A way to express scalar triple product from inter-vector angles?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a general expression for the scalar triple product of 3 vectors in a simultaneous configuration, based on the inter-vector angles and using spherical polar coordinates. The person has expressed the quantity and equations for the dot product of each possible pair, but is unsure if it can be rearranged with trig identities. They are seeking assistance with finding a general expression or a lead to one. They also mention using Mathematica to help with their calculations.
DanAbnormal
Hi,

I'm trying to find a general expression for the scalar triple product for 3 vectors in a simultaneous configuration, that depends only on the inter-vector angles, A1, A2 and A3.

I have expressed this quantity in terms of the spherical polar coordinates of the vectors (the length being unity for simplicity), and I have also expressed 3 equations for the dot product of each possible pair using spherical coordinates, to get a relation to the inter-vector angles.

Now I don't know if this is just a simple case of rearranging with trig identities, but I've been trying it for hours, can't find anything on the net and I'm not too good with Mathematica etc, so I was just wondering if there was a general expression, or a good lead to one.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Could you give an example of what you have?(the vectors) If I can't manually solve them, I may be able to help you punch them into mathematica.

Hi DanAbnormal :smile:
DanAbnormal said:
I'm trying to find a general expression for the scalar triple product for 3 vectors in a simultaneous configuration, that depends only on the inter-vector angles, A1, A2 and A3.

I have expressed this quantity in terms of the spherical polar coordinates of the vectors (the length being unity for simplicity) …

In other words: given the lengths of three sides of a spherical triangle (the lengths are the same as your inter-vector angles),

find the volume of the pyramid formed by the three vertices and the centre?

If you use one of the standard spherical trig formulas to find one of the angles of the triangle, you can put that vertex at the north pole, and then it's easy to find the cartesian coordinates of the other two vertices. :wink:

Im not sure if your answer is equivalent, though I'll post what I have more explicitly.

In Mathematica, I have specified the three following vectors in terms of their spherical polar angles:

x1 = 0 Degree;
x2 = 0 Degree;
x3 = 180 Degree;
z1 = 0 Degree;
z2 = 120 Degree;
z3 = 240 Degree;

where the preceding x's mean angle from x axis, and the same for z.
Now I have the cosine of each inter vector angle given by:

Angle1 = Sin[z2]*Sin[z3]*Cos[x2 - x3] + Cos[z2]*Cos[z3];
Angle2 = Sin[z1]*Sin[z3]*Cos[x1 - x3] + Cos[z1]*Cos[z3];
Angle3 = Sin[z1]*Sin[z3]*Cos[x1 - x3] + Cos[z1]*Cos[z3];

I can express the Scalar Triple Product in the following way:

Needs["VectorAnalysis`"]
(*First express our vectors in Spherical Polar Coordinates*)
v1 = CoordinatesToCartesian[{1, x1, z1}, Spherical];
v2 = CoordinatesToCartesian[{1, x2, z2}, Spherical];
v3 = CoordinatesToCartesian[{1, x3, z3}, Spherical];

N[ScalarTripleProduct[v1, v2, v3]]

I was wondering if there is a way to express this same triple product as a function of Angle1, Angle2, and Angle3 only, defined above. Can this be done in Mathematica?

I understand your desire to find a general expression for the scalar triple product in terms of inter-vector angles. However, I must caution that such a formula may not exist or may be extremely complex. The scalar triple product is a geometric quantity that involves the magnitudes and directions of three vectors, and it is typically calculated using the vector cross product. While it is possible to express the scalar triple product in terms of spherical coordinates, this may not necessarily lead to a simpler formula.

I recommend continuing to explore trigonometric identities and using mathematical software to assist in your calculations. You may also want to consult with a mathematician or physicist for further insight on this problem. It is important to keep in mind that sometimes, the most elegant solutions are the simplest ones, and a complex formula may not be necessary to understand the relationship between inter-vector angles and the scalar triple product.

1. What is a scalar triple product?

A scalar triple product is a mathematical operation that involves three vectors, which results in a scalar quantity (a single number). It is calculated by taking the dot product of one vector with the cross product of the other two vectors.

2. How is the scalar triple product related to inter-vector angles?

The scalar triple product is related to inter-vector angles because it can be used to express the angle between two vectors in terms of the angle between the third vector and the cross product of the other two vectors.

3. Can the scalar triple product be negative?

Yes, the scalar triple product can be negative. This occurs when the angle between two of the vectors is greater than 90 degrees.

4. What is the significance of the scalar triple product in physics?

The scalar triple product has many applications in physics, particularly in mechanics and electromagnetism. It can be used to calculate torque, work, and energy in mechanical systems, as well as the magnetic moment in electromagnetism.

5. How is the scalar triple product calculated?

The scalar triple product is calculated by taking the dot product of one vector with the cross product of the other two vectors. It can also be expressed as the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, with the three vectors as the rows or columns.