For what positive integers n does 15|M

In summary, the answer to the given problem is all n=2k where k is an integer. This can be proven using the Chinese Remainder Theorem.
maximus101

Homework Statement

For what positive integers n does [tex]15|2^{2n}-1[/tex]

Homework Equations

We know [itex]2^{2n}\equiv1mod15[/itex]

I was thinking this might be helpful but not sure
[itex]x^{2} ≡ −1 (mod p)[/itex] is solvable if and only if [itex]p ≡ 1 (mod 4)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the answer is for all [itex]n=2k[/itex] where [itex]k[/itex] is an integer
from plugging in various values of n, however I am not sure how to prove it? Any suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
?

You are correct in thinking that the answer is all n=2k where k is an integer. This can be proven by using the fact that 2^{2n}\equiv1mod15. Since 15 is a multiple of 3 and 5, we can rewrite this as 2^{2n}\equiv1mod3 and 2^{2n}\equiv1mod5. By using the Chinese Remainder Theorem, we can combine these two congruences to get 2^{2n}\equiv1mod15. This means that for any positive integer n, 15 divides 2^{2n}-1. Therefore, the answer is all n=2k where k is an integer. I hope this helps!

1. What is the meaning of "15|M"?

The notation "15|M" means that 15 is a divisor of the positive integer M. In other words, M is a multiple of 15.

2. What does it mean when a number is a multiple of 15?

A number is a multiple of 15 if it can be divided evenly by 15 without any remainder. In other words, the number is a product of 15 and another integer.

3. What are some examples of positive integers n that satisfy 15|M?

Some examples of positive integers n that are multiples of 15 are 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, and so on. Any positive integer that is a product of 15 and another integer will satisfy 15|M.

4. How can I determine if a given positive integer n satisfies 15|M?

To determine if a positive integer n satisfies 15|M, you can use the division algorithm. Divide n by 15. If the remainder is 0, then n satisfies 15|M. Otherwise, n does not satisfy 15|M.

5. Why is 15 a special number in relation to multiples?

In general, 15 is considered a special number when it comes to multiples because it has many divisors. This means that there are multiple ways to express 15 as a product of two smaller numbers. For example, 15 can be written as 3*5 or 1*15. This makes it easier to find multiples of 15 compared to other numbers.