Linear Algebra - Jordan form basis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Jordan basis for a given matrix A and the method used to find it. One person suggests using the method of finding more vectors through Ker (A-λI)^j, while another suggests using the method of finding a solution for (A-3I)v_3 = λv_2+μv_4. The conversation also addresses questions about the validity and equivalence of these methods. By the end of the conversation, the original poster has resolved their questions and is able to move forward with finding the Jordan basis.
oferon
Hi all,
I'm having trouble finding jordan basis for matrix A, e.g. the P matrix of: [itex]J=P^{-1}AP[/itex]
Given [itex]A = \begin{pmatrix} 4 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ -1 & 2 & -1 & -1 \\ 6 & 1 & -1 & 1 \\ -6 & -1 & 4 & 2 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

I found Jordan form to be: [itex]J = \begin{pmatrix} -2 & & & \\ & 3 & 1 & \\ & & 3 & \\ & & & 3 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Now wer'e looking for [itex]v_1, v_2, v_3, v_4[/itex] such that:

[itex] Av_1 = -2v_1 → (A+2I)v_1=0[/itex]
[itex]Av_2 = 3v_2 → (A-3I)v_2=0[/itex]
[itex]Av_3 = v_2+3v_3 → (A-3I)v_3=v_2[/itex]
[itex]Av_4 = 3v_4 → (A-3I)v_4=0 [/itex]

So now I find: [itex]v_1 = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix} \hspace{10mm} v_2,v_4 = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix},\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Now I try to solve [itex] (A-3I)v_3=v_2[/itex] for each of the possible v2's I just found above, but there's no solution for any of em'...

[itex]A = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ -1 & -1 & -1 & -1 \\ 6 & 1 & -4 & 1 \\ -6 & -1 & 4 & -1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ w \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix}\hspace{5mm} OR \hspace{5mm} A = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ -1 & -1 & -1 & -1 \\ 6 & 1 & -4 & 1 \\ -6 & -1 & 4 & -1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ w \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]Where am I going wrong? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi oferon! :smile:

Did you consider that the proper v2 could be a linear combination of your current v2 and v4?
What if you try ##\lambda v_2 + \mu v_4## to find v3?

If it was a linear combination of other vectors then V1-4 would not be a basis.. Am I wrong?

Plus, another student told me the method I tried was completely wrong and that the correct method is finding more vectors through
[itex] Ker (A-λI)^j[/itex] where j=2,3,... depends on how many more vectors I need for my basis.

Which of the methods should I use? Any why? I'm lost :confused:

Last edited:
oferon said:
If it was a linear combination of other vectors then V1-4 would not be a basis.. Am I wrong?

You need to find a ##v_3## that satisfies ##(A-3I)v_3=λv_2+μv_4##.
When you find it, v1-v4 will form a basis.
Plus, another student told me the method I tried was completely wrong and that the correct method is finding more vectors through
[itex] Ker (A-λI)^j[/itex] where j=2,3,... depends on how many more vectors I need for my basis.

That would work too, but it seems to me that it is a lot more work.
(Short story: that student is wrong. Your method is fine. You just did not finish it.)
Which of the methods should I use? Any why? I'm lost :confused:

If you're wondering... try both?

Hi, thanks for your kind replies.

Ok, first I try what you suggested.. I take [itex] (A-3I)v_3 = λv_2+μv_4 [/itex] I get:

[itex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ -1 & -1 & -1 & -1 \\ 6 & 1 & -4 & 1 \\ -6 & -1 & 4 & -1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ w \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} λ \\ μ \\ λ \\ -2λ-μ \end{pmatrix} ----> \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 6 & 1 & -4 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ w \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} λ \\ λ+μ \\ λ \\ -λ-μ \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Now I see it must satisfy [itex] μ = -λ[/itex] so I pick [itex]λ=1, μ=-1[/itex] thus [itex] v_2-v_4=\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -1 \\ 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex] so now I solve: [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ -1 & -1 & -1 & -1 \\ 6 & 1 & -4 & 1 \\ -6 & -1 & 4 & -1 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \\ w \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -1 \\ 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
But the solutions I get are exactly [itex] \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix} , \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix} [/itex] The same v2,v4... So where am I wrong now?

Second thing, I've searched all over the net, and found this method. Yet the method the other student told me is what was taught in class. Can I be 100% sure both methods are equivalent and can be used both in all cases?
I thank you again for your time.

Ok, so I asked our instructor about the second question and yes, both methods are good.
I prefer "my" method, but as you can see I still get stucked with it.. So how do I move on with this [itex] (A-3I)v_3 = λv_2+μv_4 [/itex] ?
Thanks again

Can you find a 3rd solution that is independent of v2 and v4?
(Let's say with the first 2 entries set to zero. ;)

Hmm, ok I see what you say..
So now I have 3 final questions to close this case for good:

1) I thought all solutions were given by span of [itex] \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ -2 \end{pmatrix} , \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix} [/itex]
So where did this [itex] \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex] (tho I agree it IS a solution for this system) come from??

2) How is it possible that [itex]v_2 , v_4[/itex] are solutions of both homogeneous and non-homogeneous
[itex](A−3I)v_3=0[/itex] and [itex](A−3I)v_3=v_2-v_4[/itex]. I doubt if it was just by accident..

3) Final question is how come I'm allowed to go from the equation I got by comparing columns of PJ and AP: [itex](A−3I)v_3=v_2[/itex], ,
to the equation [itex](A−3I)v_3=λv_2+μv_4[/itex]?
The third column in J matrix [itex] \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 3 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex] clearly shows I should find [itex]Av_3=v_2+3v_3[/itex] , not [itex]Av_3=v_2+3v_3-v_4[/itex]

I appreciate your help alot! Thank you.

Oh ok, I discard my 3rd question... The answer is that I pick v2 to be [itex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -1 \\ 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Now I remain only with questions 1, and 2.. More related to equations system rather than J form I suppose

OK, please discard all of my question, I'm an idiot :)
Everything is clear now, I thank you very much for the last time :)

Okay... I just got around to looking at your thread again.
But it seems you've already answered your own questions.

Good! :smile:

1. What is a Jordan form basis?

A Jordan form basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent a matrix in Jordan form. This form is used to simplify the computation of certain operations on matrices, such as finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

2. How is a Jordan form basis different from a standard basis?

A standard basis is a set of vectors that span the entire vector space, while a Jordan form basis only spans a subset of the vector space. Additionally, the vectors in a Jordan form basis are not necessarily orthogonal or unit vectors like in a standard basis.

3. How do you find a Jordan form basis for a given matrix?

To find a Jordan form basis, you first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix. Then, for each eigenvalue, you need to find the corresponding eigenvectors and generalized eigenvectors. The set of all these eigenvectors and generalized eigenvectors will form the Jordan form basis.

4. Can a matrix have multiple Jordan form bases?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple Jordan form bases. This is because for a given eigenvalue, there can be multiple linearly independent eigenvectors and generalized eigenvectors that can be used to form a Jordan form basis.

5. What are the benefits of using a Jordan form basis?

Using a Jordan form basis can simplify the computation of operations on matrices, such as finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. It can also help in understanding the structure of a matrix and revealing its underlying properties. Additionally, it can be useful in solving systems of linear differential equations.