Linear control ODE - exponential convergence?

In summary, Peter finds a constraint on α(t) which ensures that the solution set is linearly independent. He uses the annihilators to find the equation of the line through the points (D-1),(D-2),(D-3). He then shows that as n goes to infinity, vn tends to 0 and therefore u(t) converges to A.
haluza
Hello,

I'm having hard times with the following simple linear ODE coming from a control problem:
$$u(t)' \leq \alpha(t) - u(t)\,,\quad u(0) = u_0 > 0$$
with a given smooth α(t) satisfying
$$0 \leq \alpha(t) \leq u(t) \quad\mbox{for all } t\geq 0.$$
My intuition is that $$\lim_{t\to\infty} u(t) - \alpha(t) = 0,$$
and that the convergence is exponential, i.e., $$|u(t) - \alpha(t)| = u(t) - \alpha(t) \leq c_1 e^{-c_2 t}.$$
For instance, if α was a constant, then the exponential convergence clearly holds (just solve the related ODE and use a "maximum principle").
Do you see a simple proof for time-dependent α (could not prove neither of the "statements" - probably I'm missing something very elementary); or is my intuition wrong?

Many thanks, Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
For a u(t) to exist satisfying those constraints puts constraints on α(t). Not exactly that it is monotonic non-increasing, but something approaching that. Do you know of such a constraint (beyond that implied)?

For the fundamental solution set S={ex,e2x,e3x} can we construct a linear ODE with constant coefficients?

I have verified that the solution set is linearly independent via wronskian. I have got the annihilators as (D-1),(D-2),(D-3). However after that I'm not sure how to proceed. What do I do to get the ODE?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider α(t) as follows:
In the nth period of time B, α(t) = A > 0, except for the last e-n, where it is 0. If u'(t) = α(t) - u(t) and vn = u(Bn) - A,
vn+1 = vne-B - A(1-e-e-n)
> vne-B - Ae-n
So vn > wn where
wn+1 = wne-B - Ae-n
which I believe gives:
wn = Ce-Bn - Ae-n/(e-1-e-B)
wn tends to 0 as n goes to infinity, not going negative. Hence u(t) converges to A, and the difference between u and α exceeds A on occasions beyond any specified t.

Hello Peter,

Thank you for sharing your question and thoughts on this linear control ODE. It seems that your intuition is correct - the convergence to zero is indeed exponential. This can be proven by using the fact that the solution to this ODE can be written as $$u(t) = u_0e^{-t} + \int_0^t\alpha(s)e^{-(t-s)}ds.$$
By substituting this into the ODE, we get
$$u'(t) = \alpha(t)e^{-t} \leq \alpha(t)e^{-t} - u(t)e^{-t} = (\alpha(t) - u(t))e^{-t}.$$
Since we know that $$0 \leq \alpha(t) \leq u(t)$$
for all t, we can conclude that $$u'(t) \leq 0$$
for all t. This means that the solution u(t) is decreasing, and since it starts at a positive value, it must converge to a limit as t goes to infinity. We can also use the fact that $$u(t) \geq \alpha(t)$$
to show that the limit must be zero.

To prove the exponential convergence, we can use the Gronwall's inequality. Let $$v(t) = u(t) - \alpha(t).$$
Then we have $$v'(t) = u'(t) - \alpha'(t) \leq -v(t)e^{-t}$$
and since v(0) = u(0) - α(0) = u0 > 0, we can apply Gronwall's inequality to get
$$v(t) \leq u_0e^{-t}\int_0^te^{s}ds = u_0(e^t-1) \leq c_1e^{c_2t}$$
for some constants $$c_1, c_2 > 0.$$
Therefore, we have $$|u(t) - \alpha(t)| = v(t) \leq c_1e^{c_2t},$$
which shows that the convergence is indeed exponential.

I hope this helps and clarifies your intuition. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

Best,

1. What is a linear control ODE?

A linear control ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical model that describes the dynamic behavior of a system in terms of its inputs, outputs, and internal states. It is a linear equation, meaning that the dependent variable (usually denoted as y) and its derivatives appear only in the first degree.

2. What does "exponential convergence" mean in the context of linear control ODEs?

Exponential convergence refers to the rate at which the solution of a linear control ODE approaches its steady state. It means that the difference between the current state and the steady state decreases exponentially over time.

3. How is exponential convergence achieved in linear control ODEs?

To achieve exponential convergence in a linear control ODE, the system must be designed with appropriate control inputs that will drive the system towards its steady state. This can be done through techniques such as pole placement or model predictive control.

4. What are the benefits of exponential convergence in linear control ODEs?

The main benefit of exponential convergence is that it allows for a faster and more accurate response of the system to changes in its inputs or disturbances. This can lead to improved performance, stability, and robustness of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to exponential convergence in linear control ODEs?

Yes, there are some limitations to exponential convergence in linear control ODEs. One limitation is that it may not be achievable for all systems, as it depends on the system's dynamics and the control inputs available. Another limitation is that achieving exponential convergence may require more complex control strategies, which can be challenging to implement and may lead to increased computational effort.