Interesting new career after physics phd

In summary, the speaker is a physics PhD looking for a new career after falling behind in publishing papers. They are considering taking a break from research and exploring other careers, such as computer science or using their skills in computing, simulation, programming, and visual arts. They are seeking a career that requires minimal training, such as developing a physics engine for gaming.
JagteRaho
Hi,
I am looking for an interesting new career after a physics phd. I had obtained my phd in physics about 7 years ago.

In the last few years, I've fallen behind in publishing papers due to some unfortunate events in my personal life. Despite my interest in research, I think that maintaining a presence in my current area is not going to be as fruitful as I had envisioned.

I am thus inclined to take a break and adventure into other careers. My experience includes computing, simulation, programming, mathematics etc. I am also good at visual arts (painting etc..).
I am looking for careers to which I can transition with minimal training.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go into computer science. Develop a physics engine for gaming :)

1. What are some career options for someone with a physics PhD?

There are many interesting and diverse career paths available to someone with a physics PhD. Some common options include research and development roles in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology, teaching and academia, data analysis and consulting, and science communication and writing.

2. Can I transition into a new career after completing my physics PhD?

Yes, absolutely! Many people with physics PhDs successfully transition into new careers outside of traditional academia. Your PhD will have equipped you with valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, which are highly sought after in a variety of industries.

3. Is it possible to pursue a career in finance or business with a physics PhD?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in finance or business with a physics PhD. Having a strong background in math and analytical thinking can be an asset in these fields. You may also consider completing additional coursework or getting certifications in finance or business to make yourself more competitive.

4. Are there any non-traditional career paths for someone with a physics PhD?

Yes, there are many non-traditional career paths for someone with a physics PhD. Some examples include patent law, science policy, science journalism, and science outreach and education. It's important to research and explore different industries and roles to find what interests you.

5. How can I market my physics PhD to potential employers in a new field?

When applying for jobs in a new field, it's important to highlight the transferable skills and knowledge you gained during your PhD. These can include problem-solving, data analysis, project management, and communication skills. It may also be helpful to tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job and industry you are applying for.