Forum Game - Where's That Landmark? Part 2

In summary, Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute. Om found a new landmark and gave a few hints. The last landmark Om gave hints for was the Yale Kahn Institute.
fuzzyfelt said:
Yes!

"Schrödinger suffered from tuberculosis and several times in the 1920s stayed at a sanatorium in Arosa. It was there that he discovered his wave equation.[18]"
"18.^ Moore, Walter J (9 January 1926). ''Schrödinger'' by Walter J. Moore: Christmas at Arosa. Books.google.co.uk. ISBN 978-0-521-43767-7. Retrieved 2010-03-13."

(Afaict, he had a holiday in Arosa, a bowl with lakes, with an unknown woman, in the same street as the four levelled spa annexe, and in an annexe, too, which later burnt down.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Schrödinger
http://www.architonic.com/aisht/wellness-centre-tschuggen-bergoase-mario-botta-architetto/5100643
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Botta

fuzzyfelt said:

b6ybzb.jpg

I'm unfortunately too scientifically illiterate to know that that was Schrödinger's equation. :blushing:

But we should stop skourting the issue, and get back to the new landmark.

pf.wtlm.2013.06.29.0757.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately several members of the forum have passed away due to complication of old age since the last clue.:devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
Unfortunately several members of the forum have passed away due to complication of old age since the last clue.:devil:

:rofl:

Astro posted a time lapsed video of the structure going up in the background. I thought that was strange that he should post something like that before I did. Though, he seems to know too much about everything, everywhere.

Here's a live cam shot taken a few minutes ago.

pfwtlmclue2013.07.24.0709am.jpg

The PF Postcard club will know where the photo was taken from.

throwaway28341 said:

Correct!

There are actually three landmarks. The bridge and two conjoined buildings. The building not shown in the original image is to be a dental school, named the Skourtes Tower, after Dr. Skourtes.

Hence my, "skourting the issue" clue.

That was a picture of him and his wife, riding the aerial tram, from which you get a view such as the live cam snapshot.

Clue #1 image of the Collaborative Life Sciences Building (CLSB) was taken by a friend of mine while she was walking her dog one morning.

The buildings are scheduled to be open around June 2014. The bridge is to be in service around September of 2015.

Did they ever decide what they are officially going to name the bridge?? In Tucson they name things before they build them and then they never build them.

Your poop taxes at work OM.:devil:

http://trimet.org/pm/construction/bridge.htm

Last edited:
Your next throwaway28341. When you solve one you have to post a landmark if possible.

edward said:
Your next throwaway28341. When you solve one you have to post a landmark if possible.

It appears throwaway may have been a one post wonder. Go ahead and post a landmark edward, I'm fresh out. If throwaway comes back, maybe we can have two landmarks going at once. That would confuse things a bit. :devil:

This one is really lame, but it can keep us going.

15fkcn5.jpg

edward said:
This one is really lame, but it can keep us going.

15fkcn5.jpg

Wow. That's good for another 6 months of head scratching. :tongue2:

The picture of this landmark was also taken during construction. A picture of a another part of the construction is a mirror image of the blurred picture above. I will try to iron out the blur and post it.

edward said:
The picture of this landmark was also taken during construction. A picture of a another part of the construction is a mirror image of the blurred picture above. I will try to iron out the blur and post it.

hmmm...

Eiffel Tower? ~1887?

eiffel%20tower%20under%20construction.jpg

Angle seems correct.

Correct sir. Holy cow I didn't even get to say that building it must have been a riveting experience.

16is047.jpg

http://www.asce.org/People-and-Projects/Projects/Landmarks/Eiffel-Tower/

edward said:
Correct sir. Holy cow I didn't even get to say that building it must have been a riveting experience.

16is047.jpg

http://www.asce.org/People-and-Projects/Projects/Landmarks/Eiffel-Tower/

This reminds me of how fast I identified the Arizona Memorial a few years back.
Does this make me an angle savant?

Anyways, it was your "mirror image" comment that popped the image into my head. And just a minutes worth of googling confirmed that I might be correct.

I looked at the image yesterday and thought it might be the leg of a Lunar Module, but wisely decided to wait for a clue.

Here's another silly attempt at getting others to play:

pf.wtlm.2013.07.27.1048.am.jpg

I don't need the location, but merely the name of the river, as those silly kids didn't provide the coordinates... :grumpy:

Mississippi?

Darth Frodo said:
Mississippi?

Nyet!

-----------------------
"Nyet!" is Russian for "No!"
And nyet, that was not a clue.
It isn't the Volga either...
ps. The Mississippi is black. This river is clearly tea colored, as can be seen if one zooms in on the feet of the couple in the right hand side of the picture.

http://www.musicfancam.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/bruce_springsteen.jpg+...

Sometimes, the clue is in the fine print...

OK it is time I get off my keister and solve this by making a series of wild guesses.

First up, It is the Chehalis River in Washington state.

edward said:
OK it is time I get off my keister and solve this by making a series of wild guesses.

First up, It is the Chehalis River in Washington state.

Nope. But if you know where the two people in fine print are from, you have the answer.

ps. Rumour has it that April 1st is being replaced with September 1st this year. Or August 31st, depending on your time zone.

Argh.

DB+DB=GB

GB+AB=2MB

It's that simple...

or, at least it will be, in 3 days...

Good god, does anyone know algebra on this forum?.....

ALGEBRA ! And I was thinking literature as in: Doo Bie or not Doo Bie.:devil:

edward said:
ALGEBRA ! And I was thinking literature as in: Doo Bie or not Doo Bie.:devil:

Greg's mom and dad's first names both start with "D".

I didn't know that, and thought his mom was his sister when I PM'd her, to get their waist sizes, so I could send them magical tofu underwear as a wedding present.

Mom didn't respond...

FB sucks...

Fox River?

Jonathan Scott said:
Fox River?

Nope. But it's been so long, I'm having trouble with these clues.

Ah ha! Bruce Springsteen is "The Boss".

And the person standing next to "The Boss" in the original image is his wife.

Uh oh. I just checked out both of their profiles, and neither lists where they are from. Hmmm... This could explain things.

Ok. Here's an image that appears to be popular when googling the river's name.

pf.wtlm.2014.08.25.0847.jpg

I was going by information about his home town from Facebook, but if you simply mean the state, Wisconsin, then OK, it might well be the Wisconsin river.

Jonathan Scott said:
I was going by information about his home town from Facebook, but if you simply mean the state, Wisconsin, then OK, it might well be the Wisconsin river.

That's it! The couple is from Wisconsin.

I actually now can't find evidence that the original was taken on the Wisconsin river. Oh well, rivers all look alike anyways.

Your turn.

OK, here's the next one:

2d9pl45.jpg

Why do you post pictures of naked horse riders, do you want to get banned?

Borek said:
Why do you post pictures of naked horse riders, do you want to get banned?

:smile: I thought that if I used an out-of-focus picture it would be less obvious! Also, it's nothing like as bad as the picture I got when I turned round to face the other way.

I assume you've recognised the landmark, so you're welcome to give the answer and do the next one, but if you don't want to, I think you've probably given a strong enough clue for someone else to find it quite quickly.

Jonathan Scott said:
:smile: I thought that if I used an out-of-focus picture it would be less obvious! Also, it's nothing like as bad as the picture I got when I turned round to face the other way.

I assume you've recognised the landmark, so you're welcome to give the answer and do the next one, but if you don't want to, I think you've probably given a strong enough clue for someone else to find it quite quickly.

Yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRZ5BZemk4M​

Lady Godiva Clock in Broadgate, Coventry, UK

ps. I did confirm the previous landmark was the Wisconsin river. Took me only an hour... :grumpy:

pf.wtlm.2014.08.25.1200.jpg

OmCheeto said:
Lady Godiva Clock in Broadgate, Coventry, UK

Yes, exactly; well done.

My wife's parents live in Coventry and we went there to see them last week. The kids particularly enjoyed seeing the clock in action. There's a Lady Godiva statue in the middle of the square as well.

Over to you again.

Jonathan Scott said:
Yes, exactly; well done.

My wife's parents live in Coventry and we went there to see them last week. The kids particularly enjoyed seeing the clock in action. There's a Lady Godiva statue in the middle of the square as well.

Over to you again.

Interesting story about Lady Godiva. All I'd ever heard was that she rode naked through some town one day on a horse. She's the source of the term: "Peeping Tom". And the namesake of "Godiva" chocolates. I never knew why she rode naked. It looks like she considered her husband a bit too greedy.

Anyways, here's the next one:

pf.wtlm.2014.08.25.1212.not.the.LHC.jpg

I saw it yesterday on FB, and at first thought it was the Large Hadron Collider.

Sagrada Familia, by Gaudi.

Oh, it's in Barcelona.

lisab said:
Sagrada Familia, by Gaudi.

Oh, it's in Barcelona.

Correct!

When I saw the image, I immediately thought of this game, and wished someone would solve my Wisconsin puzzle. But then I saw that the church has been under construction for the last 132 years, and decided it might be an easy landmark. Apparently so.

You're up!