Which Browser Do You Prefer: Firefox or Otherwise?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Firefox
In summary: Yes, it does, thanks. :grumpy: Well, not quite so old as the time a student was printing labels for me on an old dot matrix printer connected to a Mac Plus computer (the old square box things)...the student took one look at the printer and asked, "What's that?" She had never even SEEN a dot matrix printer with continuous feed paper before! :cry: (I'm not going to go into the reason why we had such an archaic computer for the purpose; suffice it to say, it was really good for printing labels and running one other custom-written program that our lab PI... :shudder: ...developed and

Which browser do you prefer?

• Microsoft's Interent Explorer

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Mozilla's Firefox/Mozilla

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Netscape's Netscape

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Opera's Opera

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Apple's Safari

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mk
I know and love Firefox and it's extensions, the ability to make your own extensions, tabbed browsing, extensive skins, and compadibility, above all internet browsers. Which browser do you prefer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You pretty much gave the reasons ... add speed and that is it :smile: .

I find if I have more than 4 or 5 windows open the whole thing gets unstable and I run the risk of losing one or more. I never had this problem with Internet Explorer. However, I do like the Firefox functions e.g. the 'search' is much more user-friendly.

Mmm, 6-0 for Firefox! :tongue:

the number 42 said:
I find if I have more than 4 or 5 windows open the whole thing gets unstable and I run the risk of losing one or more. I never had this problem with Internet Explorer. However, I do like the Firefox functions e.g. the 'search' is much more user-friendly.

Which version of firefox are you using? What your saying has never happened to me.

I, too, love firefox. Love tabbed browsing. I also love the whole location bar thing. For example, the keywords, the google lucky search, also the shortcut to searches (ie: "dict word").

I like Safari. I haven't used Firefox or Opera though, so my only comparison is with IE and much older Netscape versions (back when everyone had Netscape and IE was just a baby).

dduardo said:
Which version of firefox are you using? What your saying has never happened to me.

This is a bit embarrassing... I have version 1. :redface: I suppose you have version 58.3. :rolleyes: Go on then, make fun of me... :cry:

I guess I'm just not enough of an internet junkie to care. I preferred Netscape to IE years ago, then my company made the decision to standardize and use IE. :grumpy:

I have never experienced any of the problems that I have heard others describe when using IE. Of course I mostly use my work laptop and I think not loading a lot of incompatible software has a lot to do with that. I've noticed that a lot of the people that have described problems also load a lot of "stuff" off the internet onto their computers.

I stay on the company intranet most of the day due to the proprietary technical information I need in order to do my job. Of course I keep PF running in the background. :shy:

the number 42 said:
This is a bit embarrassing... I have version 1. :redface: I suppose you have version 58.3. :rolleyes: Go on then, make fun of me... :cry:
Calm your waters, 1.1 is the newest version. I haven't tried Safari either, I would, but my OS is Mac OS 10.1.5, I'll get Tiger though when it comes out, around April.

Moonbear said:
I like Safari. I haven't used Firefox or Opera though, so my only comparison is with IE and much older Netscape versions (back when everyone had Netscape and IE was just a baby).

God, I remember those days. It was when I first started using the internet for GATE summer school programs in 6th grade. Make you feel old?

Mk said:
Calm your waters, 1.1 is the newest version. I haven't tried Safari either, I would, but my OS is Mac OS 10.1.5, I'll get Tiger though when it comes out, around April.

Actually it's 1.0.1

I use Netscape 7.01 built on Mozilla, so it has the tabbed browsing and such, but I am more familiar with it then with Mozilla. Much more stable and faster than IE also I like that it is not integrated as much as IE. It just seems far less vulnerable to outside attacks.

loseyourname said:
God, I remember those days. It was when I first started using the internet for GATE summer school programs in 6th grade. Make you feel old?

Yes, it does, thanks. :grumpy: Well, not quite so old as the time a student was printing labels for me on an old dot matrix printer connected to a Mac Plus computer (the old square box things)...the student took one look at the printer and asked, "What's that?" She had never even SEEN a dot matrix printer with continuous feed paper before! :cry: (I'm not going to go into the reason why we had such an archaic computer for the purpose; suffice it to say, it was really good for printing labels and running one other custom-written program that our lab PI was not willing to part with.) I did finally convince him there was a newer software package available for more modern computers that was comparable, though I think I really only convinced him to upgrade upon threat that the university surplus was running out of old Mac Pluses to scavenge parts from, and if we didn't switch while we still had a functioning one, we'd be S.O.L. when it finally died if there was nothing to replace it.

Ditched IE, love Firefox. Do you guys remember BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems)?

I thought this was a BBS.

MyIE2

4u7328947324234

I didn't quite understand that last one...

I like the AIM, Composer, and E-mail features of Netscape, its not all junk.

honestrosewater said:
Ditched IE, love Firefox. Do you guys remember BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems)?

A long time ago, during the 80's when it cost a couple thousand dollars to access the Internet and it wasn't as widespread.

1. What makes Firefox a preferred browser over others?

Firefox is known for its speed, security, and customizable features. It also has a user-friendly interface and supports a wide range of web technologies.

2. Does Firefox have any unique features that other browsers don't?

Yes, Firefox has several unique features such as the ability to use extensions for customization, a built-in screenshot tool, and a private browsing mode that blocks tracking cookies.

3. Is Firefox compatible with all websites?

Firefox is compatible with most websites, but there may be some compatibility issues with certain websites that are optimized for specific browsers.

4. How does Firefox compare to other popular browsers like Google Chrome and Safari?

Firefox offers similar features and performance as other popular browsers, but it has a stronger focus on user privacy and security. Additionally, Firefox is an open-source browser, meaning it is constantly being improved by a community of developers.

5. Can I use Firefox on different devices?

Yes, Firefox is available for download on multiple devices including desktops, laptops, smartphones, and tablets. It also offers seamless syncing of bookmarks, history, and open tabs across devices.