Show that the set of sets {An} has n elements

In summary, the conversation is about defining the set of sets {An:n∈ℕ} by recursion and proving by induction that for all n∈ℕ, the set A_n has n elements and is transitive. The conversation also touches on the definition of a set having n elements and the use of induction in this proof.
alejandro7
We define by recursion the set of sets {An:n∈ℕ} this way:

A_0=∅
A_n+1=A_n ∪ {A_n}.

I want to prove by induction that for all n∈ℕ, the set A_n has n elements and that A_n is transitive (i.e. if x∈y∈A_n, then x∈A_n).

My thoughts:

for n=0, A_1 = ∅∪ {∅} = {∅}

then, for n+1: A_n+2 =A_n+1 ∪ {A_n+1}

I'm confused on how to proceed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give the exact definition of what it means that a set has ##n##elements?

I feel it might be useful to prove by induction that

[tex]A_{n+1} = \{A_0,...,A_n\}[/tex]

Then proving transitivity is a lot easier.

For n=0, A_0=∅ has 0 elements.

Suppose A_n has n elements, prove A_n+1 has n+1 elements. Than you are done proving the number of elements. The transitive part is probably similar.

FactChecker said:
For n=0, A_0=∅ has 0 elements.

Suppose A_n has n elements, prove A_n+1 has n+1 elements. Than you are done proving the number of elements. The transitive part is probably similar.

Again, what do you mean with "a set has ##n## elements"?

micromass said:
Again, what do you mean with "a set has ##n## elements"?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I mean that the set is finite, countable and when you count the elements, there are n of them.

FactChecker said:
I'm not sure I understand the question. I mean that the set is finite, countable and when you count the elements, there are n of them.

Not really a formal definition though. But maybe the OP is happy with handwaving.

FactChecker said:

Although, in this particular case, you might need also to justify that the elements are different from each other!

micromass said:
Not really a formal definition though. But maybe the OP is happy with handwaving.

I don't want to get into a discussion here over what counting with natural numbers means.

FactChecker said:
I don't want to get into a discussion here over what counting with natural numbers means.

Ok, good to know.

But maybe the OP needs to have such a discussion in order to correctly answer his question. It depends what his professor is happy with.

micromass said:
Ok, good to know.

But maybe the OP needs to have such a discussion in order to correctly answer his question. It depends what his professor is happy with.

I am not trying to do his homework. I'm just trying to point out where he was missing the proof by induction because he was not using the fact that it is true for n in the proof of n+1. That seemed to be the original OP question. I don't know what is assumed or wanted in his class.

FactChecker said:
I am not trying to do his homework. I'm just trying to point out where he was missing the proof by induction because he was not using the fact that it is true for n in the proof of n+1. That seemed to be the original OP question. I don't know what is assumed or wanted in his class.

In this very special case, induction is actually not needed if you define things the correct (and the usual) way.

1. What does it mean for a set to have n elements?

A set having n elements means that the set contains exactly n distinct objects. These objects are called the elements of the set.

2. How do you prove that a set has n elements?

In order to prove that a set has n elements, you need to show that the set contains exactly n distinct objects and that there are no additional objects in the set. This can be done by listing out the elements of the set or by using mathematical notation to represent the set's elements.

3. Can a set have more than or less than n elements?

Yes, a set can have more or less than n elements. The key is that the set must have exactly n elements in order for the statement "the set has n elements" to be true.

4. Is there a specific way to represent the set of sets {An}?

Yes, the set of sets {An} can be represented using set-builder notation: {A1, A2, A3, ..., An}. This notation shows that the set contains n distinct sets, with each set being represented by a different subscript.

5. What is the significance of studying the set of sets {An}?

The set of sets {An} is important in understanding the concept of cardinality, which refers to the number of elements in a set. It also allows for the study of infinite sets and their properties, as well as the development of mathematical proofs and theories.