Shear Force Diagrams and Bending Moment Diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a beam balancing problem with pin jointed pivots and a distance of 6 meters between each pivot. The equations ƩFy = 0, ƩFx = 0, and ƩMP = 0 are used to solve the problem. The first section is solved with an internal moment of -56kN/m, an axial force of 0, and a shear force of -6kN. The second section is then discussed, with the internal moment being calculated as 72 + v(6) kN/m (which may be incorrect), a shear force of -24kN, and an axial force of 0. The conversation ends with a suggestion to
nobodyuknow

Homework Statement

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9131/22465062cfdd4934b51d7f5.png

Hopefully the image isn't too difficult to decipher... Basically a beam balanced on to pin jointed pivots with 6 metres in between each one.

Homework Equations

ƩFy = 0
ƩFx = 0
ƩMP = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the first section of the part...
The internal moment comes out to be -56kN/m
Axial Force is 0
And Shear Force is -6kN

Calculating the second section...
I'm stuck here, hence, why I don't think I can proceed with Section 3 either
I calculated the Internal Moment to be... 72 + v(6) kN/m (Which I think is wrong)..
The Shear Force came out to be -24kN
Axial Force is... 0?

Need help with completing the rest

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be able to identify the resultant force and location of the uniformly distributed load and the resultant force and location of the triangularly distributed load. Then solve for the reactions next by summing moments. Then draw the shear diagram. Practice with a more simple case first, like a uniform load on a simply supported beam. Triangularly distributed loads add a level of difficulty to the problem.

1. What are shear force diagrams and bending moment diagrams?

Shear force diagrams and bending moment diagrams are graphical representations of the internal forces and moments acting on a structural member, such as a beam or column. They are commonly used in structural analysis to determine the strength and stability of a structure.

2. How are shear force diagrams and bending moment diagrams calculated?

Shear force diagrams are calculated by taking the sum of all external forces acting on a section of a structural member and plotting them on a graph. Bending moment diagrams are calculated by taking the sum of all moments acting on a section of a structural member and plotting them on a graph. Both diagrams are typically calculated using equations of equilibrium and can also be determined using numerical methods or software programs.

3. What information can be obtained from shear force diagrams and bending moment diagrams?

Shear force diagrams and bending moment diagrams provide important information about the internal forces and moments acting on a structural member. They can be used to determine the maximum shear and bending stresses, the location of points of zero shear and bending, and the design of structural members.

4. What are the differences between shear force diagrams and bending moment diagrams?

Shear force diagrams show the distribution of shear forces along the length of a structural member, while bending moment diagrams show the distribution of bending moments. Additionally, shear force diagrams are typically plotted on the left side of a beam while bending moment diagrams are plotted on the right side.

5. How are shear force diagrams and bending moment diagrams used in real-world applications?

Shear force diagrams and bending moment diagrams are commonly used in structural engineering to analyze and design various types of structures, including buildings, bridges, and other load-bearing structures. They are also used in the construction and maintenance of these structures to ensure their safety and structural integrity.