Career Advice for Physics Undergraduates

In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Physics with a minor in Computer Science. They are also interested in working with computers and programming. They plan to pursue a master's degree in applied science but are unsure of what they can do with an undergraduate degree in physics. The suggested option is a master's in Computational/Simulation Science, with the possibility of cross-departmental research opportunities. Other potential career paths mentioned include Game Physics Engines and Computational Astrophysics. The speaker acknowledges the need to explore interdisciplinary programs.
churi55
I am currently on towards my undergraduate degree in Physics, with a minor in Computer Science.

Besides physics and math, I enjoy working with computers, programming, and using CAS's such as Maple and Matlab.

I am planning to work towards a master's degree in applied science but a PhD in Physics is not an option for me so the problem is "what can I do with an undergraduate degree in physics?" (Or what kind of master's program should I consider ?)

Physics news on Phys.org
a masters in Computational/Simulations Science is probably your best bet.
Look to make sure you nearly qualify for a specific dept...with mostlikely a year of undergrad to make the qualificaion.

Talk toe the Grad Advisors about Cross-Departmental research...for example
UBC and CMU both do cs/math/psych ...some schools also have a math/bio

so what your looking for will mostlikely be a cs/phys/math.
If you also enjoy playing games-perhaps Game Physics Engines will be your career of choice...then I suggest studying up on SPatial Management(mesh methods, BSPs, Octrees) as well CLASSICAL/ANal Mech.

ANother Alternative is Computational Astrophysics(if you like the pretty pictures)

thanks for the advice!

I guess I need to start looking for interdisciplinary programs.

1. What types of careers are available for physics undergraduates?

There are a wide range of career options for physics undergraduates including research, engineering, teaching, finance, and data analysis. Physics graduates also often pursue careers in healthcare, law, and technology.

2. How can I stand out as a physics undergraduate when applying for jobs?

One way to stand out as a physics undergraduate is to gain experience through internships, research projects, and extracurricular activities. Additionally, networking with professionals in your desired field and developing strong communication and problem-solving skills can make you a competitive candidate.

3. Is it necessary to pursue a graduate degree in physics?

While a graduate degree in physics can open up additional career opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries, it is not always necessary. Many physics undergraduates find successful careers in industries such as engineering and finance without a graduate degree. It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests.

4. How can I prepare for a career in physics while still in college?

To prepare for a career in physics, it is important to take challenging courses in physics, mathematics, and computer science. Additionally, gaining research experience, participating in internships, and attending conferences can help you build a strong foundation for your future career.

5. What skills are important for a successful career in physics?

Some important skills for a successful career in physics include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, proficiency in mathematics and computer programming, and the ability to work independently and in a team. Excellent communication and time management skills are also essential for success in this field.