How can i calculate pressure drop in air compressor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of moody diagram for air compressors and the calculation of pressure drop in a pipe. It is mentioned that for velocities less than 0.3 Mach, incompressible flow equations can be used, but for higher speeds, a different analysis using compressible flow is required. The possibility of using a formula from Atlas Copco manual for pressure drop calculation is also brought up. The conversation concludes with a question about the use of incompressible flow equations with specific values for air compressor flow rate, pipe diameter, and pressure.
noname91
hi friends,
I am confused with incompressible and compressible flow.Can i use moody diagram for air compressor.How can i calculate pressure drop in pipe.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As long as the velocity of the air flow < 0.3 Mach, the incompressible flow equations (Darcy-Weisbach) can be used to calculate pressure drop in a piping system. Once speed > 0.3 Mach, then a different analysis using compressible flow is called for.

I don't know what you mean by 'Can I use moody diagram for air compressor?'

Crane Technical Paper 410 covers some simple compressible flows for air and other gases. It's worth laying your hands on a copy.

I found a formula from atlas copco manual
p1-p2=(450*(q^1,85)*L)/((d^5)*p)
q=air flow (l/s)
d=internal pipe diameter(mm)
l=length of the pipe bar(a)
p=absolute initial pressure

atlas copco products air compressor.Can i use this formula to calculate pressure drop in pipeline?

Last edited:
It's worth a shot. Remember, pressure is in units of bars.

air compressor Q=2,6m^3/min D(diameter)=50mm P(pressure)=7,5Bar

V=Q/A ---> V=4*(2,6/60)/(3,14*0,05^2)

V=22,08m/s MACH=22,08/340=0,064

Can i use incompressible flow equations(DARCY-WEİSBACH)?

1. How do I calculate the pressure drop in an air compressor?

To calculate the pressure drop in an air compressor, you will need to know the inlet pressure, outlet pressure, and flow rate of the air. You can then use the following formula: Pressure drop = (Inlet pressure - Outlet pressure) * (Flow rate / Compressor efficiency). The compressor efficiency can be found in the manufacturer's specifications or can be estimated based on the type and condition of the compressor.

2. What factors can affect the pressure drop in an air compressor?

The pressure drop in an air compressor can be affected by various factors such as the type and condition of the compressor, the air temperature and humidity, the type of air filter used, and the length and diameter of the air pipes. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the pressure drop to ensure accuracy.

3. What is a normal pressure drop in an air compressor?

A normal pressure drop in an air compressor can vary depending on the type and size of the compressor, as well as the operating conditions. However, in general, a normal pressure drop should be around 10-15% of the inlet pressure. If the pressure drop is significantly higher, it could indicate a problem with the compressor or the air system.

4. Can I reduce the pressure drop in my air compressor?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the pressure drop in an air compressor. Some of the most effective ways include using a larger or more efficient compressor, minimizing the length and number of bends in the air pipes, and using a high-quality air filter. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the compressor and air system can also help reduce pressure drop.

5. Why is it important to calculate the pressure drop in an air compressor?

Calculating the pressure drop in an air compressor is important because it can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the compressor. A high pressure drop can result in increased energy consumption, reduced air flow, and potential damage to the compressor. By accurately calculating the pressure drop, you can ensure that your air compressor is operating at its optimal level and make any necessary adjustments to improve its performance.