Total angular momentum OP

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the total angular momentum operator in a two-electron system and the suggestion to use L+ and L- operators. It also clarifies that the total angular momentum refers to the total spin angular momentum of the system.
rubertoda
HI,i am aiming to show that 1/(2)^1/2(|spin up>|spin down> + |spin down>|spin up>) is an eigenvalue to the total angular momentum operator in a two-electron system.

I know that i should end up with getting the eigenvalues of the separate spins; L1|spin up> and
L2|spin down> and so on..also i have been suggested to use L+ and L- operators...anyone who can help how to start with the solution? thanks a lot!

Do they mean the total angular momentum to be J=L+s OR L1 + L2??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the operator in question would be
[tex]S^2 = ({\bf S_1} + {\bf S_2})^2.[/tex]
Try operating on your state with that. You'll need to express the crossterm in terms of ladder operators.

Thanks. But wouldn't the total angular momentum operator be like, L or J? I mean, not the total spin operator?

kind regards

I think when they say "total" here, they're talking about the total spin angular momentum S1 + S2. Not the spin angular momentum plus the orbital angular momentum.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider the information provided and to clarify any potential misunderstandings or ambiguity. In this case, it is not clear whether the total angular momentum is denoted as J=L+s or J=L1+L2. This distinction is important because the calculation and interpretation of the eigenvalues will differ depending on the definition of the total angular momentum.

Assuming that J=L+s, the provided expression 1/(2)^1/2(|spin up>|spin down> + |spin down>|spin up>) can be rewritten as 1/(2)^1/2(L1+L2)|spin up>|spin down> + 1/(2)^1/2(L1+L2)|spin down>|spin up>. This can be simplified to 1/2(L1|spin up>|spin down> + L2|spin down>|spin up>) + 1/2(L1|spin down>|spin up> + L2|spin up>|spin down>). We can now apply the L+ and L- operators to each term to obtain the eigenvalues of the total angular momentum operator. The L+ operator will raise the spin state by one unit, while the L- operator will lower it by one unit. This will result in the eigenvalues J+1 and J-1 for the total angular momentum.

On the other hand, if J=L1+L2, the expression will be 1/(2)^1/2(L1+L2)|spin up>|spin down> + 1/(2)^1/2(L1+L2)|spin down>|spin up>, which can be simplified to 1/2(L1|spin up>|spin down> + L2|spin down>|spin up>) + 1/2(L1|spin down>|spin up> + L2|spin up>|spin down>). In this case, the eigenvalues will be L1+L2+1 and L1+L2-1 for the total angular momentum.

In either case, the use of L+ and L- operators is appropriate and will help in obtaining the eigenvalues of the total angular momentum operator. It is important to carefully define the total angular momentum and to use the appropriate operators in the calculations.

1. What is total angular momentum OP?

Total angular momentum OP is a physical quantity that represents the total amount of rotational motion of a system. It is a vector quantity that combines both the magnitude and direction of individual angular momenta within the system.

2. How is total angular momentum OP calculated?

Total angular momentum OP is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of the system by its angular velocity. This calculation can also be done by adding the individual angular momenta of all the particles within the system.

3. What is the significance of total angular momentum OP?

Total angular momentum OP is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects and systems. It is also a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant in a closed system even as individual angular momenta change.

4. How is total angular momentum OP related to angular momentum?

Total angular momentum OP is the sum of all individual angular momenta within a system. It is related to angular momentum, which is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity, by the equation OP = Iω.

5. How can total angular momentum OP be changed?

Total angular momentum OP can be changed by altering the angular velocity or moment of inertia of a system. For example, increasing the angular velocity will result in an increase in total angular momentum, while increasing the moment of inertia will decrease it.