What are some important physics equations for a physics calculator?

• Thread starter eNathan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, the author is making a physics calculator and needs some equations. He is implementing the Lorenz Transformation, some Gravity equations, and some other ones. Unfortunately, he does not know many equations and does not know how to group or categorize them. He asks for help, and if anybody wants the software, they can PM him.
eNathan
Hello. I am making a physics calculator and I need some equations. I am going to implement the Lorenz Transformation, some Gravity equations, and some other ones. Unfortautly I don't know (off hand) many equations, much less how to "group" or "catagorize" them.

Any help? :uhh:

If anybody wants the software just PM me, trust me its better than using a calculator and it has full "unit conversion" support. For instance, for speed units you can put something crazy like "50.8 kilo miles every 2 decades" and the code can actually compute it! Impressive conversion eh?

Physics news on Phys.org
C'mon I am sure a lot of people here know tons of ''common' equations.

scienceworld.wolfram.com might be a good place to go.

Incidentally, have you played with google's calculator? :smile:

Hurkyl said:
scienceworld.wolfram.com might be a good place to go.

Incidentally, have you played with google's calculator? :smile:

What are you imposing? :rofl: I have to hand it to google, there conversion calculator is as good as mines. I did use google to get my conversion factors for my code.

Im checking out that site now btw

[tex]\sqrt {1- \frac {v^2} {c^2} }[/tex]

[tex]T = \sqrt { \frac {2d} {g} } [/tex]
hence
[tex]d = \frac {2T^2} {g}[/tex]
and we can't forget
[tex]e = mc^2[/tex]

Any other famous equations?

Thx!

Last edited:
Are you interested only on binary equations (involving two variables)?

Not at all. It can have 10 variables I don't really care. Just as long as the equation is somewhat usfull. I mean, we all know things like [tex]s = \frac {d} {t}[/tex]

Any help?

I was thinking that you were going to model it like a calculator, defining new operators. For example you could define operator <velocity>, say with a sign #, and the user would press: 5, #, 2, =, to calculate

[tex]v = \frac{5}{2}[/tex].

I think it will be necessary for you to include all the important physics formulae, not only from mechanics, but also from other areas: thermodynamics, waves, optics, etc.

Some suggestions:

[tex]v = \frac{d}{t}[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{v - v_0}{t}[/tex]

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]F = ma[/tex]

[tex]p = mv[/tex]

[tex]W = Fdcos\theta[/tex]

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]PE_G = mgh[/tex]

[tex]F_G = G\frac{m1m2}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]F_E = k\frac{q1q2}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]v = f\lambda[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{u} + \frac{1}{v}[/tex]

and other formulas, of course (relativistic for example)

If you are ambitius, put also the ability to find derivatives, and why not also integrate.

[tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]W = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}Fdx[/tex]

ramollari said:
I was thinking that you were going to model it like a calculator, defining new operators. For example you could define operator <velocity>, say with a sign #, and the user would press: 5, #, 2, =, to calculate

[tex]v = \frac{5}{2}[/tex].

I think it will be necessary for you to include all the important physics formulae, not only from mechanics, but also from other areas: thermodynamics, waves, optics, etc.

Some suggestions:

[tex]v = \frac{d}{t}[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{v - v_0}{t}[/tex]

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]F = ma[/tex]

[tex]p = mv[/tex]

[tex]W = Fdcos\theta[/tex]

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]PE_G = mgh[/tex]

[tex]F_G = G\frac{m1m2}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]F_E = k\frac{q1q2}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]v = f\lambda[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{u} + \frac{1}{v}[/tex]

and other formulas, of course (relativistic for example)

If you are ambitius, put also the ability to find derivatives, and why not also integrate.

[tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]W = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}Fdx[/tex]

My idea of a calculator is way different from yours I think. And I don't understand half of the equations you gave me. Sorry if I sounds "ungrateful''. I am really more or a programmer than a physicists. I just like physics (but have never taken a course concerning it).

Also, can sombody please explain how to use the relavistic velocity equation which takes the form of [tex]w = \frac {u + v} {1 + \frac{uv} {c2} }[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a list of Physics Equations?

A list of Physics Equations is a comprehensive collection of mathematical equations that describe various physical phenomena, principles, and laws in the field of physics. These equations are used to solve problems and make predictions about the behavior of the physical world.

2. How are Physics Equations used in scientific research?

Physics Equations are used in scientific research to quantify and explain various physical phenomena. They are used to make predictions, test hypotheses, and analyze data in experiments. These equations also serve as the foundation for developing new theories and advancing our understanding of the physical world.

3. Are all Physics Equations universally applicable?

No, not all Physics Equations are universally applicable. Some equations are specific to certain branches of physics, such as classical mechanics, thermodynamics, or electromagnetism. Additionally, some equations may only apply under certain conditions or in certain systems, while others may have broader applications.

4. Can Physics Equations be altered or modified?

Yes, Physics Equations can be altered or modified to fit specific situations or to accommodate new discoveries. In fact, many equations have been refined and expanded over time as our understanding of the physical world has evolved. However, any modifications must be based on sound scientific principles and must be rigorously tested and verified.

5. Is it necessary to memorize all Physics Equations?

No, it is not necessary to memorize all Physics Equations. While it is important to have a basic understanding of the fundamental equations in physics, it is more important to understand the concepts and principles behind them. In most cases, equations can be derived from first principles or looked up when needed. The key is to understand how and when to apply them in problem-solving.