What is the Invariant Magnitude of 4-Acceleration?

• Thread starter copernicus1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the 4-acceleration in an accelerated observer's frame is given by $$a^\mu=(0,{\bf a})$$ and the magnitude is $$-{\bf a}^2,$$ which should be invariant. However, from the general expression for the 4-acceleration, $$a_\mu a^\mu=-\gamma^4|{\bf a}|^2-\gamma^6\frac{|{\bf v\cdot a}|^2}{c^2},$$ it is clear that this is not the case. The correct expression for the magnitude is given by $$a_\mu a^\mu=-\gamma^6|{\bf a}|^2\left[1-\frac{|{\
copernicus1
I know that if you go an accelerated observer's frame, the 4-acceleration is $$a^\mu=(0,{\bf a})$$ which means the magnitude is just $$-{\bf a}^2$$ which should be invariant. But I'm having a hard time showing this from the general expression for the 4-acceleration. I get to $$a_\mu a^\mu=-\gamma^4|{\bf a}|^2-\gamma^6\frac{|{\bf v\cdot a}|^2}{c^2}.$$ But I don't know where to go from here. Any ideas or am I just wrong somehow?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
copernicus1 said:
I'm having a hard time showing this from the general expression for the 4-acceleration.

What general expression are you starting from?

copernicus1 said:
I'm starting from the expression on this page

Yes, that will work. How are you getting from that to the second expression you gave in your OP?

I don't think the three vector a is the same in the third equation as in the first and second equations. If you want to be working with the same 4 acceleration, you have to apply the Lorentz Transformation to its components.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I don't think the three vector a is the same in the third equation as in the first and second equations. If you want to be working with the same 4 acceleration, you have to apply the Lorentz Transformation to its components.

Chet
He's right, you know! :wink: In the first and second equation, a is the acceleration 3-vector in the instantaneous rest frame. In the third equation, a is the acceleration 3-vector in an arbitrary rest frame. They agree if you set v = 0 and γ = 1, but not otherwise.

I was under the impression [itex]{\bf a}[/itex] was an arbitrary acceleration 3-vector either way? There's nothing in the Wikipedia article that puts any constraints on [itex]{\bf a}[/itex].

This is the way I went about it:

The 4-acceleration is: $$a^\mu=\left(\gamma^4\frac{{\bf v}\cdot{\bf a}}c,\gamma^2{\bf a}+\gamma^4\frac{\bf v\cdot a}{c^2}{\bf v}\right).$$

The magnitude should be given by $$a_\mu a^\mu=\gamma^8\frac{\left|{\bf v\cdot a}\right|^2}{c^2}-\gamma^4|{\bf a}|^2-\gamma^8\frac{|{\bf v\cdot a}|^2}{c^4}|{\bf v}|^2-2\gamma^6\frac{|{\bf v\cdot a}|^2}{c^2}.$$

The first and third terms can be combined to give $$\left(1-\frac{|{\bf v}|^2}{c^2}\right)\gamma^8\frac{\left|{\bf v\cdot a}\right|^2}{c^2}=\gamma^6\frac{|{\bf v\cdot a}|^2}{c^2}.$$ So we now have $$a_\mu a^\mu=-\gamma^4|{\bf a}|^2-\gamma^6\frac{|{\bf v\cdot a}|^2}{c^2}.$$

Oh I think I see what you're saying. So then, is my answer for [itex]a_\mu a^\mu[/itex] the general expression for the norm? This is what I've been trying to find. If so, it's no wonder professors don't spend much time talking about it---it's hideous! :-)

You can still improve it as
[tex]a_\mu a^\mu=-\gamma^4|{\bf a}|^2-\gamma^6\frac{|{\bf v\cdot a}|^2}{c^2}.[/tex]
[tex]a_\mu a^\mu=-\gamma^6[\gamma^{-2}|{\bf a}|^2-\frac{|{\bf v\cdot a}|^2}{c^2}].[/tex]
[tex]a_\mu a^\mu=-\gamma^6[(1-\frac{|{\bf v}|^2}{c^2})|{\bf a}|^2-\frac{|{\bf v}|^2|{\bf a}|^2(cos \theta)^2}{c^2}].[/tex]
[tex]a_\mu a^\mu=-\gamma^6 |{\bf a}|^2[1-\frac{|{\bf v}|^2}{c^2}(1+ (cos \theta)^2)].[/tex]

That is, if that is an improvement...

Last edited:

What is the magnitude of 4-acceleration?

The magnitude of 4-acceleration is a measure of the rate at which the velocity of an object changes in a given time interval. It takes into account not only the change in speed, but also changes in direction and the effects of gravity.

How is the magnitude of 4-acceleration calculated?

The magnitude of 4-acceleration is calculated using the formula:
|A| = √(a02 - a12 - a22 - a32)
where a0, a1, a2, and a3 are the components of 4-acceleration in the time, x, y, and z directions respectively.

What is the significance of the magnitude of 4-acceleration?

The magnitude of 4-acceleration is a fundamental quantity in the field of special relativity. It is used to describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, and is an important factor in calculating the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

How does the magnitude of 4-acceleration differ from 3-acceleration?

The magnitude of 4-acceleration takes into account the effects of time and space, while 3-acceleration only considers changes in spatial velocity. 4-acceleration is a relativistic concept, while 3-acceleration is a classical concept that does not take into account the effects of special relativity.

Can the magnitude of 4-acceleration be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of 4-acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down in its current frame of reference. However, the overall magnitude of 4-acceleration is always positive, as it is a measure of the rate of change of velocity regardless of its direction.