How magnets attract objects mechanically?

• Thread starter dejesusluisx1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the explanation is the same as how electric charges can attract (or repel) each other despite being at a distance. The physical medium used to attract and what is the mechanism is not necessary, just like with light.
dejesusluisx1
I've seen many technical explanations relating field theory, but haven't seen an explanation to this date that can clearly explain how magnets attract at a distance. What is the physical medium used to attract and what is the mechanism? Please no elevated technical talk, and no references to books, explain it as if you were seeing it with your naked eyes!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi dejesusluisx1! welcome to pf! :smile:

the explanation is the same as how electric charges can attract (or repel) each other desipte being at a distance …

if you're happy with that, what is your objection in the case of magnetism? :confused:

What is the physical medium used to attract and what is the mechanism?

There is no physical medium necessary...no more than sunlight needs a 'medium' to propagate through space. the electric and magnetic field are two closely related entities found in every electromagnetic field...what you observe depends on your relative motion with respect to the field. Sit still with a magnet, you observe a magnetic field; move and it becomes an electric field.

My textbook asked us an equivalent question phrased as: "how does one object "know" of the presence of another object that it would attract/repel?"

And the answer is the interaction of their magnetic fields. All magnetic objects "set up" a vector field around them. It's not something we can see in and of itself, we can only observe its effects. It's a bit like gravity in that way - we can't "see" gravity, we see its effects.

Light is the physical phenomenon responsible for magnetic and electrostatic attraction and repulsion. Light carries momentum from one charged body to another, the direction depends on the sign of the charge. Magnetism is the consequence of relativistic motion (in familiar cases rotational or revolutionary motion) of electric charges.

Greg-ulate said:
Light is the physical phenomenon responsible for magnetic and electrostatic attraction and repulsion. .
I don't think this is true. There is no light between objects or particles atracting electricaly or magneticaly. Light is just the disturbance of the electrmagnetic field.
Maybe you are talking about QED model, where interaction is explained by exchange of virtual photons, but they are not light.

xAxis said:
I don't think this is true. There is no light between objects or particles atracting electricaly or magneticaly. Light is just the disturbance of the electrmagnetic field.

He means Electromagnetic Waves / Fields. Light is a subset of these.
It is asking too much, I'm afraid, to ask for a "Mechanical" explanation of something that just isn't mechanical. We are supposed to be advancing in our understanding of Physics and, consequently, there will be ideas that don't fit in with the old views. Insisting on an easy explanation of Physical phenomena is just debasing the whole Subject.

Dr. Feynman was asked the same question. His answer will give you great insight and it is very simple to understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron is a shorter path for the magnetic field lines then air. It is the nature of magnetic field lines to be as short as possible. The shortest possible path with the highest density of lines is with the iron as close as possible to the magnet. If they are free to move, the magnet and iron, will seek this lowest energy state, that is the shortest possible field lines.

That is a very hand wavy attempt at giving you an intuitive feeling for what is happening. I have left several open questions, why is iron a shorter path, and the connection between field lines an energy. The answer to those questions lie in Maxwell's Equations.

mrspeedybob said:
Dr. Feynman was asked the same question. His answer will give you great insight and it is very simple to understand.

Good video. but it does not answer the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
That video answers the question perfectly. You just didn't listen to what he was saying.

What is the physical medium...

Until i figure it out, i'll say "Aether".
Whatever free space is made of, it has magnetic permeability μ0. And that number is significant in elctromagnetics.

Is there universal frame of reference ?
That we haven't found one yet only says to me perhaps its nature is not electromagnetic.

but I'm a plodder.

old jim

1. How do magnets attract objects mechanically?

Magnets attract objects mechanically through a force of attraction known as magnetism. This force is caused by the alignment of electrons within the atoms of the magnet, creating a magnetic field. When an object with its own magnetic field comes into contact with the magnet's field, the two fields interact and create a force that pulls the objects together.

2. Why do magnets only attract certain objects?

Magnets only attract certain objects because those objects have their own magnetic field. Materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt have unpaired electrons that can align with the magnet's field, causing them to be attracted. Other materials, like wood or plastic, do not have unpaired electrons and therefore do not respond to the magnet's field.

3. Can magnets attract objects through other materials?

Yes, magnets can attract objects through other materials. This is because the magnetic field can pass through certain materials, such as air, water, and even some metals. However, the strength of the magnetic field may decrease depending on the material it is passing through.

4. What happens when two magnets with opposite poles come into contact?

When two magnets with opposite poles come into contact, they will attract each other and stick together. This is because the magnetic fields of the two magnets are in alignment and therefore they are attracted to each other.

5. Can magnets lose their magnetism over time?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can happen due to exposure to high temperatures, strong external magnetic fields, or physical damage. When a magnet loses its magnetism, it can be re-magnetized by exposing it to a strong magnetic field.