Standard Deviation of Kinetic Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of thermodynamic temperature being interpreted as the average kinetic energy in a system and whether there is a defined quantity for the standard deviation of this energy. It is mentioned that the individual molecules have a random distribution of speeds and that temperature is not always interpreted as the average kinetic energy. The conversation also touches on the idea of a thermodynamic quantity that describes the proximity to thermal equilibrium and its relation to the standard deviation of energy. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is no name for this quantity and that temperature is not always directly related to average kinetic energy in all systems.
njmcmu
If thermodynamic temperature can be interpreted as the average kinetic energy in a system, is there a quantity defined as the standard deviation?

For example, let's say you poured some hot water into a cup of cold water. The instant you poured it the standard deviation of the system would be high, and I'm assuming it would lower as it reached thermal equilibrium. Is there a name for this quantity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think 'standard deviation' is only meaningful when you make a series of measurements to determine the properties of a system.

njmcmu said:
If thermodynamic temperature can be interpreted as the average kinetic energy in a system

Better: the average KE per molecule.

is there a quantity defined as the standard deviation?

The individual molecules have a random distribution of speeds. For example, in an ideal gas:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/kintem.html#c3

From this, you can derive the distribution for kinetic energy and find its standard deviation.

I guess my question could be be asked this way:

Is there a thermodynamic quantity that describes how close or far from thermal equilibrium a system is? And if so, how would this quantity relate to the standard deviation of the energy of the systems constituents?

I don't think there is a name for that. Also, keep in mind that temperature really isn't interpreted as the average kinetic energy of particles though that happens to be true for an ideal classic gas model.

Thank you all for your replies. I actually got my bachelors in physics, but I mostly slept through Thermo . . . both times . . .

What is standard deviation of kinetic motion?

Standard deviation of kinetic motion is a measure of how much the individual values of kinetic motion deviate from the mean. It is a statistical tool used to quantify the variability or spread of data points in a dataset.

How is standard deviation of kinetic motion calculated?

The standard deviation of kinetic motion is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of squared differences between each data point and the mean, divided by the total number of data points in the dataset.

What does a high standard deviation of kinetic motion indicate?

A high standard deviation of kinetic motion indicates that the data points are spread out over a wider range, and there is a larger variability in the kinetic motion values. This could be due to various factors such as measurement errors, sample size, or the nature of the system being studied.

How is standard deviation of kinetic motion used in scientific research?

In scientific research, standard deviation of kinetic motion is used to analyze and compare data sets, and to determine the significance of experimental results. It also helps in identifying outliers and determining the precision and reliability of the data.

Can standard deviation of kinetic motion be negative?

No, standard deviation of kinetic motion cannot be negative since it is the square root of the sum of squared differences and therefore always results in a positive value. A value of zero indicates that all data points are identical, while a larger value indicates a wider spread of data points from the mean.