Energy release from beta plus decay

In summary, astatine-210 undergoes a beta-plus decay into polonium-210 with a single negative charge. The energy released by this decay can be calculated by subtracting the mass of polonium-210 from the mass of astatine-210, taking into account the mass of the positron and multiplying by 931.5. However, for β+ decay, it is important to properly handle the masses of the electrons involved.
joeshmo
1. Astatine-210 decays through a beta-plus decay process. Use the table in section 29-8 (see the link above) to find the relevant masses for this decay, and calculate the energy (in MeV) released by the decay of one such atom. You can neglect the mass of the neutrino that is one of the decay products.

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried subtracting the mass of polonium from the mass of astatine and then multiplying it by by 931.5 but i keep getting it wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
I know this question is old but I thought I should post anyway. I believe astatine-210 decays into polonium-210 with a single negative charge. You also have to account for the mass of the positron. I'm not sure if this is correct, I've been looking for how to find energy from beta plus decay aswell

Well, what's the relevant information in the table in section 29-8 ?
From what I can find (and also here) the decay is through electron capture.

1. What is beta plus decay?

Beta plus decay, also known as positron emission, is a nuclear reaction in which a proton in the nucleus is converted into a neutron, releasing a positron (a positively charged particle) and a neutrino.

2. How is energy released in beta plus decay?

In beta plus decay, the energy is released through the conversion of a proton into a neutron. This process results in the emission of a positron and a neutrino, which carry away the excess energy from the nucleus.

3. What is the difference between beta plus decay and beta minus decay?

The main difference between beta plus decay and beta minus decay is the type of particle emitted. In beta plus decay, a positron is emitted, while in beta minus decay, an electron is emitted. This difference is due to the different types of reactions that occur in the nucleus.

4. How is beta plus decay used in medical imaging?

Beta plus decay is used in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans. This is because the positron emitted during beta plus decay can be detected and used to create images of the body's metabolic processes, providing valuable information for diagnosing and monitoring diseases.

5. Is beta plus decay a dangerous process?

Beta plus decay is a natural process that occurs in many radioactive elements, and it is not considered dangerous in small amounts. However, exposure to large amounts of positron-emitting substances can be harmful, which is why proper safety precautions are taken when using beta plus decay in medical or scientific applications.