MEMS Gyroscopes vs Accelerometers - When to use each?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of solid-state gyroscopes in comparison to accelerometers in motion tracking devices. Both devices can be used in a similar manner, but the accelerometer measures acceleration while the gyroscope measures angular velocity. However, for measuring velocity, a range finder is needed in the motion tracker. The gyroscopes output rotation angle rather than velocity.
Wetmelon
I am designing a motion tracking device and just discovered that there exists solid-state gyroscopes. My question is simply "What is the benefit or application of the MEMS Gyroscope compared with a solid state accelerometer?"

As far as I can tell, the accelerometer and the gyroscope can be used in much the same way, though one gives values in terms of acceleration and the other gives values in terms of angular velocity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can use either, but if you want to measure angular velocity, you need a range finder built into the motion tracker. If you are using something on a car, for example, a simple accelerometer should suffice.

So the gyroscopes don't measure velocity? What do they output? Rotation angle?

1. What is the difference between MEMS gyroscopes and accelerometers?

MEMS gyroscopes measure rotational motion, while accelerometers measure linear motion. Gyroscopes can detect changes in orientation and angular velocity, while accelerometers can detect changes in velocity and acceleration.

2. When should I use a MEMS gyroscope?

MEMS gyroscopes are best suited for applications that require precise measurement of rotational motion, such as navigation systems, robotics, and virtual reality devices. They are also useful for stabilizing cameras and drones.

3. When should I use an accelerometer?

Accelerometers are ideal for applications that require measurement of linear motion, such as fitness trackers, smartphones, and vehicle crash detection systems. They are also commonly used in impact sensors and vibration monitoring systems.

4. Can MEMS gyroscopes and accelerometers be used together?

Yes, MEMS gyroscopes and accelerometers are often used together to provide a more comprehensive measurement of motion. This combination is commonly used in smartphones and other mobile devices for features such as screen rotation and step tracking.

5. How do MEMS gyroscopes and accelerometers work?

MEMS gyroscopes and accelerometers use tiny micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) to measure motion. Gyroscopes use a vibrating mass to detect changes in rotation, while accelerometers use a mass on a spring to detect changes in acceleration. Both sensors translate these movements into electrical signals that can be measured and used for various applications.