How much water can evaporate from a room with given humidity and temperature?

• Thread starter TrpnBils
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary: If you're going to ask a beginner question, you kind of need to do a better job of making it not a beginner question.In summary, the humidity in a room of volume 680m^3 at 25C can evaporate 3100kg of water.
TrpnBils

Homework Statement

If the humidity in a room of volume 680m^3 at 25C is 80%, what mass of water can still evaporate from an open pan?

Homework Equations

RH = actual VP/Saturated VP
Density = mass/volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. I'm assuming there is some external information I'm supposed to use, but I don't know what it is. The answer to this problem is apparently 3.1kg.

RH = actual/saturated, so Actual vapor pressure = saturated*RH = 23.8 torr * 0.8 = 19.04torr.

Now I'm assuming you use the density equation, but do I use the density of water? Water vapor? dry air?

How do I relate density back to the actual pressure?

EDIT: Another thought... using PV=nRT?
If I do a whole lot of converting I get P=0.025atm, V = 680,000L, and T = 298K, where R = 0.0821 L*Atm/Mol*K.
Even at that, I still end up with 12.6kg of water, which is still wrong...

Considering in my review section this is labeled as a "beginner review" problem, I have to believe I'm missing something major here...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can the humidity in the room go above 100%?

no. . . .

to get to maximum saturation I still need an additional 4.76 torr of pressure, but I've run it through using those numbers and I'm getting further away from the right answer.

TrpnBils said:
to get to maximum saturation I still need an additional 4.76 torr of pressure, but I've run it through using those numbers and I'm getting further away from the right answer.

I think your 4.76 torr partial pressure is correct. Check your conversion of this into atmospheres. How did you do this?

4.76 torr / 760 = 0.006 atm

I'm about 90 minutes into this problem and finally figured out how to do it about 5 minutes ago. Part of it was that I was looking for an answer of 3.1kg when I should have been looking for 3100 on the calculator since the conversion from moles turns it into grams. I ended up with 174 moles of water after a couple of attempts (both in units of atmospheres and liters as well as a shot with units of pascals and cubic meters). when I multiplied that by 18g/mol for water I would end up with 3132 kilograms (or so I thought)...but I still needed to convert that.

I look at this and wonder why the heck I couldn't see this obvious mistake from the get-go...it's really not that hard.

1. How does temperature affect the rate of evaporation?

The higher the temperature, the faster water molecules will move and the more likely they are to escape into the air, resulting in a higher rate of evaporation.

2. Does humidity play a role in evaporation?

Yes, humidity levels affect the rate of evaporation. When the air is already saturated with water vapor, it becomes more difficult for additional water molecules to evaporate into the air.

3. Can wind speed impact the amount of water that evaporates?

Yes, wind helps to remove the water vapor molecules from the air surrounding the water's surface, allowing for more water molecules to evaporate from the surface.

4. Does the surface area of water impact the rate of evaporation?

Yes, the larger the surface area of the water, the more water molecules are exposed to the surrounding air, resulting in a higher rate of evaporation.

5. How does the presence of impurities in water affect evaporation?

Impurities in water can actually decrease the rate of evaporation. This is because the impurities disrupt the cohesive forces between water molecules, making it more difficult for them to escape into the air.