Validity of Newton's 2nd Law in accelerating ref. frame and constant v.

In summary, in a moving frame with a changing velocity, the Galilean transformation does not hold. However, if force and mass are invariant, the 2nd law of Newtonian mechanics still applies.
Hakkinen
First of all I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this problem.

Homework Statement

Given that [itex]\overline{F}[/itex]=m[itex]\overline{a}[/itex] is valid in the lab frame S, show that:
(a) it is also valid in a moving frame S' with a constant velocity relative to S,
but (b) invalid in a moving frame with a changing velocity (ie, a frame S' accelerating relative to S).
Assume the force and mass are invariant

Homework Equations

The Galilean transformation.
Newtons 2nd law

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a non-required problem in the first homework set for an applied modern physics (sophomore level) course I'm taking. We have only had one lecture and I don't have the textbook so I'm not sure if the conclusions I've drawn are correct

So we have two reference frames S and S', with respective coordinates (x,y,z,t) and (x',y',z',t'). But we can use just (x,t) and (x',t') and draw the same conclusions. S' is moving relative to S with a constant velocity [itex]\overline{v}[/itex] in part (a) and with an acceleration [itex]\overline{κ}[/itex] in part (b). I believe t=t' must also be assumed as the concept of absolute time still exists in Newtonian mechanics.

For part (a)
In S
[itex]\overline{F}[/itex]=m(d2x/dt2)=m(d[itex]\overline{u}[/itex]/dt) (Where [itex]\overline{u}[/itex] is the velocity measured in S)

The Galilean transformation gives this relationship between [itex]\overline{u}[/itex] and [itex]\overline{u'}[/itex] (velocity as measured in S')

[itex]\overline{u}=\overline{u'}+\overline{v}[/itex]

In S'
[itex]\overline{F}[/itex]=m(d([itex]\overline{u'}+\overline{v}/dt[/itex])

if [itex]\overline{u}=\overline{u'}+\overline{v}[/itex] then [itex]\overline{a'}[/itex]= ([itex]d(\overline{u'}+\overline{v})[/itex]/dt)) should equal the same acceleration [itex]\overline{a}[/itex] measured in S. Thus if the force and mass are invariant as well, the 2nd law holds for a moving reference frame with some constant velocity [itex]\overline{v}[/itex].

For part (b) when S' is accelerating relative to S

Similarly in S
[itex]\overline{F}[/itex]=m(d2x/dt2)=m(d[itex]\overline{u}[/itex]/dt)

##\overline{u}=\overline{u'}+\overline{κ}##

##\overline{F}=m(d(\overline{u'}+\overline{κ})/dt)##

Thus ##\overline{F}=m\overline{a'}+m(d\overline{κ}/dt)## where ##(d\overline{κ}/dt)## is the jerk of ##\overline{κ}##

I believe this shows that the 2nd Law is not valid for an accelerating reference frame.

I would greatly appreciate any corrections and comments you can provide!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hakkinen said:
For part (b) when S' is accelerating relative to S

Similarly in S
[itex]\overline{F}[/itex]=m(d2x/dt2)=m(d[itex]\overline{u}[/itex]/dt)

##\overline{u}=\overline{u'}+\overline{κ}##
It is not true: The velocity transforms as

[itex]\overline{u}=\overline{u'}+\overline{v}[/itex]

ehild

If that is the case then how is the result different from part (a)?

The velocity of the frame of reference changes with time: its time derivative is equal to κ

ehild

Ah I Think I understand now.

## \overline{u'}=\overline{u}-\overline{v}##

## \frac{d\overline{u'}}{dt} = \frac{d\overline{u}}{dt}-\overline{κ} ##

##\overline{F}=m\frac{d\overline{u'}}{dt}+ m \overline{κ} ##

Is this correct?

Yes, there is a new force in the accelerating frame, which does not belong to any interaction between bodies. That force pushes you forward in a braking car.

ehild

1. Is Newton's 2nd Law still valid in an accelerating reference frame?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the law of acceleration, is applicable in both constant and non-constant reference frames. This means that the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration remains the same regardless of the reference frame.

2. How does Newton's 2nd Law apply in an accelerating reference frame?

In an accelerating reference frame, the net force acting on an object will still determine its acceleration. This means that if there is a non-zero resultant force acting on an object, it will accelerate in the direction of that force, regardless of the reference frame.

3. Can the constant velocity assumption be applied in an accelerating reference frame?

No, the constant velocity assumption, which states that an object will continue to move at a constant velocity if there is no net force acting on it, cannot be applied in an accelerating reference frame. This is because in an accelerating reference frame, there will always be a non-zero resultant force acting on the object, causing it to accelerate.

4. How does the concept of inertia relate to Newton's 2nd Law in an accelerating reference frame?

Inertia, which is an object's resistance to change in motion, is still a part of Newton's 2nd Law in an accelerating reference frame. The greater an object's mass, the more inertia it has and the more force is needed to accelerate it in an accelerating reference frame.

5. Are there any limitations to the validity of Newton's 2nd Law in an accelerating reference frame?

Newton's 2nd Law is a fundamental law of classical mechanics and has been proven to be valid in numerous experiments. However, it may not accurately describe the behavior of objects at very high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields, where the principles of relativity and general relativity respectively must be considered.