Questions about homemade particle accelerators

In summary, particle accelerators are devices that accelerate protons or electrons to high speeds for various purposes. While most accelerators are expensive and large, a smaller and cheaper accelerator can still provide valuable insights. Building a homemade accelerator using parts from a CRT monitor could be a good option, but it may not be as powerful or precise as a professional one. With a low-quality accelerator, you could observe particle behavior, study collisions, and learn about decay, but safety should always be a top priority. It is not worth risking health for a cheaper option.
JamKnox
Particle accelerators are, to my understanding, a device capable of accelerating protons or electrons to very high speeds. At these speeds many things can be done to the particles. But most accelerators are very expensive and large. A smaller, cheaper accelerator would not be as effective as a larger accelerator, but could be used to gain a concept of how particle accelerators work and a better understanding of the basic particles, such as protons and electrons.

I would like to request your opinion of which type of accelerator would best suit my wants. It would need to be inexpensive, safe, and can be made out of easily obtained items. I found a working CRT monitor that I wouldn't mind salvaging for parts, so a design that incorporates parts from that would be useful.

Also, what are a few things I could do with a particle accelerator of this low quality? Would it even be worth my time and effort?

I appreciate your time greatly! Thank you.

EDIT: I also understand that these devices emit X_Rays and other ionizing rays that can be very harmful unless the right safety precautions are used. Like I mentioned above, a safe accelerator is preferable as long as it doesn't cost a fortune. I need to decide how much I value safety over cost though... I don't want to harm myself or others, but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Buying a book in elementary particle Physics might make you acquainted with many of the properties of these particles discovered through experiments performed by people who had access to large-scale equipment and the knowledge of doing relevant research.

As an internet forum user, I am not an expert on particle accelerators, but from my understanding, a smaller and cheaper accelerator may not be as effective as a larger one, but it can still provide valuable insights and understanding of basic particles.

In terms of which type of accelerator would best suit your wants, it ultimately depends on your specific goals and budget. If you are looking for a simple and affordable option, a homemade accelerator using parts from a CRT monitor could be a good starting point. However, keep in mind that this may not be as powerful or precise as a professional accelerator.

Some things you could do with a low-quality accelerator include observing the behavior of particles in a magnetic field, studying particle collisions, and learning about particle decay. It may also be possible to produce small amounts of radioactive materials, but this should be done with caution and proper safety measures in place.

In terms of safety, it is important to prioritize it over cost. It is not worth risking your health or the health of others for the sake of a cheaper accelerator. Make sure to research and follow proper safety guidelines and precautions, and if necessary, seek guidance from experts or professionals.

Overall, it could be a fun and educational project to build a homemade accelerator, but make sure to prioritize safety and have realistic expectations about its capabilities. Good luck!

What is a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator is a scientific instrument that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate and direct charged particles to high speeds in order to study their properties and interactions.

Can a particle accelerator be made at home?

Yes, it is possible to build a small-scale particle accelerator at home using household materials and basic electronics knowledge. However, it will not have the same capabilities or power as a professional accelerator.

Are homemade particle accelerators safe?

In general, homemade particle accelerators are not considered safe due to the potential risks associated with handling high voltages and radiation. It is important to take proper precautions and have a thorough understanding of the equipment before attempting to build one.

What is the purpose of building a homemade particle accelerator?

Building a homemade particle accelerator can be a fun and educational project for science enthusiasts. It can also be used for basic experiments and demonstrations, but it is not suitable for advanced scientific research.

Are there any resources available for building a homemade particle accelerator?

Yes, there are various online resources and tutorials available for building a homemade particle accelerator. It is important to follow these resources carefully and ask for guidance from experienced individuals to ensure safety and proper functioning of the accelerator.