Does adding vinegar to water increase the evaporation rate of the water?

In summary, adding vinegar or alcohol to water when cleaning reduces the surface tension of the water, allowing it to evaporate faster due to a higher surface to volume ratio. This is why it is commonly used as a cleaning solution to help water dry more quickly. However, the exact mechanism behind this is not certain and further explanation or clarification is needed.
Interception
So my friend came home from work and asked me why adding vinegar to water aids in evaporatoin. He said they had them clean with this solution because it helped the water dry up faster. However, I've only had two years of study in chemistry and I can't say I know for certain.

I know that vinegar is an acid, and so the only thing that I could think of was that there was a possible increase in energy as the vinegar dissolves in the solution which could be absorbed by the water? It may sound goofy, but honestly I don't know enough to make any other assumptions.

Could someone explain to me how this works, or at least fill me in if its just an old wives tale?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My understanding is the following: Adding alcohol or vinegar to water when cleaning reduces the surface tension of the water. Hence the tendency of water films to agglomerate into drops is reduced. A thin water film has a higher surface to volume ratio than a drop which speeds up vaporization.

1. Can vinegar be used to increase the evaporation rate of water?

Yes, vinegar can be used to increase the evaporation rate of water due to its lower boiling point compared to water.

2. How does vinegar increase the evaporation rate of water?

Vinegar, which is a mixture of acetic acid and water, has a lower boiling point than water. This means that it evaporates at a lower temperature, allowing it to absorb more heat from its surroundings and increase the rate of evaporation of the water it is mixed with.

3. Is there a specific ratio of vinegar to water that should be used to increase evaporation rate?

The ideal ratio of vinegar to water for increasing evaporation rate varies depending on factors such as temperature and humidity. Generally, adding a small amount of vinegar (around 1-2 tablespoons per liter of water) can help increase the evaporation rate.

4. Can adding vinegar to water affect the properties of the water?

Yes, adding vinegar to water can affect the properties of the water. The acidity of the water will increase, and the boiling point will decrease. Additionally, the taste, color, and odor of the water may also change.

5. Are there any other substances that can be added to water to increase evaporation rate?

Yes, there are other substances that can be added to water to increase evaporation rate, such as salt, alcohol, and sugar. These substances lower the boiling point of water, allowing it to evaporate at a faster rate.