What are you currently reading?

• Thread starter Infinitum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation is about what books the participants are currently reading and their thoughts on them. Some of the books mentioned include Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh, Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan, A Life of Discovery: Michael Faraday, Giant of the Scientific Revolution by James Hamilton, For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway, The Roman Invasion of Britain, Chinatown: Portrait of a Closed Society, The Monster of Florence by Preston & Spezi, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Origins: Fourteen Billion Years Of Cosmic Evolution by Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Donald Goldsmith, Humanizing the Economy: Co-operatives in the Age of Capital by
Currently reading the new edition of "An Introduction to Behavioral Ecology" (4th edition) by Davies, Krebs and West as well as "An Introduction to Cognitive Behavior Therapy: Skills and Applications" (2nd edition).

I am thinking of getting the Kindle version of "Dogmatism in Science and Medicine: How Dominant Theories Monopolize Research and Stifle the Search for Truth" by the pseudoscientist Henry Bauer (where he rejects everything from Big Bang to vaccines, but promotes a belief in the Loch Ness monster) and write a detailed point-by-point refutation online, but not sure I want to waste 14 dollars on... well, crap.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tuesdays with Morrie. I know the author, and had to confess{shame faced} to him that I had not read it. He sent me my own copy:biggrin:

Imperial Hubris - Michael Scheuer
Manufacturing Consent - Edward Herman/Noam Chomsky

Way too much, since I'm going abroad in a month and there are all these books at home that I want to finish before leaving! But two that I'm trying to focus on atm are
The Road to Reality by Roger Penrose
The Philosophy of Quantum Mechanics by Max Jammer

I was given a box of old paperbacks by a friend that didn't want them. I understand why. I've put them in the bathroom and have been reading them there.

DO NOT READ

Prince of Chaos or The Hand of Oberon by Roger Zelazny unless you are desperate.

Yendi by Steven Brust, don't even read it if you are desperate.

The Stars are also Fire by Poul Anderson. I thought I liked Poul Anderson. Unlikeable characters, not enough character building, disjointed story, no appeal, empty. You look at the book and wonder if he had to write it to meet a contractual obligation.

Currently three-quarters of W.W. Chua's "Harvesting in Famine". I'll be starting soon on C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters"

nei14 said:
... I'll be starting soon on C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters"

A book that essentially claims that losing faith in religion is the work of demons. It's still popular nonetheless, and the format of it sounds unique.

________

Along with my previously mentioned books, I'm now going through the most recent addition of The TIME's Complete History of the World. It's a massive book, but the pages are large enough to comfortably fit pictures, diagrams, charts, etc. along with the text. I would like to think that I'm well versed with Europe's history (and the U.S's ridiculously brief history), but I am almost entirely ignorant of Asia's extensive history, along with the rest of the world. I personally feel like we have so much to learn from our past, and that understanding what brought us into the situations that we are currently in ultimately gives us a better comprehension of what's going on in this chaotic mess.

I finally proceeded to SoIF 3... Liked Game of thrones better than the second, hoping this one is good.

As for non-fiction I'm reading Hitler's biography, by Kershaw. This is the first time I have gone for a biography, and its quite interesting.

Fiction: 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline -- fun 80's tech noir for those old enough to remember.

Have to differ with Evo on Zelazny. I have really enjoyed most of his writing, including the whole Amber series. He is best in short story form tho.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
A book that essentially claims that losing faith in religion is the work of demons ...

I guess that the summary that I read earlier was wrong. I now know that it's a piece of satire, and not meant to be taken literally.

Infinitum said:
I finally proceeded to SoIF 3... Liked Game of thrones better than the second, hoping this one is good.
I enjoy the series but it is hard going at times. I'm onto book 5 but haven't picked it up in over a month. IMO one of the best things about the series is also a failing, it paints an epic and believable fantasy land but because of that new characters and factions are constantly being introduced and old ones either dying or their story ending (or even worse just fading into the background). As such the story arc feels quite frayed, better to be treated as an anthology of stories taking place in the same world at roughly the same time rather than an interlocking set of journeys.

The Red Queen by Matt Ridley. Pretty interesting thing, but for some reason I find it difficult to read. Either I am slightly incompatible with his English/line of thinking, or I am not as sharp as I pretend to be. I feel like I will need to read it more than once.

A short history of the world by H.G.Wells. I finished half of it and it guided me from time immemorial to the Middle Ages.

Martin Rivas - Kinematical Theory of Spinning Particles

rolerbe said:
Have to differ with Evo on Zelazny. I have really enjoyed most of his writing, including the whole Amber series. He is best in short story form tho.
I guess I've just read so many great fantasy novels (Jordan, Feist, Eddings, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman ...) that his work wasn't what I was used to.

I just started Ender's Game, now that is what I'm used to, having trouble putting it down.

Evo said:
I just started Ender's Game, now that is what I'm used to, having trouble putting it down.

One of my favorites!

I'm reading Marching Powder, a book about the infamous Bolivian prison San Pedro

Evo said:
I guess I've just read so many great fantasy novels (Jordan, Feist, Eddings, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman ...) that his work wasn't what I was used to.

I think sometimes when (age, context, etc.) one encounters a work can seriously color the reception. If one is game to give Zelazny another try, look at his short story collections: Unicorn Variations, Last Defender of Camelot. If you don't like anything in either of them, give up on RZ.

Ender's Game is a treasure. I've given it as a gift at least a dozen times to nieces, nephews, random kids off the street, etc. Always comes back a winner. That said, I'm fairly lukewarm on the subsequent beating-to-death in sequels, etc. given it by the author.

Just finished A Beautiful Mind by Silvia Nasar.

The Ron Howard film of the book is about 80% fiction it turns out. The things he included were so heavily altered they're misleading, and, more importantly, discovering the very dark things he completely left out significantly change your view of Nash. I feel, after having read the book, it should have been filmed by Quentin Tarantino or Stanley Kubrick or David Lynch. Someone who can do weird and dark from the inside. Ron Howard is just too upbeat a person to tackle this material without having to grossly alter it.

Currently reading: Why E=MC^2 and why should we care? by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw

Just finished Impact by Douglas Preston. Bizarre object from the sky lands in Maine causing global upset. Hit men are hired, secret agents are dispatched to the jungles of Cambodia, and a Princeton Astronomy student must run for her life. Very entertaining! I really like this writer.

zoobyshoe said:
... I really like this writer.

I've noticed that a lot of the books that you posted recently were from him. I might have to check some of them out.

the god particle
zero: the biography of a dangerous idea
the oxford histrory of ancient egypt

curently reading:
laser: supertool of the 1980s
relativity, special and general theory
audel, complete building construction
small business for dummies
the home water supply. story
the lego book
investing online for dummies

AnTiFreeze3 said:
I've noticed that a lot of the books that you posted recently were from him. I might have to check some of them out.
He's kind of like Michael Crichton but with much better pacing. Crichton loses sense of the flow sometimes and you feel the narrative is sitting at an intersection waiting for a red light to change. Preston always seems to be moving and very often accelerating. They're not great literature, obviously, but I always feel effortlessly pulled through them; very easy reading, very entertaining. There's always a big sci-fi element in the background but the action is mostly grounded in cloak-and-dagger.

The books he co-authors with Lincoln Childs have a distinctly different edge: they're more horror, like Stephen King. I've enjoyed the solo Preston books more.

zoobyshoe said:
He's kind of like Michael Crichton but with much better pacing. Crichton loses sense of the flow sometimes and you feel the narrative is sitting at an intersection waiting for a red light to change. Preston always seems to be moving and very often accelerating. They're not great literature, obviously, but I always feel effortlessly pulled through them; very easy reading, very entertaining. There's always a big sci-fi element in the background but the action is mostly grounded in cloak-and-dagger.

The books he co-authors with Lincoln Childs have a distinctly different edge: they're more horror, like Stephen King. I've enjoyed the solo Preston books more.

I've been bogged down by non-fiction books lately. I'm currently in this mood where I recognize that my time is limited (as we all do), and I feel as if should be taking advantage of the time that I have to learn as much as possible. (Knowledge is power, anyone?)

Anyways, I miss fiction books dearly. For one reason or another, I was a ridiculously avid reader as a child. No matter the reason, I read far more books than I would think is normal (while at the same time, I neglected the importance of math until my recent 'eureka' moment I had this last year). The books that I read when I was younger were always fast-paced stories of other worlds that I could fantasize about, and often included time travel, other dimensions, and meticulously crafted plots that probably fueled my passion for reading.

I've purchased four non-fiction books recently, and once I finish them, I know that I'll be returning to my long-lost love of a fast-paced novel. I think that there's a reconcilable consensus that novels read much faster than non-fiction literature, so I can't wait to start burning through books again.

I am currently reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, by Catherynne M. Valente. It's ostensibly a children's book, but the very best kind--smart and well-written and compelling. There's even a coy reference to quantum superposition, a la Schrodinger's Cat.

Along with The Lucifer Effect, I picked up Why Not Me? from my library.

It's by Al Franken, one of the original writers for SNL, and a current Senator (although the book was written in 1999, and he ran for office in 2009).

It's basically a completely fictional account of his run for the Presidency, and he makes himself come off as a complete moron. It's extremely funny, and I'm really enjoying it so far. He is Jewish, and this is one particular part that I enjoyed:

"It's hard to imagine now, but in 1962 many people felt that only members of certain religious groups, such as Presbyterians and Episcopalians, for example, were qualified to be president. In fact, America had just elected (and was about to shoot) its first Catholic president. In 1960, when John F. Kennedy launched his bid for the White House, there were many, my parents among them, who believed that a Catholic was unfit to serve as America's leader; that all Catholics were in thrall to their puppet master in Rome: the Pope; that they were intellectually ill-equipped for anything more than brutish manual labor and the hollow re-creation of excessive devotion to the superstitious hocus-pocus of their beloved Mother Church.

Irish Catholics in particular were regarded as drunkards and loutish potato eaters who, given half a chance, would sooner spend their last dime in the neighborhood saloon than buy food for their drooling simpleton of a wife and her innumerable brood of squalling infants, each one an unwelcomed addition to the Pope's legions of brainless drones.

That was then.

Now, in 1999, only Arabs are held in the sort of contempt once reserved for Catholics, Jews, and Communists. It will still be many years before America has its first Arab president but I hope I am alive to see that day. Also, I think it will be a long time before we see a Hispanic president. Also, blacks."

I just finished "The Guernsey Literature and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (unfortunately, Mary Ann Shaffer's health underwent a rapid and serious descent, requiring her niece to do the bulk of the work turning the initial draft into a final product).

Some of my ancestors are from Guernsey Island, which is why the title caught my eye. The novel is about the German occupation of Guernsey Island and is told entirely in letters written by the characters in the story to each other.

What a great book! The main character reminded me a little of Evo. In fact, the format kind of gave it the feel of reading an iternet forum.

Now I need to find a good recipe for Potato Peel Pie!

I just finished Slaughterhouse Five. Vonnegut is so very odd. I've read a few other books by him, Galapagos and something else I think. But I haven't decided if I like him or not...

Gale, long time no see.

Currently I am reading this thread.

The last time I (re)read fiction was in a plane. That was "Mooi is dat" (beautiful that is) from Marten Toonder. Although the plots of the stories are not very complicated, they show a very keen sense for human interaction. But it's especially the absolute brilliant use of language that makes one savour it sentence by sentence.

It also makes it hard to translate.

<<What are you currently reading?>>

Right now I am currently reading your post on Physics Forums.

I've been alternately reading Jerry Coyne's "Why Evolution is True," Michio Kaku's "Physics of the Future," and Christopher Moore's "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff."
It looks like I'll finish Moore's novel first, though.

Darwin's On the Origin of Species.

A Tour of the Calculus by David Berlinski. I have previously read this guy's biography of Newton. His writing style is refreshingly insane, as if he's on Coke or having a manic episode. No dry, tedious math here. In Berlinski's hands Math is an emotionally charged subject, full of storm and stress or lyrical, romantic beauty; calculus if Beethoven had invented it.

zoobyshoe said:
A Tour of the Calculus by David Berlinski. I have previously read this guy's biography of Newton. His writing style is refreshingly insane, as if he's on Coke or having a manic episode. No dry, tedious math here. In Berlinski's hands Math is an emotionally charged subject, full of storm and stress or lyrical, romantic beauty; calculus if Beethoven had invented it.

I've read that book. That was a good read.

Pretty Shield

along with 1000 other books I've purchased and not gotten past the first 2 pages.

TIME!

The next book I will buy and probably not read is by Farley Mowat; "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float". Recommended to me by someone that saw me pumping my boat out 3 weekends ago. :tongue2: