Suggestions for single-gene dominant/recessive in humans?

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary, the ear lobes and tongue curling are not valid examples, eye color is determined by more than two genes, hair color can mix, lateral tongue rolling and attached ear lobes turn out also not to be as straightforward as the common myths have it, and so forth.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I am teaching a basic mathematics class, and am using Punnett squares as an example. In order to keep the students' interest, I am looking for examples of human traits, no Mendel's peas and so forth are not what I need. I wish to keep to monohybrids, as dihybrid hyprids would be too confusing for these students. I used widow's peak/ straight hair, but other examples I look at turn out not to be really the case: for example, eye color is determined by more than two genes, hair color can mix, lateral tongue rolling and attached ear lobes turn out also not to be as straightforward as the common myths have it, and so forth. Can someone give me some nicer, and valid, examples? Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Ear lobes (attached, unatached), eye color (brown, pale - though the non brown colorations aren't so simple, but all are recessive to brown), Curling tongue.

Try any type of sex-linked disease. For example, males pass on a single Y chromosome to male offspring, and it is always penetrant.

See Morgan's white eyed flies. Every generation of males will have some with white eyes because the mutation is sex linked, in this case it is on the X-chromosome. Flies are a little different than people, because their males are determined by having one X-chromosome, and females have two X-chromosomes, but this demonstrates the chromosomal theory of inheritance. Classic.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions, Ygggdrasil and elegans. Very useful [although, unless my students have just watched "The Fly", they would show little interest in fly genetics. :-)]

1. What is a single-gene dominant/recessive trait in humans?

A single-gene dominant/recessive trait in humans refers to a specific characteristic or trait that is determined by a single gene. In this type of inheritance pattern, one copy of the gene (allele) is dominant over the other, and the dominant allele will always be expressed in the phenotype.

2. What are some examples of single-gene dominant/recessive traits in humans?

Examples of single-gene dominant/recessive traits in humans include blood type, eye color, and certain genetic disorders such as Huntington's disease and cystic fibrosis. These traits are controlled by a single gene and can be passed down from parent to offspring.

3. How are single-gene dominant/recessive traits inherited?

Single-gene dominant/recessive traits are inherited in a predictable pattern known as Mendelian inheritance. In this pattern, a single dominant allele will be expressed over a recessive allele. This means that if an individual inherits a dominant allele from one parent and a recessive allele from the other, the dominant trait will be expressed in their phenotype.

4. Can single-gene dominant/recessive traits skip generations?

Yes, single-gene dominant/recessive traits can skip generations. This is because the expression of these traits depends on the specific combination of alleles an individual inherits from their parents. If an individual inherits two recessive alleles, they may not have the trait, but they can pass it on to their offspring.

5. Are all single-gene dominant/recessive traits easily identifiable?

No, not all single-gene dominant/recessive traits are easily identifiable. Some traits may be influenced by multiple genes or have varying levels of expression, making them harder to identify. Additionally, some traits may be influenced by environmental factors, making it difficult to determine if they are solely caused by a single gene.