Drawing Isomers of cyclopentane?

In summary, the question asks to draw the products of the mono-chlorination reaction of methylcyclopentane and identify the minor and major products. The solution involves working through the mechanism and considering the stability of intermediates at unique sites.
dolpho

Homework Statement

Draw the products of the mono-chlorination reaction of methylcyclopentane. Indicate the minor and major products.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried looking up examples of how to do this problem but can't seem to find any. From what I understand it's an isomer drawing question. I've uploaded a few pictures just so you guys can see if I'm on the right track or not.

http://i.imgur.com/edtFRpl.png

What's it mean by minor or major products? If the major products are the most stable, wouldn't the chlorine want to bind to a substituent? Maybe one of the CH3's hydrogens?

Would appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the intermediate formed when mono-chlorination is carried out?

You need to work through the mechanism at all the unique sites (there may be certain symmetries which make carbons equivalent) and ask which intermediates would be the most stable hence leading to more of that product.

1. What is an isomer?

An isomer is a molecule with the same chemical formula but a different arrangement of atoms. This results in different physical and chemical properties.

2. How many isomers of cyclopentane are there?

There are two isomers of cyclopentane - the cis isomer and the trans isomer. These isomers differ in the orientation of the substituent groups around the ring.

3. How do you draw the cis isomer of cyclopentane?

To draw the cis isomer of cyclopentane, start by drawing a five-sided ring with all single bonds. Then, place the two substituent groups on adjacent carbon atoms on the same side of the ring.

4. How do you draw the trans isomer of cyclopentane?

To draw the trans isomer of cyclopentane, start by drawing a five-sided ring with all single bonds. Then, place the two substituent groups on opposite sides of the ring.

5. What are the uses of drawing isomers of cyclopentane?

Drawing isomers of cyclopentane is important in understanding the structure and reactivity of organic compounds. It is also useful in fields such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and biochemistry where the properties of different isomers can have significant impacts.