Need help with transconductance operational amplifier

In summary, the conversation discusses how to connect an OTA as a voltage-controlled current source and how to adjust its gain or transconductance. The participants also mention the OPA860 and its datasheet as a potential resource for this information. They also inquire about the application and input/output specifications needed for the OTA.
riie
Hi all,

Does anyone know how do I connect an OTA if I want to use it as a voltage-controlled current source, meaning that it will ouput an AC current when i supplied an AC voltage?
Any guide I can refer to?

And how do I adjust the gain or transconductance, gm?

For example, OPA860 with pinout E,C,B, Iq.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa860.pdf

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
anyone?

Hi. You pdf seems to provide a lot of information. What application are you hoping to use this for?

What is your input voltage range and what output current range do you need?

Hello,

To use an OTA as a voltage-controlled current source, you will need to connect the input voltage to the non-inverting input and the output current to the inverting input. This will create a negative feedback loop, which will regulate the output current based on the input voltage. The gain or transconductance can be adjusted by changing the value of the feedback resistor. A higher value feedback resistor will result in a higher gain or transconductance, while a lower value will result in a lower gain or transconductance.

As for a guide, I recommend referring to the datasheet for the specific OTA you are using. In this case, the OPA860 datasheet you provided has a section on using the device as a voltage-controlled current source. It also includes a formula for calculating the transconductance based on the feedback resistor value. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available on using OTAs as voltage-controlled current sources that you may find helpful.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a transconductance operational amplifier?

A transconductance operational amplifier (op-amp) is a type of electronic amplifier that converts an input voltage signal into an output current signal. It is often used in circuits that require precise current control, such as in audio amplifiers and motor control systems.

2. How does a transconductance op-amp work?

A transconductance op-amp works by using a differential amplifier with a voltage-controlled current source. The input voltage is applied to the differential amplifier, which then adjusts the current through the current source to match the input voltage. This current is then output to the load, resulting in an amplified current signal.

3. What is the difference between transconductance and voltage gain in an op-amp?

Voltage gain is a measure of how much an op-amp amplifies an input voltage signal. Transconductance, on the other hand, is a measure of how much the op-amp's output current changes in response to a change in input voltage. In other words, voltage gain is a ratio of output voltage to input voltage, while transconductance is a ratio of output current to input voltage.

4. How is transconductance calculated for an op-amp?

Transconductance is typically calculated by dividing the change in output current by the change in input voltage. This can be expressed as a unit of measure called siemens (S), which is equal to amps per volt (A/V). The higher the transconductance, the more sensitive the op-amp is to changes in input voltage.

5. What are some common applications of transconductance op-amps?

Transconductance op-amps are commonly used in audio amplifiers, motor control systems, and other applications that require precise current control. They are also used in voltage-to-current converters, voltage regulators, and signal conditioning circuits. In general, they are useful in any circuit that requires a high level of precision and control over current signals.