Books to learn about computers?

In summary, the speaker is interested in learning about computing and is looking for a book at an introductory level. They have received one recommendation for "Introduction to Computing Systems" and are seeking further opinions before purchasing it.
pierce15
Hello,

My summer has just begun and I am looking forward to being able to learn things that interest me which I will not be able to learn about in school for a while. One of these topics is computing. I know that this is a very complicated matter, but I am interested in learning the principles of how computers work. I have no prior knowledge, so I would like to learn from something written at the introductory level, yet I will embrace anything that explores complex ideas.

So, to clarify: I am looking for a book (or a few books) to build and solidify an understanding of how computers (and even calculators or printers) work.

Thank you.

Technology news on Phys.org
I have received one recommendation for "Introduction to Computing Systems: from Bits and Gates to C+ and Beyond". If you have read this, I would greatly appreciate your opinion on it before I purchase it.

1. What are the best books to learn about computers?

The best books to learn about computers will depend on your specific interests and goals. Some popular options include "Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software" by Charles Petzold, "Computer Science: An Interdisciplinary Approach" by Robert Sedgewick and Kevin Wayne, and "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. It is also a good idea to look for books that are regularly updated to keep up with the constantly evolving field of computer science.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to understand these books?

It depends on the book you choose. Some books may assume a basic understanding of computer hardware and programming concepts, while others may start from the very beginning. It is always a good idea to read reviews and book descriptions to get a sense of the level of prior knowledge required.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement these books?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement your learning from books. Some popular options include online courses, tutorial websites, and coding challenges. It can also be helpful to join online communities or forums where you can ask questions and learn from others.

4. How can I apply what I learn from these books in real-world scenarios?

You can apply what you learn from these books in a variety of ways. You can practice coding and programming exercises, work on personal projects, or even participate in hackathons or coding competitions. It is also important to stay updated with current industry trends and job requirements to apply your knowledge effectively.

5. Are there any books specifically for learning about a particular programming language or technology?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific programming languages or technologies. Some examples include "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes, "Head First Java" by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates, and "Learning React" by Alex Banks and Eve Porcello. It is always a good idea to research and choose a book that aligns with your specific learning goals.