Salt Battery: Choosing anode/cathode

In summary, the conversation revolves around building a salt battery and exploring different materials for it. The idea of using Tungsten instead of Zinc is proposed to potentially increase power output. The concept of standard reduction potential and its importance in designing a battery is mentioned, but the lack of knowledge on this topic hinders further discussion. Suggestions are made to read about redox reactions, standard potentials, and electrochemical series in general chemistry or analytical/physical chemistry books.
CognitiveNet
I want to build a salt battery, and I've seen them use Zinc and Copper.
But what if I replaced Zinc with Tungsten, since it has an ion charge of 6+.
Would that increase the amount of ions, released into the water, and increase the power output? Do you have any suggestions for more potent materials than zinc and copper?
Any other material I could use to dissolve ions from a metal into water? I don't mean an acid.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do you know what a standard reduction potential is?

Borek said:
Do you know what a standard reduction potential is?

I don't. Would the key for adding more/most ions to water be, which material corrode the most?

Sorry, but if you don't know basics, further discussion is a moot, as you will have no idea what we are talking about. Number of electrons exchanged in redox reaction is only part of things that have to be taken into account when designing a battery.

I guess any general chemistry book with a chapter on redox reactions, standard potentials and Nernst equation is what you need. These things are often discussed also in analytical chemistry books or in physical chemistry books.

Or at least read about reactivity series and electrochemical series.

There are many factors to consider when choosing the anode and cathode materials for a salt battery. While Tungsten may have a higher ion charge than Zinc, it may not necessarily result in a higher power output. The effectiveness of a material in a salt battery also depends on its ability to react with the salt solution and release ions, as well as its stability and cost.

In terms of more potent materials, there are several options to consider. For example, Lithium and Sodium have high ion charges and are commonly used in rechargeable batteries. However, they may not be suitable for a salt battery as they are highly reactive and may pose safety concerns.

Other potential materials to consider include Magnesium, Aluminum, and Iron. These metals also have high ion charges and are relatively abundant and inexpensive. However, they may also have limitations in terms of stability and reactivity in a salt solution.

Ultimately, the best approach would be to conduct experiments with different materials and evaluate their performance in terms of power output, stability, and cost. It is also important to consider the environmental impact of the materials used in the battery.

In terms of dissolving ions from a metal into water, there are other options besides using acids. For example, you could use a salt solution with a lower concentration to create a concentration gradient, which can drive the movement of ions. Alternatively, you could use a process called electrolysis, where an electrical current is passed through the solution to release ions from the metal. It is important to carefully consider the method used to dissolve ions as it can affect the overall efficiency and performance of the battery.

1. What is a salt battery?

A salt battery is a type of rechargeable battery that uses a salt electrolyte solution to store and release energy. It is a type of metal-air battery, which means it uses oxygen from the air as the positive electrode (cathode) and a metal as the negative electrode (anode).

2. How do you choose the anode and cathode for a salt battery?

The anode and cathode for a salt battery are typically chosen based on their electrochemical properties. The anode should have a low reduction potential, meaning it readily gives up electrons, while the cathode should have a high reduction potential, meaning it readily accepts electrons. In addition, the anode and cathode materials should be stable in the presence of the salt electrolyte solution.

3. What are some common anode materials used in salt batteries?

Some common anode materials used in salt batteries include zinc, lithium, and cadmium. These metals have low reduction potentials and are relatively stable in the presence of salt electrolyte solutions.

4. What are some common cathode materials used in salt batteries?

Some common cathode materials used in salt batteries include manganese oxide, lithium cobalt oxide, and nickel oxide. These materials have high reduction potentials and are also stable in salt electrolyte solutions.

5. Can the anode and cathode materials be changed in a salt battery?

Yes, the anode and cathode materials in a salt battery can be changed to optimize the battery's performance. However, it is important to choose materials that are compatible with the salt electrolyte solution and have the desired electrochemical properties for efficient energy storage and release.