Does Light Have Mass? | Exploring Einstein's Theory

• Thread starter adimantium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Mass
In summary, according to Einstein, photons have no mass, but a black hole has so much gravity that even light is sucked in. Because light is sucked into a black hole, we can infer that photons have mass. This is not true.
adimantium
Einstein said it would take an infinite amount of energy to move something at the speed of light. Photons move at the speed of light every day, so we can infer that photons have no mass. However, a black hole has so much gravity (gravity only affects matter) even light is sucked in. Because light is sucked into a black hole, we can infer that photons have mass. WHAT? how can this be?
I assume either some how photons can be propelled without an infinite amount of energy (very unlikely). Or light is sucked into a black hole for another reason besides gravity.

Physics news on Phys.org
adimantium said:
However, a black hole has so much gravity (gravity only affects matter)

This is not true. Gravity affects light too.

I assume either some how photons can be propelled without an infinite amount of energy (very unlikely). Or light is sucked into a black hole for another reason besides gravity.

Nope, it's just gravity.

It's because gravity isn't just a field force; it's the curvature of space-time, according to Einstein. When light is traveling across space-time, it must follow this curvature whether or not it has mass, and the curvature is caused by objects with mass/a gravitational force.
At least, that's how I interpret it.

depends on question also
what i know is that light is made of photons and mass less electric and magnetic fields.

photons have zero rest mass and its masswhile moving = h/λc (by the de brogle)
mind me to saying it may be wrong

Last edited:
Do photons have mass?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511175

Last edited:

1. Does light have mass?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, light does not have mass. It is made up of particles called photons, which have no rest mass and travel at the speed of light.

2. If light doesn't have mass, then how can it be affected by gravity?

Although light does not have mass, it does have energy. According to Einstein's theory, mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. Therefore, light can be affected by gravity because it has energy.

3. Can light be considered a form of matter since it has energy?

No, light cannot be considered a form of matter because it does not have rest mass. Matter is defined as anything that has mass and takes up space, while light does not have mass and does not occupy space in the same way that matter does.

4. Can light particles be affected by forces such as friction?

No, light particles (photons) do not experience friction because they do not have mass and therefore do not have inertia. This means they cannot be slowed down or stopped by forces such as friction.

5. Are there any experiments or evidence that support the idea of light having no mass?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments and observations that support the idea of light having no mass. One famous example is the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars, which is known as gravitational lensing. This phenomenon can only be explained if light has no mass.