges are located on the x axis: q1 = +6.0 micro-Coloumbs at x1=+4cm, and q2=+6 micro-coloumbs at x2 = -4cm. Two other charges are located on the y-axis: q3 = +3 micro-Coloumbs at y3=+5cm, and q4 = -8 micro coloumbs at y4 = +7cm. Find the net electric field (magnitude and direction) at the origin.

What I've tried to do is say E = F/q, and F = Kq1q2 / r^2, therefore E = (kq1q2 / r^2) / q. since q2 = origin, it = 1? and the q1 and q cancel out? So it becomes: E=k/r^2?

I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong and was wondering if someone could just point me in the right direction?

Any help appreciaited, thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:The electric (electrostatic) field created by a charge 'q' at the point [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] is given by
[tex] \vec{E}_{q,\vec{r}}=:\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^{2}}\frac{\vec{r}}{r} [/tex]
,where [itex]\vec{r} [/itex] is the position vector at the point u wish to calculate the fiels wrt to the point in which is the source "q".

Daniel.

PS.You'll have to apply that formula 4 times (for each charge) and then add those 4 vectors obtained.

Last edited:
thursdaytbs said:
Electric Field question:

Two charges are located on the x axis: q1 = +6.0 micro-Coloumbs at x1=+4cm, and q2=+6 micro-coloumbs at x2 = -4cm. Two other charges are located on the y-axis: q3 = +3 micro-Coloumbs at y3=+5cm, and q4 = -8 micro coloumbs at y4 = +7cm. Find the net electric field (magnitude and direction) at the origin.

What I've tried to do is say E = F/q, and F = Kq1q2 / r^2, therefore E = (kq1q2 / r^2) / q. since q2 = origin, it = 1? and the q1 and q cancel out? So it becomes: E=k/r^2?

I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong and was wondering if someone could just point me in the right direction?

Any help appreciaited, thanks. :smile:

E = F/q(o) where q(o) is the charge experiencing the force.

so E = Kq1q(o)/(r^2*q(o)) <----q1 is the charge providing the force and the q(o) is the charge that would be at the origin. However though, as you mentioned before, it does cancel out.

Thanks for the help everyone.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electrically charged object experiences a force. It is created by other charged objects and can either attract or repel charged particles.

How is electric field strength measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This represents the amount of force a charged particle would experience at a specific location in the electric field.

What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the distance between the charged objects, the magnitude of the charges, and the medium through which the electric field is passing. It is also influenced by the presence of other charged objects in the vicinity.

How does an electric field differ from a magnetic field?

An electric field is created by stationary or moving charges, while a magnetic field is created by moving charges or magnets. Electric fields exert forces on charged particles, while magnetic fields only exert forces on moving charged particles.

What are some real-world applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have numerous applications, including powering electronic devices, generating electricity, and controlling the motion of charged particles in particle accelerators. They are also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in the production of plasma for fusion reactions.