Where do i begin?

• Thread starter cstryker02
  • Start date
In summary, the best place to start a research project is by identifying a clear research question or topic. The research methodology chosen should align with the research question, data needed, and research objectives. The resources used for research should be evaluated for credibility and relevance. Organizing research findings can be done through creating an outline or using note-taking strategies. If challenges arise during research, seeking guidance and being open to new ideas can help overcome them. Effective time management and taking breaks can also prevent burnout.
cstryker02
A 3.20g coin is placed 19.0cm from the center of a turntable. The coin has static and kinetic coefficients of friction with the turntable surface of (u)static=0.900 and (u)kinetic=0.400.

What is the maximum angular velocity with which the turntable can spin without the coin sliding?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the equation for centripetal force? You can see it increases with angular velocity, so at a certain point it will be greater than the force of friction, and the coin will begin to move.

To begin, we can use the formula for centripetal force to determine the maximum angular velocity. The force of friction between the coin and the turntable surface must be equal to the centripetal force in order to prevent the coin from sliding.

First, we can calculate the weight of the coin using the formula w = mg, where m is the mass of the coin and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Since the coin has a mass of 3.20g, its weight would be 3.20g * 9.8m/s^2 = 31.36m/s^2.

Next, we can calculate the centripetal force using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the coin, v is the velocity, and r is the radius (which in this case is 19.0cm or 0.19m).

Since we know the force of friction must be equal to the centripetal force, we can set up the equation Ff = (u)mg = mv^2/r. Plugging in the values we know, we get (u)mg = mv^2/r, where (u) is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the coin, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius.

We can then solve for the maximum velocity, v, by rearranging the equation to v = sqrt((u)rg). Plugging in the values we know, we get v = sqrt((0.900)(0.19m)(31.36m/s^2)) = 3.68m/s.

Therefore, the maximum angular velocity with which the turntable can spin without the coin sliding is 3.68m/s. Any higher angular velocity would result in the coin sliding due to the force of friction being exceeded.

1. Where should I start my research project?

The best place to start your research project is by identifying your research question or topic. This will help guide your research and provide a clear focus for your study.

2. How do I choose a research methodology?

The research methodology you choose will depend on your research question, the type of data you need to collect, and your research objectives. Some common research methodologies include experiments, surveys, case studies, and interviews.

3. What resources should I use for my research?

The resources you use for your research will depend on your research question and methodology. Some common resources include books, academic journals, databases, and websites. It is important to evaluate the credibility and relevance of your sources.

4. How do I organize my research findings?

One way to organize your research findings is by creating an outline or concept map. This will help you identify the main ideas and connections between them. You can also use note-taking strategies, such as summarizing and paraphrasing, to keep track of your findings.

5. What should I do if I encounter challenges during my research?

If you encounter challenges during your research, it is important to seek guidance from your supervisor or colleagues. You can also consider adjusting your research question or methodology, and be open to new ideas and perspectives. Remember to take breaks and manage your time effectively to avoid burnout.