Conceptual question about gas expanding against piston

In summary, the conversation discusses the thermodynamics of gas, particularly focusing on a cylindrical piston containing an ideal gas that is well insulated and at a fixed temperature. The piston is assumed to be weightless, frictionless, and with no external mass or atmospheric pressure. The conversation explores the work done by the gas as it expands against the piston and the work done by the surroundings on the gas. It also raises questions about the internal energy of the gas and the concept of temperature at all points in the gas. The conversation concludes with the idea of free expansion and the relationship between work done by the gas and the energy put into it through heating.
Bipolarity
I'm trying to consolidate my understanding of gas thermodynamics. If anywhere my reasoning is wrong, please correct me.

Consider a cylindrical piston in which an ideal gas is sealed. The piston is well insulated, and it is assumed that all points in the gas are at temperature T and this temperature is fixed throughout the experiment.

Assume that the piston is weightless and frictionless. Also assume that there is no mass on the piston and that atmospheric pressure is 0.

Since the gas pressure is P, and the external pressure is 0, the gas will expand against the piston, and its volume will increase. Simultaneously, its pressure will decrease.

This process will technically occur for ever since the pressure P will never reach 0.

But what will be the work done by the gas from volume V1 (initial volume) to V2 assuming that the gas undergoes expansion ? Will it be positive or negative or even zero? What about the work done by the surroundings on the gas in this same process? Will it be positive or negative?

One argument tells me that the work done by the gas will be positive, because the gas pressure is directed against the piston, and the displacement of the piston is parallel to the gas pressure. Another argument tells me that the work done is zero, since the piston is weightless to begin with. Yet another argument tells me that the work done is positive, since the gas molecules themselves are being propelled in the direction of the gas pressure. Which of these is correct?

What about the work done by the gas as it expands from volum V1 to a volume of infinity? If this number can be expressed as a definite integral, does the integral diverge in this case?

These are all questions that are hindering but at the same time exciting my knowledge of physics. I appreciate all the help offered. Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
I'm trying to consolidate my understanding of gas thermodynamics. If anywhere my reasoning is wrong, please correct me.

Consider a cylindrical piston in which an ideal gas is sealed. The piston is well insulated, and it is assumed that all points in the gas are at temperature T and this temperature is fixed throughout the experiment.

Assume that the piston is weightless and frictionless. Also assume that there is no mass on the piston and that atmospheric pressure is 0.

Since the gas pressure is P, and the external pressure is 0, the gas will expand against the piston, and its volume will increase. Simultaneously, its pressure will decrease.

This process will technically occur for ever since the pressure P will never reach 0.

But what will be the work done by the gas from volume V1 (initial volume) to V2 assuming that the gas undergoes expansion ? Will it be positive or negative or even zero? What about the work done by the surroundings on the gas in this same process? Will it be positive or negative?
Does the gas do work on the surroundings? How? If it does no work on the surroundings, what can you say about the internal energy of the (ideal) gas?

One argument tells me that the work done by the gas will be positive, because the gas pressure is directed against the piston, and the displacement of the piston is parallel to the gas pressure. Another argument tells me that the work done is zero, since the piston is weightless to begin with. Yet another argument tells me that the work done is positive, since the gas molecules themselves are being propelled in the direction of the gas pressure. Which of these is correct?
Neither. How can the gas do work on a massless, frictionless piston?

What about the work done by the gas as it expands from volum V1 to a volume of infinity? If this number can be expressed as a definite integral, does the integral diverge in this case?

These are all questions that are hindering but at the same time exciting my knowledge of physics. I appreciate all the help offered. Thanks!
Have a look at the thermodynamics of "free expansion".

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Does the gas do work on the surroundings? How? If it does no work on the surroundings, what can you say about the internal energy of the (ideal) gas?

Neither. How can the gas do work on a massless, frictionless piston?

Have a look at the thermodynamics of "free expansion".

AM

Thank you! So the gas does work only when it lifts a mass !

BiP

Bipolarity said:
Thank you! So the gas does work only when it lifts a mass !

BiP
A gas does work when it expands against an external force. It does not have to lift a mass to do that. Any external force will suffice.

AM

Some remarks:
"it is assumed that all points in the gas are at temperature T and this temperature is fixed throughout the experiment"
There is no such thing as "temperature at all points in the gas". Temperature is a global physical quantity, characterizing the whole ensemble of molecules and implying a certain velocity distribution of them. In microscopic physics temperature is associated with the intensity of molecular motion. But even in a thermally homogeneous medium there are fluctuations and some molecules move or vibrate faster or slower than others.

If the piston has no mass then from the conservation of momentum it follows that the piston will fly away instantaneously and at infinite speed as soon as the first molecule hits it. From that time the gas will expand freely in space without any counter force. As if the air in a room had all been confined in one of the corners and the separation wall had been suddenly disappeared. The air would spread out to fill the whole room. If you suppose that the temperature is set constant throughout the experiment then the ever increasing volume will cause an ever decreasing pressure. The work done by the gas due to expansion is covered by the energy you pump into it by heating the gas to maintain the constant temperature.

But the problem with this setup is that you cannot really follow it by using quasi-equilibrium thermodynamics. Yes, this is what you learn in high school or at universities until undergrad level. Abrupt and instantaneous changes (like the disappearing of the piston or the wall) do not fit into the framework of quasi-equilibrium thermodynamics. The expansion of the gas from the piston in vacuum is a very rapid process. In reality, supposing that you are capable of maintaining a constant temperature during this experiment is unphysical or irrational. It is rather an adiabatic process than any other, i.e. it happens without any heat transfer between the gas and its surroundings. The gas will expand and cool down very rapidly. If you ever saw a CO2 cartridge opened up, you know what I am talking about.

Daniel.Kovacs said:
Some remarks:
"it is assumed that all points in the gas are at temperature T and this temperature is fixed throughout the experiment"
There is no such thing as "temperature at all points in the gas". Temperature is a global physical quantity, characterizing the whole ensemble of molecules and implying a certain velocity distribution of them. In microscopic physics temperature is associated with the intensity of molecular motion. But even in a thermally homogeneous medium there are fluctuations and some molecules move or vibrate faster or slower than others.

If the piston has no mass then from the conservation of momentum it follows that the piston will fly away instantaneously and at infinite speed as soon as the first molecule hits it. From that time the gas will expand freely in space without any counter force. As if the air in a room had all been confined in one of the corners and the separation wall had been suddenly disappeared. The air would spread out to fill the whole room. If you suppose that the temperature is set constant throughout the experiment then the ever increasing volume will cause an ever decreasing pressure. The work done by the gas due to expansion is covered by the energy you pump into it by heating the gas to maintain the constant temperature.

But the problem with this setup is that you cannot really follow it by using quasi-equilibrium thermodynamics. Yes, this is what you learn in high school or at universities until undergrad level. Abrupt and instantaneous changes (like the disappearing of the piston or the wall) do not fit into the framework of quasi-equilibrium thermodynamics. The expansion of the gas from the piston in vacuum is a very rapid process. In reality, supposing that you are capable of maintaining a constant temperature during this experiment is unphysical or irrational. It is rather an adiabatic process than any other, i.e. it happens without any heat transfer between the gas and its surroundings. The gas will expand and cool down very rapidly. If you ever saw a CO2 cartridge opened up, you know what I am talking about.

So how are you supposed to integrate the pressure with respect to the velocity?

BiP

Daniel.Kovacs said:
Some remarks:
If the piston has no mass then from the conservation of momentum it follows that the piston will fly away instantaneously and at infinite speed as soon as the first molecule hits it.
The term "massless" is understood to mean simply that the mass is negligible. Collisions between gas molecules and the piston do not result in the gas molecules losing energy.

From that time the gas will expand freely in space without any counter force. As if the air in a room had all been confined in one of the corners and the separation wall had been suddenly disappeared. The air would spread out to fill the whole room. If you suppose that the temperature is set constant throughout the experiment then the ever increasing volume will cause an ever decreasing pressure. The work done by the gas due to expansion is covered by the energy you pump into it by heating the gas to maintain the constant temperature.
Are you supposing that the room was initially empty or was it filled with air?

. In reality, supposing that you are capable of maintaining a constant temperature during this experiment is unphysical or irrational. It is rather an adiabatic process than any other, i.e. it happens without any heat transfer between the gas and its surroundings. The gas will expand and cool down very rapidly. If you ever saw a CO2 cartridge opened up, you know what I am talking about.
What if you had compressed helium in the cartridge and it was opened in a vacuum. Would it cool?

AM

1. How does gas expansion against a piston occur?

Gas expansion against a piston occurs when the gas molecules inside a container are heated, causing them to move faster and exert pressure on the walls of the container. As the pressure increases, the gas expands and pushes against the piston, creating movement.

2. What factors affect the amount of gas expansion against a piston?

The amount of gas expansion against a piston is affected by the temperature, pressure, and volume of the gas. An increase in temperature or pressure will result in a greater expansion, while a decrease in volume will also lead to expansion.

3. How does the size of the piston affect gas expansion?

The size of the piston has a direct impact on the amount of gas expansion. A larger piston will allow for more movement and expansion of the gas, while a smaller piston will restrict the movement and result in less expansion.

4. Can gas expansion against a piston be reversed?

Yes, gas expansion against a piston can be reversed if the gas is cooled or the pressure is decreased. This will cause the gas molecules to slow down, resulting in a decrease in pressure and a contraction of the gas.

5. What are some real-life applications of gas expansion against a piston?

Gas expansion against a piston is the principle behind many everyday devices, such as car engines, refrigerators, and air conditioners. It is also used in industrial processes such as power generation and oil refining.