Showing raising operator raising

In summary, the raising operator in QM raises a state by 1 unit. It is possible to do this by considering the commutation relation stated on the RHS.
Sekonda
Hey,

I have a question on showing how the raising operator in QM raises a particular eigenstate by 1 unit, the question is showed below:

Raising_Operator_Q.png

I think I know how to do this but not sure if what I'm doing is sufficient:

[tex]\hat{N}a^{\dagger}|n>=([\hat{N},a^{\dagger}]+a^{\dagger}\hat{N})|n>[/tex]

So I considered the N operator acting on the raising operator, we know the commutation relation stated on the RHS, so this simplifies to:

[tex]\hat{N}a^{\dagger}|n>=(a^{\dagger}+a^{\dagger}\hat{N})|n>[/tex]

Letting N act on the state N we attain:

[tex]\hat{N}a^{\dagger}|n>=(1+n)a^{\dagger}|n>[/tex]

I'm not sure if it's enough to say now that by definition of the raising operator 'a-dagger', it raises the state n to n+1 and we conclude that 'a-dagger' acting on a state n is equal to some constant multiplied by (1+n) and the state 1+n.

Cheers,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be more explicit than that:

from (given) ##[\hat{N},a^\dagger]|n\rangle = a^\dagger |n\rangle## ... expand the commutator

##\Leftrightarrow \hat{N}[a^\dagger|n\rangle ] - a^\dagger [\hat{N}|n\rangle ] = a^\dagger |n\rangle## ... since: ##\hat{N}|n\rangle = n|n\rangle## (given)

##\Leftrightarrow \hat{N}[a^\dagger|n\rangle] - n[a^\dagger|n\rangle] = a^\dagger |n\rangle##

##\Rightarrow \hat{N}[a^\dagger|n\rangle] = a^\dagger |n\rangle+na^\dagger|n\rangle = (n+1)[a^\dagger |n\rangle]##

i.e. ##a^\dagger |n\rangle## is an eigenstate of ##\hat{N}## with eigenvalue n+1 ...

##\Rightarrow a^\dagger |n\rangle=|n+1\rangle##

... is |n+1> normalized already?

Last edited:
BTW: It can be useful, if you are writing a LOT of fancy notation, to define the most common combinations ... eg: ##\renewcommand{\bra}[1]{\langle {#1} |}
\renewcommand{\ket}[1]{|{#1}\rangle}
\renewcommand{\braket}[1]{ \langle #1 \rangle }##

\renewcommand{\bra}[1]{\langle {#1} |}
\renewcommand{\ket}[1]{|{#1}\rangle}
\renewcommand{\braket}[1]{ \langle #1 \rangle }

so that \bra{n}\; \ket{n,l,m,s}\; \braket{\psi}\; \bra{\psi}H\ket{\psi} gives you: $$\bra{n}\; \ket{n,l,m,s}\; \braket{\psi}\; \bra{\psi}H\ket{\psi}$$

Ahh yes, that's better. I think the ket 'n+1' is not normalised already but that's only due to the normalisation factor 'c' they've put in in the question.

I think what you have written is sufficient, they do not ask you to determine 'c' - so I presume we don't have to in this case.

Also your second post coding hasn't all come up properly on my screen!

Hi SK,

Great job on your approach to showing how the raising operator raises a particular eigenstate by 1 unit! Your steps are correct and it is sufficient to conclude that the raising operator, by definition, raises a state by 1 unit. This is because the raising operator is defined as the operator that increases the number of particles in a system by 1. Therefore, when it acts on a state, it will increase the number of particles by 1, as shown by your calculations. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a showing raising operator raising?

A showing raising operator raising is a mathematical tool used in the field of quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It is used to raise the energy levels of quantum systems, which can provide insight into the properties and behavior of particles.

2. How does a showing raising operator raising work?

A showing raising operator raising works by acting on a quantum system to raise its energy levels. This is achieved by multiplying the quantum state by a specific operator, which is known as the raising operator. The result is a new state with a higher energy level, providing valuable information about the system.

3. What are the applications of showing raising operator raising?

Showing raising operator raising has a wide range of applications in the field of quantum mechanics. It is used to study the behavior of particles, such as electrons and photons, and can provide insights into their properties and interactions. It is also used in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and quantum communication.

4. Are there any limitations to using showing raising operator raising?

While showing raising operator raising is a useful tool in quantum mechanics, it does have limitations. It can only be applied to systems with discrete energy levels, and it does not account for the effects of external forces or interactions with other particles. Additionally, it does not provide a complete description of quantum systems and must be used in conjunction with other mathematical models.

5. Can showing raising operator raising be used in other fields of science?

Yes, showing raising operator raising can be applied in other fields of science, such as chemistry and solid-state physics. It can be used to study the energy levels and behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as the properties of solid materials. It can also be used in the development of new technologies, such as optoelectronics and nanotechnology.