Guidance/advice required for engineering Physics involving scope and career

In summary, the individual is planning to study a Bachelor of Engineering in Engineering Physics in Germany and is seeking guidance on the scope and potential career options for this degree. They have a strong background in Physics and are interested in the mechanical, mechatronics, and nanotechnology fields. They also have a BASF Chemical Company internship and are seeking advice on where to lead their career with an Engineering Physics degree. A mentor suggests studying what interests them and not frequently changing their mind, as it is common for individuals with a STEM background to work in different fields. They emphasize the importance of following one's passion and taking control of one's education. However, it should be noted that the original post was from 2012 and the original poster
engboysclub
[Mentor Note: Poll at the top of this 2012 thread has been deleted]

I will be studying Bachelor of Engineering in Engineering Physics in Germany.

I wanted to ask the scope of this degree ? I have excelled knowledge in Physics and have at times impressed my physics teachers in A Levels with things they were not aware of.

However, I have always wanted to go towards Mechanical (Megatronics, automobile etc) field.
But after few searches on this forum and internet, I feel Engineering Physics is quite better and has a better caliber than mechanical engineering.

Now I wanted some guidance, I wish to know, where can I see myself after doing Engineering Physics -- ? Or where should I opt for masters to have a successful career. I wish to involve in industry as I already have a BASF Chemical Company internship. Where should I lead with my Engineering Physics degree which would best serve my interest and knowledge (aeronautical, megatronics,mechanical,nanotechnology ??)

Thanks you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
engboysclub said:
I will be studying Bachelor of Engineering in Engineering Physics in Germany.

I wanted to ask the scope of this degree ? I have excelled knowledge in Physics and have at times impressed my physics teachers in A Levels with things they were not aware of.

However, I have always wanted to go towards Mechanical (Megatronics, automobile etc) field.
But after few searches on this forum and internet, I feel Engineering Physics is quite better and has a better caliber than mechanical engineering.

Now I wanted some guidance, I wish to know, where can I see myself after doing Engineering Physics -- ? Or where should I opt for masters to have a successful career. I wish to involve in industry as I already have a BASF Chemical Company internship. Where should I lead with my Engineering Physics degree which would best serve my interest and knowledge (aeronautical, megatronics,mechanical,nanotechnology ??)

Thanks you
Hello, can I ask at which university in Germany did you study engineering physics? because I am looking for Engineering physics program in Germany but didn't find any.
Also, can you update me on what did you do with your degree?

I'll vote "none of the above".

Study what you are most interested in, but don't be frequently changing your mind. It is common out in the real world (i.e. industry) to see people with a fairly wide range of STEM backgrounds working effectively in slightly different fields. I worked for many years at a pre-eminent Laser company, and some of the best engineers there were working slightly outside of their educational backgrounds. For example, a Physical Chemist who knew all about cavity resonances modes, non-linear optics, and semi-conductor lasers because he was interested in it and learned what he needed. Also, one of the sharpest minds there (many ,many laser patents) who "only" had an MS in physics.

Yes you will need to choose a major, which can be unfortunate, but as much as possible take the classes that excite your interest and then figure out what the best administrative choice is. Honestly, once you've graduated people really don't care too much about what is written on your diploma (within reason), they care about what you know and what you can do.

Remember, you are ultimately in charge of your education, which will be a lifelong process. Deal with the administrative requirements as you must. Study some subjects that you don't like too much, but will need to know to do the other stuff you like. Follow your passion.

Likes Menna_Ali and hutchphd
DaveE said:
I'll vote "none of the above".

Study what you are most interested in, but don't be frequently changing your mind. It is common out in the real world (i.e. industry) to see people with a fairly wide range of STEM backgrounds working effectively in slightly different fields. I worked for many years at a pre-eminent Laser company, and some of the best engineers there were working slightly outside of their educational backgrounds. For example, a Physical Chemist who knew all about cavity resonances modes, non-linear optics, and semi-conductor lasers because he was interested in it and learned what he needed. Also, one of the sharpest minds there (many ,many laser patents) who "only" had an MS in physics.

Yes you will need to choose a major, which can be unfortunate, but as much as possible take the classes that excite your interest and then figure out what the best administrative choice is. Honestly, once you've graduated people really don't care too much about what is written on your diploma (within reason), they care about what you know and what you can do.

Remember, you are ultimately in charge of your education, which will be a lifelong process. Deal with the administrative requirements as you must. Study some subjects that you don't like too much, but will need to know to do the other stuff you like. Follow your passion.
Thank you for your advice, can you tell me which university in Germany did you study Engineering physics?
Also, if you can advise me I want to close the gap between physics and engineering, I have a bachelor's in physics but I didn't like taking all these theories without applying them to a real-world problem and I know studying Engineering is the way to do that. can you direct me to master's programs where I can close this gap?

Last edited:
Menna_Ali said:
Hello, can I ask at which university in Germany did you study engineering physics? because I am looking for Engineering physics program in Germany but didn't find any.
Also, can you update me on what did you do with your degree?
I hope you realize that the original Post #1 that you cited was dated April 6, 2012, and the original poster was last seen on this forum on Feb 1, 2013.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Vanadium 50
Menna_Ali said:
which university in Germany did you study Engineering physics?
None. All of my degrees are in California, and too long ago to be of any use in navigating administrative stuff anyway.

CrysPhys said:
I hope you realize that the original Post #1 that you cited was dated April 6, 2012
Doh! Nope, I missed that too.

1. What are the key areas of focus in engineering physics?

The key areas of focus in engineering physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. These areas combine principles from both physics and engineering to solve complex problems and design innovative technologies.

2. What are the career prospects for someone with a degree in engineering physics?

A degree in engineering physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and telecommunications. Graduates can work as engineers, researchers, consultants, or in leadership positions in these industries.

3. What skills are required to excel in engineering physics?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in math and physics, and a strong understanding of engineering principles are essential for success in engineering physics. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other engineers and scientists.

4. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in engineering physics?

While a bachelor's degree in engineering physics can lead to entry-level positions in the field, a graduate degree can open up more advanced and specialized career opportunities. It also allows for further research and development in a specific area of interest.

5. How can I best prepare for a career in engineering physics?

To prepare for a career in engineering physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics. Taking advanced courses in these subjects, as well as gaining hands-on experience through internships and research opportunities, can also be beneficial. Developing good problem-solving skills and staying up-to-date with advancements in technology and engineering principles is also crucial.