Could Mars Sustain Earth-Like Life with Similar Size and Core?

In summary: The stability of an atmosphere is affected by the balance of these escape processes.In summary, 1. The radius of 6378.1 km has enough gravity to hold this atmosphere in place and has a magnetic field strong enough to protect it.2. I think that would imply that the radius of Earth is in direct correlation to life as we know it.3. If Mars had has the similar solid rock content with similar radioactive element amount as earth, that would keep the matle liquid, and that would make a similar magnetic field.
JeremyPeel
Please forgive me. My education is lacking go easy on me.

The radius of 6378.1 km has enough gravity to hold this atmosphere in place and has a magnetic field strong enough to protect it.
1. My question is would Mars have the same atmosphere and magnetic field if it were the same radius ((+/- 10% of earth)(not sure how to prove this out)) and had the same radius core ((+/- 10% of earth)(not sure how to prove this out))?
2. Would all bodies with this radius and mass ((+/- 10% of earth)(not sure how to prove this out)) and with enough energy from the parent star have life as we know it?

I think that would imply that the radius of Earth is in direct correlation to life as we know it.
Please let me know if these idea are sound!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hi Jeremy
welcome to PF

some possibilities there :)

as far as the magnetic field goes, do you understand how the Earth's magnetic field originates ?

also google the Goldilocks Zone to find out about the possibility of planets supporting life as we know it

cheers
Dave

Love the anti-gravity quote btw. Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Wouldn't gravity prohibit life from any planet with the radius 30 % larger or smaller than earth, regardless of distance from the sun in respect to how gravity holds onto the atmosphere of the planet and all that implies?

I think i understand the magnetic field with the solid iron core and molten iron around that. A big electro-magnet the currents flowing in the churning molten iron correct?
How small would the core have to be to not protect the Earth from the solar winds?

Thanks for all your help. I looked at the links and it was a lot of help.

If Mars had has the similar solid rock content with similar radioactive element amount as earth, that would keep the matle liquid, and that would make a similar magnetic field. I am ignoring local magnetic anomalies generated by solar wind on a planet without significant atmospher, like moon (okey, planetoid)

mass alone does not define atmospheric stability, it has to lack lighter contents, e.g. H, He, and the heavier contents like Earth has to previal for a stable atmosphere. I am also ignoring incoming solar radiation is different in two planets. The incoming solar radiation drives the heating and escape (and some other escape processes) in the atmosphere.

What is "Planet Mechanics"?

"Planet Mechanics" is a term used to describe the study of the physical and mechanical processes that take place on planets, including their formation, composition, and behavior.

What are some key topics studied in "Planet Mechanics"?

Some key topics studied in "Planet Mechanics" include planetary geology, atmospheric dynamics, tectonics, and the interactions between different components of a planet, such as its core, mantle, and surface.

Why is "Planet Mechanics" important?

"Planet Mechanics" is important because it helps us understand the processes that shape our own planet, as well as other planets in our solar system and beyond. This knowledge can also be applied to other fields, such as climate science and the search for life on other planets.

How is "Planet Mechanics" studied?

"Planet Mechanics" is studied using a variety of methods, including remote sensing techniques, computer modeling, and laboratory experiments. Scientists also use data from space missions and observations made by telescopes and other instruments to gain insight into planetary processes.

What are some current areas of research in "Planet Mechanics"?

Some current areas of research in "Planet Mechanics" include the study of exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system), the effects of climate change on planetary systems, and the role of planetary dynamics in the evolution of life on Earth and other planets.