Problem Accessing Physics Forums

• Bug
  • Thread starter dimension10
  • Start date
In summary, the user experienced trouble accessing Physics Forums after installing a Tapatalk notifier app. It was initially working well, but then the user encountered a DNS lookup failure and was unable to access the forum. After uninstalling the app, the user was able to access the forum again. It is unclear if the app was the cause of the issue or if the forum was down for a short period of time. It is also suggested that the app may have been trying to connect to a different domain, causing the DNS lookup to fail. The forum admin confirms that the forum was not down for an extended period of time and cannot comment on the Tapatalk notifier app. The user clarifies that they were using the free Tapatalk notifier
dimension10
A few days back when I came to Physics Forums, I noticed a pop-up telling me to install "Taptalk notifier" which would notify me whenever a new post would come in a forum which I had subscribed to. It worked quite well for a few days and then suddenly I couldn't access Physics forums and my Browser (Chrome) would say that the DNS lookup failed. After I uninstalled the Taptalk notifier (because I thought it was causing my battery to run out quickly), I could then access Physics Forums properly again.

So, was the problem really related to the Taptalk notifier or was Physics Forums down for a few days?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what that app does exactly, so all I can tell you is a) I don't think PF has been down, and b) a DNS lookup is a question of the form "what's the IP address that corresponds to the DNS name www.physicsforums.com?". Your operating system sends such questions all the time, not to PF, but to your internet service provider's DNS server.

Maybe the app is having your operating system ask DNS questions about some other domain name than physicsforums.com. For example, it could try to connect to the developer's website to verify that you have paid for a license before it let's you do anything. Then if the DNS server doesn't recognize the domain name, your app won't know what IP address it should try to connect to, and the whole thing will fail.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
I don't know what that app does exactly, so all I can tell you is a) I don't think PF has been down, and b) a DNS lookup is a question of the form "what's the IP address that corresponds to the DNS name www.physicsforums.com?". Your operating system sends such questions all the time, not to PF, but to your internet service provider's DNS server.

Maybe the app is having your operating system ask DNS questions about some other domain name than physicsforums.com. If the app needs those questions answered to work, then this could explain it.

I had tried accessing the ip address corresponding to physics forums when I wasn't able to access it, but it hadn't worked. Thanks for your reply.

Forum wasn't down for any extended period of time. Forum is down for a several minutes during backup every day (which is around 8:30 my time, it is 14:41 here now so you can check when I posted and see if it was a moment you had trouble accessing the forum.

Can't comment on tapatalk.

This isn't something Tapatalk COULD have caused in the first place.

Borek said:
Forum wasn't down for any extended period of time. Forum is down for a several minutes during backup every day (which is around 8:30 my time, it is 14:41 here now so you can check when I posted and see if it was a moment you had trouble accessing the forum.

Can't comment on tapatalk.

No, I couldn't access Physics Forums anytime in the day (or night)

Chemicist said:
This isn't something Tapatalk COULD have caused in the first place.

I forgot to mention, I am talking about the Free Tapatalk notifier not the Tapatalk app.

1) What is the cause of the problem accessing Physics Forums?

The most common cause of this problem is a technical issue with the website. This could be due to server maintenance, a temporary outage, or a glitch in the system. It could also be caused by a problem with your internet connection or device.

2) How can I fix the problem accessing Physics Forums?

First, try refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If that doesn't work, check to see if there are any known issues with the website or if other users are experiencing the same problem. You can also try accessing the website from a different device or internet connection. If the problem persists, you can contact the website's support team for further assistance.

3) Is there a way to prevent this problem from happening in the future?

Unfortunately, technical issues can happen unexpectedly and are out of our control. However, you can try using a different browser or updating your current browser to see if that helps. It's also a good idea to regularly clear your browser's cache and cookies to ensure a smoother browsing experience.

4) How long will it take for the problem to be resolved?

The amount of time it takes to fix a problem with the website varies and depends on the cause of the issue. Sometimes, it can be resolved quickly, while other times it may take longer. If the issue persists for an extended period, you can reach out to the website's support team for an update.

5) Can I still access Physics Forums through other means?

If the website is experiencing technical difficulties, you may not be able to access it directly. However, you can try accessing it through other means, such as using a different URL or accessing it through a search engine. You can also follow the website's social media pages for updates on the issue and alternative ways to access the website.