Hang Nails: Causes, Prevention & Treatment

• Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Treatment
In summary: Picking at hangnails and removing cuticles can make the problem worse. Working at a job like UPS, where there is constant contact with paper, can increase the likelihood of getting hangnails. To prevent hangnails, it is important to keep the skin moisturized and avoid picking at hangnails or removing cuticles. In summary, hangnails are caused by dry and damaged skin, and it is important to keep the skin moisturized and avoid picking at them to prevent them from forming.
misskitty
Why do we get hang nails and why do they form? Any way to prevent the annoying little things?

Biology news on Phys.org
Them darn hangnails

:smile: Check this out.

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/47/70.cfm

Hmm, you learn something new every day. I was wondering why I always got those things when I was working at UPS loading cardboard boxes into trucks. Now I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a cool link thanks Huck. Thanks. Why on Earth would you try to remove your cuticles? They are there for a reason.

Last edited:
Gosh, you know, I get hangnails from time to time but I do exactly what it says not to. I just pick at them with a fingernail until they tear off. Never had any problem. I also rarely clip my nails; I peel the excess nail off with a fingernail from the other hand. No, it never goes into the quick.

Gah, I hate watching people do that. My friends do that instead of cut them...drives me nuts.

Its been a long time since I've worked at UPS but it was hell on the hangnails. I handled so many heavy cardboard boxes that it wore my fingerprints off. (They have since grown back, don't worry) The constant contact with the paper , according to that web site, was stealing the oils from my hand and the first part to suffer was the part that separates into the hangnail because it loses its water and dries up. I would get nasty hangnails all the time working there. Sometimes they would bleed. My cuticles were a mess too, but I think that was more from corners and stuff.

Do I sound metrosexual yet?
Huck

1. What causes hang nails?

Hang nails are caused by dry or damaged cuticles. When the cuticles become dry and brittle, they can tear or peel away from the nail, resulting in a hang nail.

2. How can I prevent hang nails?

The best way to prevent hang nails is to keep your cuticles moisturized. Use a cuticle oil or cream regularly to keep the cuticles hydrated and healthy. Also, avoid picking or biting at your cuticles, as this can cause damage and lead to hang nails.

3. Can certain habits increase the risk of hang nails?

Yes, certain habits can increase the risk of hang nails. These include biting or picking at the cuticles, using harsh chemicals on the nails, and excessive hand washing or exposure to water. It is important to be gentle with your nails and cuticles to prevent hang nails.

4. How should I treat a hang nail?

If you have a hang nail, do not pull or rip it off as this can cause further damage and lead to infection. Instead, use a clean pair of cuticle scissors to carefully trim off the excess skin. You can also apply a moisturizing cream or oil to the area to help soothe and heal the skin.

5. When should I see a doctor for a hang nail?

If you have a hang nail that is causing significant pain, redness, or swelling, it is best to see a doctor. These symptoms may indicate an infection, which will require medical treatment. Additionally, if you have frequent hang nails or other nail issues, it is a good idea to consult with a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.