Should I do my Masters on something more specific than my degree?

In summary: Mechanical engineering is a very broad field so you may want to look into other fields as well.There are many jobs available, but they may require different qualifications.Some jobs may require a specific degree, but other jobs may not.It really depends on the company.
socrates_1
Hi,I am studying mechanical engineering and I am going to apply for my masters in a few months.However, I am wondering if I should do my masters in Advanced Mechanical Engineering or in Fluid mechanics & Power Cycles.
What do you think?If I do my masters in something more specific, is this going to limit my employment opportunities?
thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion getting a specific masters will limit your employment opportunities. However it will open more advanced jobs as well.

socrates_1 said:
Hi,I am studying mechanical engineering and I am going to apply for my masters in a few months.However, I am wondering if I should do my masters in Advanced Mechanical Engineering or in Fluid mechanics & Power Cycles.
What do you think?If I do my masters in something more specific, is this going to limit my employment opportunities?
thank you.

so you have no idea what kind of job or field you'd like to work in?

Raioneru said:
so you have no idea what kind of job or field you'd like to work in?

Thank you for your reply.I know that I want a job related in thermo-fluid mechanics.Either in aeronautics and aerodynamics or in the oil and gas industry.However, I am not really sure that I will find the job I want(like everyone). If I do my masters on something specifc, when applying for other engineering positions, candidates with Masters in Advanced Mechanical Engineering will have an advance.

socrates_1 said:
Thank you for your reply.I know that I want a job related in thermo-fluid mechanics.Either in aeronautics and aerodynamics or in the oil and gas industry.However, I am not really sure that I will find the job I want(like everyone). If I do my masters on something specifc, when applying for other engineering positions, candidates with Masters in Advanced Mechanical Engineering will have an advance.

How big are these fields? I mean are there many jobs, or very few? (take a look at http://www.engineerjobs.com/ or similar websites and assess the quantity of jobs you're interested in compared to other fields)
what are the qualifications required to be eligible to those jobs?
Are the qualifications very strict? like in order to work @ Boeing, is it required to have a Msc in aeronautical engineering? or will a Msc in mechanical Engineering work too?

imo it's a matter of balance, you don't want to specialize too much because if you may not want to work in the same field your whole life, but at the same time some field require that.

1. What is the benefit of doing a more specific Masters degree compared to my undergraduate degree?

Doing a more specific Masters degree allows you to gain a deeper understanding and expertise in a particular area of your field. This can make you a more competitive candidate for jobs and can also open up more specialized career opportunities.

2. Will a more specific Masters degree limit my future career options?

While a more specific Masters degree may narrow your focus, it can also make you stand out in a crowded job market. You can always gain additional skills and knowledge through experience, certifications, or further education if you want to explore other career options in the future.

3. Is it worth the time and financial investment to do a more specific Masters degree?

The answer to this question depends on your individual goals and priorities. Consider the potential benefits of a more specific Masters degree, such as higher earning potential and specialized expertise, and weigh them against the time and financial costs.

4. Can I do a more specific Masters degree even if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters degree in a different field from your undergraduate degree. However, you may need to complete prerequisite courses or demonstrate relevant skills and knowledge in order to be accepted into the program.

5. How do I decide if a more specific Masters degree is right for me?

Consider your career goals and interests, as well as the current job market and demand for specialized skills in your field. Research different Masters programs and speak with advisors or professionals in your field to get a better understanding of the options available to you.