Spectrum of Stars: Explaining the Spectral Lines of Stars

In summary: The absorption lines are caused when a star's light passes through a medium, such as Earth's atmosphere, and some of the light is absorbed by the gas or particles in the atmosphere. The emission lines are the ones that we see when we look at a star, and they are caused by the star's light passing through a vacuum.
ehabmozart
I've been deep into this topic for a couple of days and it is becoming just more and more confusing. I am yet a beginner so i would like explanations to be detailed and easy. Moving directly, my doubt is.. We treat stars as black bodies which emit radiation... From where did the stars originally get their energy or atleast energy of all wavelength from.. Fusion?? .. Secondly, how do we detect the elctromagentic radiation.. Is it by naked eyes on a specific telescope or something.. Importantly, it is given in my book the spectral lines of different stars... O B A .etc... How u would clasify that for example all O class stars would have the same composition.. And i can see a trend in the lines from O to M class... I just need a detailed explanation of these spectral line.. And how would an object which orignally showed contionous spectrum would actually show and absorbtion spectrum?? I really really need the help.. It is urgent... Pass by any sentence.. It is worth reading every word in this topic... Please reply... Thanks in advance to whoever dominates in giving me the answer

Astronomy news on Phys.org
ehabmozart said:
I've been deep into this topic for a couple of days and it is becoming just more and more confusing. I am yet a beginner so i would like explanations to be detailed and easy. Moving directly, my doubt is.. We treat stars as black bodies which emit radiation... From where did the stars originally get their energy or atleast energy of all wavelength from.. Fusion?? ..

Initially each star was a huge cloud of gas and dust spread out in an area of space. At some point this gas was made to be unstable, perhaps by a supernova shock-wave in the interstellar medium, and began to collapse under the influence of gravity. As gas collapses or is compressed it heats up. An object that is above absolute zero emits a spectrum of radiation that depends mostly on it's temperature and a little bit on its composition. As the gas collapsed further the temperature rose higher and higher. Finally, once the gas had collapsed into a large spherical shape, the temperature finally reached the point where hydrogen could begin fusing in it's core, and thus the star is born.

One key thing here to understand is that the star gets its energy initially from gravitational collapse. Just like a falling object has energy, a collapsing gas cloud does too. Fusion effectively replaces the gravitational energy lost by radiation.

Secondly, how do we detect the elctromagentic radiation.. Is it by naked eyes on a specific telescope or something..

We use spectrographs on a telescope to separate the light into a spectrum, like a prism does to white light, and a camera to record the light itself.

Importantly, it is given in my book the spectral lines of different stars... O B A .etc... How u would clasify that for example all O class stars would have the same composition.. And i can see a trend in the lines from O to M class... I just need a detailed explanation of these spectral line..

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_classification

And how would an object which orignally showed contionous spectrum would actually show and absorbtion spectrum?? I really really need the help.. It is urgent... Pass by any sentence.. It is worth reading every word in this topic... Please reply... Thanks in advance to whoever dominates in giving me the answer

Stars do not show a continuous spectrum, although they may appear to if your instrument isn't sensitive enough to separate or record the lines.

Actually, stars do emit a continuous spectrum, but, include both emission and absorption lines.

1. What is a spectrum of stars?

A spectrum of stars is a range of colors or wavelengths of light emitted by a star. This spectrum is unique for each star and can provide valuable information about its composition, temperature, and other physical properties.

2. How are spectral lines created?

Spectral lines are created when electrons in the outer energy levels of an atom absorb or emit specific wavelengths of light. These wavelengths correspond to the energy differences between the different energy levels of the atom. When the light is passed through a spectroscope, it appears as dark or bright lines depending on whether the light was absorbed or emitted by the atoms in the star's atmosphere.

3. What do the different types of spectral lines represent?

The different types of spectral lines represent different elements present in the star's atmosphere. For example, hydrogen lines represent the presence of hydrogen gas, while calcium lines represent the presence of calcium gas. By analyzing the intensity and placement of these lines, scientists can determine the chemical composition of the star.

4. How does the temperature of a star affect its spectral lines?

The temperature of a star affects the energy of its electrons, which in turn affects the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted. Hotter stars have more energetic electrons, resulting in shorter wavelengths and higher energy spectral lines. Cooler stars have less energetic electrons, resulting in longer wavelengths and lower energy spectral lines.

5. How is the spectrum of a star used to determine its distance?

The spectrum of a star can be used to determine its distance through a method called spectroscopic parallax. By comparing the observed spectral lines of a star to known spectral lines of similar stars, scientists can calculate the star's luminosity and use this information to determine its distance from Earth.