EE looking to go into consulting (automation)

In summary, an electrician who is just starting out in the engineering field is looking for guidance on what the scope of work is for a consultant in this field.
Dublin
A bit of background first,
I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I completed my electrician apprenticeship and received my ticket in summer 2012 and I just finished my first year of general engineering will be starting Electrical engineering in september. I am trying to find my direction in the field and currently I feeling interest in automation and control.1. I would really love to start a small consulting firm (after I
receive my P.E) and I am curious as to the difficulty of starting a firm in the field of automation.

2. I am working a summer position in process control working with a couple technician and I mostly help troubleshoot devices, put together engineering packages for equipment that needs to be replaced and update old drawings. So now my question is, as a engineer in this field I feel like I may be doing something else(I don't actually work with engineers). What is the scope of work for an engineer in this field and as a consultant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually when people hire a consultant, they are looking for someone experienced in the field. I think you will have difficulty getting customers for your consulting business if you are fresh out of school. The usual route is for someone to work in their field for a period of time (10 years, 20 years?), then launch a consulting business, using their years of experience as a selling point.

Agree, with above. If you have to ask what the scope of work for a consultant in a given field is you are ill prepared to be a consultant in that field. My suggestion would be find a job in that field and reevaluate your options after you have some experience with it.

Well yeah when I said after my designation I mean 10 years after I've been in the field... I was looking to apply at a consulting company that advertise positions at my school until I know what I'm doing inside and out

I would also like to learn what I can before hand so if I get the opportunity I may be able to do extra curricular work towards it like maybe plc training

Last edited:

I can provide some insights into the field of automation and consulting. Firstly, congratulations on completing your electrician apprenticeship and starting your journey in electrical engineering. Your interest in automation and control is well-aligned with the current trends and advancements in the industry.

1. Starting a consulting firm in the field of automation can be a challenging but rewarding endeavor. It requires a strong understanding of the industry, technological advancements, and market demand. You will also need to have a solid network of potential clients and partners. Additionally, obtaining your P.E. license will add credibility to your firm and increase your chances of success. It would be beneficial to research the market demand for automation consulting services in your area and assess the competition before starting your firm.

2. The scope of work for an engineer in the field of automation can vary depending on the industry and company. However, some common tasks may include designing and implementing control systems, troubleshooting and maintenance of equipment, developing automation strategies, and collaborating with other engineers and technicians. As a consultant, your scope of work may include providing expert advice and solutions to clients, conducting feasibility studies, designing customized automation systems, and project management. It is important to continuously expand your knowledge and skills in this field to stay updated with the latest technologies and techniques.

In conclusion, the field of automation and consulting offers a wide range of opportunities for engineers. With your background in electrical engineering and experience in process control, you are well-positioned to pursue a career in this field. I would recommend networking with other professionals in the industry, keeping up with the latest advancements, and gaining experience in different areas to help you determine your specific interests and strengths. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What skills do I need to have as an EE to be successful in consulting?

As an EE looking to go into consulting, it is important to have a strong foundation in electrical engineering principles such as circuit analysis, signal processing, and control systems. Additionally, having knowledge and experience in automation technologies and programming languages such as Python, C++, and MATLAB can be beneficial.

2. What types of projects can I expect to work on as an EE consultant in automation?

As an EE consultant in automation, you may work on a variety of projects ranging from designing and implementing automation systems for manufacturing processes to developing software for control systems in smart homes or buildings. You may also work on projects related to renewable energy, automotive systems, or robotics.

3. How does consulting in automation differ from traditional EE roles?

Consulting in automation typically involves working on short-term projects for various clients, whereas traditional EE roles may involve longer-term projects for a specific company. Additionally, consulting may require more interaction with clients and a focus on finding solutions to their specific needs, while traditional EE roles may involve more technical design and analysis work.

4. What industries or companies typically hire EE consultants in automation?

EE consultants in automation can be hired by a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, automotive, energy, aerospace, and technology companies. They may also work for consulting firms or as independent contractors for various clients.

5. Can I transition from an EE role to a consulting role in automation without prior consulting experience?

While prior consulting experience can be beneficial, it is possible to transition from an EE role to a consulting role in automation without it. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of the principles and technologies related to automation, as well as excellent communication and problem-solving skills. You may also consider taking courses or obtaining certifications in consulting and project management to enhance your skills and marketability.