Engineer wannabe - Advice Requested

• Engineering
  • Thread starter MarkXIX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: MarkActually depending on your CC they should offer basic engineering courses too, I'd take the curriculum from the university you plan on attending and see if the courses transfer and then knock out at least one or two of those basic courses. I'm not sure if your specific field requires courses like statics and strength of materials, it should if its under civil engineering but courses like those are offered at community colleges in my area. Of course you need calculus 1-3, differential equations and maybe linear algebra. Physics 1 and 2 are good courses to transfer in as well.
MarkXIX
Engineer wannabe -- Advice Requested

I was wondering what would be a good set of classes to take to get started with a potential engineering degree. I already have a BA in English so I had limited math and science requirements. I was thinking Calc 1 and physics would be a good place to start. I want to do well in a few engineering related classes before I apply somewhere so they know I'm serious. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

--Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
MarkXIX said:
I was wondering what would be a good set of classes to take to get started with a potential engineering degree. I already have a BA in English so I had limited math and science requirements. I was thinking Calc 1 and physics would be a good place to start. I want to do well in a few engineering related classes before I apply somewhere so they know I'm serious. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

--Mark
One needs calculus and some physics courses, although I recommend as many physics courses as possible. What flavor of engineering, e.g., civil/structural, mechanical, electrical, computer, chemical, aerospace/aeronautical, nuclear, petroleum, marine, . . . . That will determine the type of core engineering courses one would take.

I was interested in Geotechnical engineering which is classified as civil, or at least related to it. Thank you for the response and help.

-Mark

MarkXIX said:
I was interested in Geotechnical engineering which is classified as civil, or at least related to it. Thank you for the response and help.

-Mark

If you're in the USA, my advice would be to go to a junior college and take all the math they have (Calc, Linear Algebra, Diff EQ) and Statics and Dynamics.

That's where I was planning on initially, but I don't know if they have any math or than Calc I and II. There are other schools around that I could check out though. Thanks for the help.

-Mark

You have to have Linear Algebra and Diff EQ. You can't take many engineering classes without them. Good luck.

MarkXIX said:

-Mark
OK. Indeed, it is related to civil engineering since it forms the base on which all buildings and infrastructure are constructed. It's probably closely related to mining engineering.

One might be interested then in the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering
http://www.issmge.org/en/
http://www.issmge.org/en/committees/technical-committees-2010-2013

as well as www.asce.org

Also, check out various university programs:
https://www.civil.tamu.edu/areas/geotechnical/index.html

In most schools, it appears that Geotechnical Engineering is only offered in the Graduate school, and therefore one would expect that they assume a degree in Civil Engineering through which one would receive the requisiste math and science background.
https://engineering.purdue.edu/CE/Academics/Groups/Geotechnical
http://www.cee.cornell.edu/academics/graduate/civil_environmental/geotechnical_engineering.cfm

http://www.csee.buffalo.edu/undergraduate/
http://www.csee.buffalo.edu/graduate/graduate-programs/me/geotechnical-engineering/

Having a BA in English would satisfy all the humanities requirements of an undergraduate program.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do have those classes. I took a look and they have a lot more math than I ever realized. But their physics options aren't that strong. There's only 2 and the first one is non-calc.

Thanks for those links. They're very helpful. Thank you to both

-Mark

The best way to become an engineer is do an engineering degree, not a series of classes vaguely related to engineering.

Talk to your local engineering faculty about what classes you need to do before being admitted.

Devils said:
The best way to become an engineer is do an engineering degree, not a series of classes vaguely related to engineering.

Talk to your local engineering faculty about what classes you need to do before being admitted.

I believe they are telling the OP to go to a cc and then transfer to a university and get a bachelors in engineering. Or I could be wrong.

You aren't wrong. The OP was very clear that that was his plan: "I want to do well in a few engineering related classes before I apply somewhere so they know I'm serious."

Yes I was wondering some classes to take before applying because I have an English degree with very limited science and math. I didn't want to just apply with my English courses and nothing too related to engineering.

Actually depending on your CC they should offer basic engineering courses too, I'd take the curriculum from the university you plan on attending and see if the courses transfer and then knock out at least one or two of those basic courses. I'm not sure if your specific field requires courses like statics and strength of materials, it should if its under civil engineering but courses like those are offered at community colleges in my area. Of course you need calculus 1-3, differential equations and maybe linear algebra. Physics 1 and 2 are good courses to transfer in as well. I didn't see it mentioned here but chemistry 1-2 is required for engineers as well as a programming language. All of these courses can be found at community colleges, at least here in South Carolina they can

It does have engineering specific classes, but I'd have to check to see if they were transferable before I took them. But thanks for the advice.

-Mark

I think even if it doesn't transfer it's still good because you get a taste of engineering and doing well would show you're serious

MarkXIX said:
Yes I was wondering some classes to take before applying because I have an English degree with very limited science and math. I didn't want to just apply with my English courses and nothing too related to engineering.
gOne would need the math and the science (physics/chemistry) background, which usually takes 4 years.

The first year would be introductory math (either pre-calculus or introductory calculus depending on one's background), and then math up through partial differential equations through the second or third year.

Meanwhile, in an engineering program, one would take an introductory course in the field of interest in order to familiarize oneself with the field (including history), the verncular, and the research and development.

In the second year, one begins the formal engineering program, and with each successive year, one takes specialized topical courses in the particular engineering discipline related to one's interest. The goal is to achieve a certain level of proficiency that prepares one for an entry level position as an engineer or entry into graduate school.

The MS program has one do guided research, that is research under the guidance of a faculty member, whereas a PhD has one doing original research that contributes to the field or advances the state-of-the-art.

Hey Marc,

I'm actually in the exact situation---BA in English, and going after an Engineering degree. I did exactly what everyone has been suggesting--I have taken Calc 1-3, physics 1&2, Chem 1&2, etc. I just wanted to caution you to heed some of the advice here and look into taking "intro to engineering' and some of the initial engineering courses. I have not taken those yet, and it makes transfering a bit tricky, as I have most of the courses for first and second year completed, but not the basic intro classes. So it's hard for them to know where to put me.

Good luck! So far engineering has been a lot of fun, and the BA in English still helps me a lot with projects and labs.

Thanks for the help. I'm definitely more inclined to take an intro course before I transfer now (as someone else also suggested). But it's nice to hear from someone that's taken the same route as I am attempting to.--Mark

No problem. This website will become your best friend during Physics 1&2.

What are the key skills needed to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you will need strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as proficiency in math and science. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as engineering projects often involve collaboration with others. Additionally, attention to detail, creativity, and adaptability are valuable traits for an engineer.

What education or training is required to become an engineer?

Most engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, such as mathematics or physics. Some positions may require a master's degree or even a Ph.D. Depending on your area of specialization, you may need to obtain a professional engineering license, which typically requires passing an exam and completing a certain number of years of work experience.

What advice do you have for someone interested in becoming an engineer?

First, research different types of engineering to determine which field interests you the most. Then, focus on excelling in math and science courses in high school and college. Consider participating in internships or joining engineering clubs to gain hands-on experience and network with professionals in the field. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek guidance from experienced engineers.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing a career in engineering?

When considering a career in engineering, it's important to think about your interests, strengths, and values. Consider what type of engineering work appeals to you, as well as the potential job opportunities and salary in your desired field. It's also important to research the industry and job market to ensure there are ample job opportunities in your chosen field.

What are some common challenges faced by engineers?

Engineers often face challenges related to tight project deadlines, complex problem solving, and managing multiple tasks at once. Communication and teamwork can also be challenging, as engineers often work in interdisciplinary teams with individuals from different backgrounds. Additionally, keeping up with rapidly advancing technology and industry changes can be a challenge for some engineers.