Finding the Total Combinations When Two Oldest Children Cannot Be Both Chosen

In summary, the total number of combinations for selecting 4 children out of 8, where the two oldest children cannot be both chosen, is 55. This is obtained by subtracting the number of combinations where both of the oldest boys are chosen (1 combination) from the total number of combinations for selecting 4 children from the remaining 6 (15 combinations).
Ryoukomaru
4 children out of 8 will be selected. But two oldest children can not be both chosen. Total number of combinations = ?

The mutually exclusive situations are really confusing me.
I know if they were independent, total n. of combinations would be
[tex]\frac{8!}{(8-4)!4!}=70[/tex]

I need to subtract the total number of combinations with one of the two oldest boys. I am at a dead end, even though i feel like i know how to do it. My mind kinda went blank.

PS. This is the last question i need to answer to finish my "beutifully done" homework. help :P I have high expectations from this piece of art. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ryoukomaru said:
4 children out of 8 will be selected. But two oldest children can not be both chosen. Total number of combinations = ?

The mutually exclusive situations are really confusing me.
I know if they were independent, total n. of combinations would be
[tex]\frac{8!}{(8-4)!4!}=70[/tex]

I need to subtract the total number of combinations with one of the two oldest boys.

You need to subtract the no. of combinations involving both of the oldest boys. How many such combinations will there be ?

Simple. First two pick both of the oldest boys. This can be done in exactly 1 way. Now you have to pick 2 more boys from the remaining 6. You know how to do this.

Subtract from original to get final answer.

Ahhh that would be [tex]^6C_2=15[/tex] so 55 is the final answer. Thx a lot. :smile:

I have been looking at the question from a different angle since the beginning.

Last edited:

What is the problem of "Finding the Total Combinations When Two Oldest Children Cannot Be Both Chosen"?

The problem is to determine the total number of combinations when choosing two children from a group of siblings, where the two oldest children cannot be both chosen.

Why is this problem important?

This problem can arise in various scenarios, such as selecting a pair of students for a project or choosing two employees for a task. It is important to accurately calculate the total combinations to ensure fairness and avoid bias.

How do I solve this problem?

The formula for finding the total combinations is nC2 - (n-2)C2, where n is the total number of children. This calculates the combinations of choosing two children from all the siblings, and then subtracts the combinations of choosing two children from the two oldest siblings.

Can this problem be solved for more than two oldest children?

Yes, the formula can be extended for any number of oldest children. For example, if three oldest children cannot be chosen, the formula becomes nC2 - (n-2)C2 - (n-3)C2.

Are there any other factors to consider when solving this problem?

Yes, it is important to also consider whether the order of choosing the children matters or not. If the order does not matter, then the formula becomes n!/2!(n-2)!, where n is the total number of children. If the order matters, then the formula remains the same as nC2 - (n-2)C2.