Single photon - how do they do this?

• Thread starter ShadowKnight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary: This experiment is sloppy because it is measuring the output of the photoelectric effect, not the input.
ShadowKnight
Not sure if this is the right forum for this - if not please correct me. One thing I've always wondered - How do researchers set up experiments - such as the dual slit experiment - to slow down and allow only a SINGLE photon or electron at a time? How do they do this? Especially with photons, how do you allow only a single photon at a time? Can something like this be done outside of an expensive research lab?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe if you shine light on a metal, there's a certain frequency at which an electron is emitted, its speed proportional to the energy of the photon.

Photons are emitted when electrons travel from high energy states to lower energy states. I'm sure they can control this one also to conduct an experiment with the result.

Decreasing the intensity of a light source is equivalent to reducing the number of photons. Low intensity is the key.

As for an expensive lab, the human eye can detect 5 or more photons at a time. If you gradually decrease the intensity of a source, eventually you will reach a point where half the time you see a flash and half the time you don't (even though you know one occured). This is when you know you are right on the borderline of 5 photons at a time.

Is the size of a photon arbitrary?

Photons are "bundles of light." There is discussion about whether or not light is infinitely divisible, correct? If we don't know that it is by nature particulate, how did we decide the size of these bundles?

Sorry for all the questions. This is a great topic. Thank you. I have been trying to find information on this for a while, but many authors and teachers seem to prefer it as "not important." :cry:

Last edited:
I haven't gotten as many responses to this as I had imagined so allow me to broaden my question:

I've been reading a lot about experiments that have been performed with light, the dual slit experiment being one of them. While I believe the results I read about, I'm the type of person that like to try these things for myself. So, how would someone not in a large expensive lab attempt an experiment where the idea is to 'shoot' a single photon at a time? How do the big research labs do it?

ShadowKnight said:
So, how would someone not in a large expensive lab attempt an experiment where the idea is to 'shoot' a single photon at a time? How do the big research labs do it?

A Google search on "single photon interference" turns up on the first page of hits, links to descriptions of undergraduate lab experiments or demonstrations at Princeton, Harvard and Brown Universities.

jtbell, thank you very much for that search tip. Those sites illuminate the matter well, pun thoroughly intended.

But the question remains. The http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scdiroff/lds/QuantumRelativity/SinglePhotonInterference/SinglePhotonInterference.html, which is from Harvard, says this in the comments section:

Strictly speaking, we are not detecting single photons of light but rather single photoelectrons, liberated by the light impinging on the detector screen.
Isn't it rather sloppy (and possibly false) to say that we are detecting, and therefore emitting, photons one-by-one, when we are really detecting the one-by-one output from the photoelectric effect?

Last edited:

1. How is a single photon created?

A single photon can be created in a variety of ways, such as through spontaneous emission in atoms or as a result of certain chemical reactions. In some cases, specialized devices called single photon sources can be used to produce single photons more reliably.

2. How do scientists detect a single photon?

Detecting a single photon is a challenging task, as it requires extremely sensitive equipment. One method is to use a photomultiplier tube, which amplifies the signal of a single photon to make it detectable. Another method is to use superconducting nanowire detectors, which can detect even single photons with high efficiency.

3. What is the significance of single photons in quantum physics?

Single photons play a crucial role in quantum physics, as they are the basic unit of light and carry discrete amounts of energy. They also exhibit wave-particle duality, meaning they can behave as both a particle and a wave. This property is essential for understanding and manipulating quantum systems.

4. How are single photons used in modern technology?

Single photons have a wide range of applications in modern technology, particularly in the field of quantum information processing. They can be used for secure communication, quantum computing, and quantum cryptography. Single photons also play a role in cutting-edge imaging techniques, such as fluorescence microscopy.

5. Can single photons be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, single photons can be manipulated and controlled using various techniques. For example, they can be directed using mirrors and lenses, or they can be split into multiple paths using beam splitters. Single photons can also be entangled with other particles, allowing for quantum information to be transferred and processed.