Questions About Time Before the Big Bang

• Thread starter HMS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time before and after the Big Bang. The mainstream theory suggests that time began with the Big Bang and any events prior to it may not have any influence on the current universe. There are various speculations and hypotheses about what caused the Big Bang, but it is currently unknown and perhaps unknowable. The question of what happened before the Big Bang may not have a definite answer and the human mind may not be able to comprehend it. The concept of time is also debated, with some suggesting it is man-made while others argue that it is influenced by space.
Time and space are part of space time continuum. Saying "The concept of time evaporates without entitities in motion" is equivalent to "The concept of space evaporates without entitities in motion"

Now it sounds crazier.
t and x are variables.
What you are saying is "the concept of real numbers evaporates if you don't have a function with dy/dx<>0. For example, if function is contant, x does not exist"

also, motion relative to what?
do you include virtual particles (which are real in some frames) into "entities"?

Space news on Phys.org
Dmitry67 said:
Time and space are part of space time continuum. Saying "The concept of time evaporates without entitities in motion" is equivalent to "The concept of space evaporates without entitities in motion"
Agreed.
Dmitry67 said:
Now it sounds crazier.
t and x are variables.
What you are saying is "the concept of real numbers evaporates if you don't have a function with dy/dx<>0. For example, if function is contant, x does not exist"
Not at all, you are confounding the issue by injecting irrelevant arguments.
Dmitry67 said:
also, motion relative to what?
do you include virtual particles (which are real in some frames) into "entities"?
I like the motion relative to what part. I fail to see, however, the relevance of virtual particles in this discussion.

Last edited:
Because there is no such thing as 'empty space'

Questions like these are grounded in uncertainty--not that they shouldn't be asked, they are vital questions that are indeed necessary to ask. The questions of when time began, when the universe began, etc. are questions that we simply don't know the answer to. Convention suggests that the moment time began was was at "The Big Bang." But the truth is, we don't know for sure if the universe was formed by a big bang--perhaps it had no origin at all, though observational evidence would suggest we are correct in assuming this a proper, or at least plausible, understanding of our origins.

turbo-1 said:
Can you explain how this can be? What are the initial conditions necessary for the the original effect to arise? Cannot these conditions in any way be construed as causes?

According to Newton's law:"Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" and comparing it with the Cause and effect principle...Isn't every reaction or effect in essence another cause or action. So it sums up to the fact that cause and effect are just events..not different entities.

I think (if the Big Bang Theory is correct) that the universe is always expanding and collapsing hens-forth the big bang it could been possible that there was another bb and another bb on and on

I believe in infinity which means there is no start to time. I see our universe and only part of a bigger universe which has a greater time. This universe is inside another universe so on and so on forever. Time as we know it is the start of our universe ONLY in it current form. Prior to the BB our universe had a diiferent form. So time is infinite and we are able to capture it at this moment.

Time in this universe has a definitive beginning. Time before this universe arose is undefinable [hence irrelevant]. No 'clocks' predating the existence of this universe are known to exist.

The very concept of "begin of time" is already self-contradicting at it's very bottom, since to talk about "begin" means that we have a concept of time already in which something was not, then went through a birth process and thereafter was existing.

How can it possible be valid for time itself?

Last edited:
there are many options.
Very likely close to the BB time will lose some of the properties we got used to
For example, due to very low entropy at BB 'arrow of time' won't be defined.
Or, the number of time dimensions will be different
Or, there will be no difference between spatial and time dimensions.

Time as we know it began at the formation of the universe. However, there was a sort-of time before that, as you need time to have a cause and effect chain reaction, such as the so-called "big bang". It took time for the random quarks to form quark/antiquark annihilation, time for the expansion of space, and time for the heat in that space, which was upward of a million degrees Fahrenheit, to dissipate to the point of quarks forming proton, nucleus, electron, and neutron. There is also the matter of local v.s universe time, which takes forever to explain, but I will. Later.

Last edited:
Why exclude what existed before the BB from the term universe? Obviously SOMETHING existed otherwise there would be nothing here right now. So if something existed and the universe refers to all which exists then how do we cogently justify not classifying that something-as universe?

About time-well, time is a perception of a sequences of events. Since events are presently being assumed as happening prior to the Big Bang then using that criterion of potential perception of such events then time existed prior to the BB. Especially if we imagine appearances of virtual particles, intermittent collision of undulating branes, creation of dimensions, emergances of multiple bubble universe in a hyperspace and the like which scientists are now fondly tossing around as possible in order to take physics beyond the BB barrier.

Can anyone help me with this one!,i don't think its a very original question but keeps recurring in my head..
If time existed before the big bang,then it seems to me that time in the past may be infinite ie :That if there is no beginning of time the past therefore must be infinite,..If this is correct and the past is infinite ,then how could we reach the present time ,,ie have we waited an eternity to be born ,,which then leads me to conclude a contridictve answer that maybe by logic that time does not exist at all ..Or am i just talking a load of

Can anyone help me with this one!,i don't think its a very original question but keeps recurring in my head..
If time existed before the big bang,then it seems to me that time in the past may be infinite ie :That if there is no beginning of time the past therefore must be infinite,..If this is correct and the past is infinite ,then how could we reach the present time ,,ie have we waited an eternity to be born ,,which then leads me to conclude a contridictve answer that maybe by logic that time does not exist at all ..Or am i just talking a load of ??

Radrook said:
Why exclude what existed before the BB from the term universe? Obviously SOMETHING existed otherwise there would be nothing here right now. So if something existed and the universe refers to all which exists then how do we cogently justify not classifying that something-as universe?

"Obviously" is very misleading.
"Obviously" tells us too many things which are wrong: that simultaneously is absolute, that space is flat, that it is independent of time etc.
Don't trust "common sense"

Mathematically, there are solutions (Goedels for example) where time is looped. This example proved that there is no requirement for TIME to be in range -inf..+inf

slider123 said:
If time existed before the big bang,then it seems to me that time in the past may be infinite ie :That if there is no beginning of time the past therefore must be infinite,..If this is correct and the past is infinite ,then how could we reach the present time ,,ie have we waited an eternity to be born ,,which then leads me to conclude a contridictve answer that maybe by logic that time does not exist at all ..Or am i just talking a load of ??

Leaving the 'time before the big bang thing' apart,
in physics 'future' and 'past' all 'exist' in some sense.
This very contre-intuitive picture is called Eternalism.
Please checking this article (no formulas inside) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternalism_(philosophy_of_time [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:
It is likely impossible to determine when time (should it exist) began. There are a number of issues with this argument, some of which have to do with relativity, and some that point out how physics grew out of philosophy.

First, does time exist? This seems to be an intuitively simple question, as we are surrounded by clocks, watches, calendars, celestial bodies, etc. Furthermore, does the quivering of a particular isotope of Cesium REALLY mean that time, itself, exists and can be "measured" to such an incredibly small scale? What is being measured, however,
time, orbiting bodies, or vibrations? Is one really equivalement to the other? Just because "everything doesn't happen all at once" prove that time, itself, exists?

If time does exist, did it have a beginning? What would that beginning have been? Until the past thousand years, or so, time began with the "creation" of the Earth. We know that time must have existed prior to that, because the Sun existed, and was formed, as well as the galaxy and the remainder of the cosmos. The concept recently proposed that the universe is the result of a collision of branes gives a new dimension (no pun) to the argument that something else may have existed prior to the universe, or that we live in a universe with a plentitude of parallel "baby universes". Certainly, if time existed, it would have existed prior to the formation of our universe.

Carrying on in this line of thought, we can imagine the theory of relativity extending to time, not only within our universe, but also the relativity of such time (by necessity) between universes.

If, on the other hand, time does not exist, as I have posited, none of this grand ediface is necessary.

Don't, however, throw away your alarm clock. Your boss still expects to see you in the office in the morning!

Time and energy are interrelated IMO. Time exists if energy exists, but it would be hard to say that time existed in complete emptiness.

HMS said:
Does this question have an answer? Does the beginning of time coincide with the Big Bang? Is it appropriate to ask what happened before the Big Bang?

I have read that the events prior to BB do not influence those after it. Does it mean that nothing happened before the BB? Or does it mean that events did occur but that they are useless for the discussions about our universe? If yes, what happened before the BB? Or does it mean that human mind cannot comprehend what happened before BB?

I am new to this forum. Sorry if I am being too naive or if I have not worded my questions properly but I am curious to understand this. Could you provide links where this topic is discussed? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sure it's appropriate to ask what happened. In fact, scientists are speculating about it all the time. Ideas such as branes, virtual particles and multiple universes that could have existed prior to our Big Bang are common fodder for pre-Big Bang speculation. Here is am example:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Excerpt

Some theorists suggest that the Big Bang was not so much a birth as a transition, a "quantum leap" from some formless era of imaginary time, or from nothing at all. Still others are exploring models in which cosmic history begins with a collision with a universe from another dimension...

A New Possibility Is Introduced
That other universe could bring about creation itself, according to several recent theories. One of them, called branefall, was developed in 1998 by Dr. Georgi Dvali of New York University and Dr. Henry Tye, from Cornell. In it the universe emerges from its state of quantum formlessness as a tangle of strings and cold empty membranes stuck together. If, however, there is a gap between the branes at some point, the physicists said, they will begin to fall together.

Each brane, Dr. Dvali said, will experience the looming gravitational field of the other as an energy field in its own three-dimensional space and will begin to inflate rapidly, doubling its size more than a thousand times in the period it takes for the branes to fall together. "If there is at least one region where the branes are parallel, those regions will start an enormous expansion while other regions will collapse and shrink," Dr. Dvali said.
When the branes finally collide, their energy is released and the universe heats up, filling with matter and heat, as in the standard Big Bang.

This spring four physicists proposed a different kind of brane clash that they say could do away with inflation, the polestar of Big Bang theorizing for 20 years, altogether. Dr. Paul Steinhardt, one of the fathers of inflation, and his student Justin Khoury, both of Princeton, Dr. Burt Ovrut of the University of Pennsylvania and Dr. Turok call it the ekpyrotic universe, after the Greek word "ekpyrosis," which denotes the fiery death and rebirth of the world in

http://www.tomcoyner.com/before_the_big_bang_there_was__.htm

Excerpt:

What Came 'Before' the Big Bang? Leading Physicist Presents a Radical Theory . String theorists Neil Turok of Cambridge University and Paul Steinhardt, Albert Einstein Professor in Science and Director of the Princeton Center for Theoretical Science at Princeton believe that the cosmos we live in was actually created by the cyclical trillion-year collision of two universes (which they define as three-dimensional branes plus time) that were attracted toward each other by the leaking of gravity out of one of the universes.
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2010/02/what-came-before-the-big-bang-leading-physicists-present-a-radical-theory-weekend-feature.html

So if these branes existed prior to the Big Bang, being themselves the cause of the Big Bang-then time, as defined by the occurence of sequential events, existed before the Big Bang. The following link provides many videos dealing with your question.

Prior to Big Bang Videos

Last edited by a moderator:
they say that time must have had a start cause if time has been infinitely long then everything that should have happened would have already happened. well i think that time is infinite and there was no start to time therefore we have all already lived our lives but trillions of years ago and at this point in infinite time we are repeating what has already happened trillions of years ago cause time is infinite and anything that could happen now could have happened some time back in infinity.

Only that which exists can change - act or be acted upon. This means cause and effect is a FUNCTION OF existence, a derivative of the fundamental phenomenon of being. No phenomenon can be the result of its own subordinate derivative, so the reverse can't be true - existence is NOT a function of cause and effect.

Time is simply the measurement of change.

If existence is not a function of cause and effect, it is not temporal in nature. And since existence didn't "begin", then neither did time.

Entropy leads to heat death of our visible universe, if this is the future what is the past? Big bang is one way to "look" back to the beginning but how do "we see" it? What if you think of big bang as a single event with two directions of motion, in and out like a focal point, let's call this motion energy and visualize it as a black and white whole. After 13 billion light years I would expect these two extremes to still be visible as our horizons. I like to think that because we are inside of the black hole and all paths are curved is why we always see a vanishing point, and the outside of the worm holes formed when the white whole flew apart is what makes up our focal points. Matter is the past that I "see" and mass is the past that I feel and if you think of the world line of matter as always beginning at the center connection called mass then you will always look towards the beginning by "seeing" the past.

I tend to agree with Stephen Hawking's idea of before the big bang. Assume that the lattitude lines on Earth represent time intervals in the early universe. You would assume the big bang took place at the south pole, moving north (along time). So therefore, it is silly to ask what is "south" of the south pole, as it would be to ask what is before the big bang

Apparently the concept that the phenomenon of existence is not a function of cause and effect is not so easily grasped. Understandable, given the proclivaties of Judeo-Christian science and religion...but specious, just the same.

March 3, 1923

http://www.time.com/time/archive/collections/0,21428,c_time_history,00.shtml

SW VandeCarr said:
March 3, 1923

http://www.time.com/time/archive/collections/0,21428,c_time_history,00.shtml

:tongue2: LOL...OK...OK...so Time really DID begin. And the way it is going, it will probably come to an end very soon.

Mr. Burns said:
I tend to agree with Stephen Hawking's idea of before the big bang. Assume that the lattitude lines on Earth represent time intervals in the early universe. You would assume the big bang took place at the south pole, moving north (along time). So therefore, it is silly to ask what is "south" of the south pole, as it would be to ask what is before the big bang

I would not assume time as moving in one direction only. I assume that time is more like a dilating point or area, with the latitude lines as the surface, there by making both north and south poles possible.

petm1 said:
I would not assume time as moving in one direction only. I assume that time is more like a dilating point or area, with the latitude lines as the surface, there by making both north and south poles possible.

I assume that time is more like a burrito, with the tortilla as the surface, thereby making both salsa and avocado possible.

bcrowell said:
I assume that time is more like a burrito, with the tortilla as the surface, thereby making both salsa and avocado possible.

The difference between our examples says a lot about how we think. I see dilating light waves as the motion of time, why else would time be tied to the speed of light? I see these individual dilating areas, each emitted from a massive point, as a dilating image within my eye. These images make up my present, they are my future, but my past is anchored within this dilating frame we call earth. Your world seems to revolve around food. :wink:

<h2>1. What is the Big Bang Theory?</h2><p>The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a single point of infinite density and expanded rapidly, creating space, time, and matter.</p><h2>2. What happened before the Big Bang?</h2><p>This is a highly debated topic among scientists. Some theories suggest that time and space did not exist before the Big Bang, while others propose the existence of a previous universe or a multiverse.</p><h2>3. Can we ever know what happened before the Big Bang?</h2><p>At this point, it is not possible to know for certain what happened before the Big Bang. However, scientists continue to study and explore different theories and possibilities in an effort to gain a better understanding of the origins of the universe.</p><h2>4. How do scientists study the time before the Big Bang?</h2><p>Scientists use a variety of methods, including mathematical models and observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, to study the early stages of the universe and make predictions about what may have happened before the Big Bang.</p><h2>5. Is the Big Bang the only explanation for the origin of the universe?</h2><p>No, there are other theories and hypotheses about the origin of the universe, such as the steady state theory and the oscillating universe theory. However, the Big Bang Theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported explanation by the scientific community.</p>

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a single point of infinite density and expanded rapidly, creating space, time, and matter.

2. What happened before the Big Bang?

This is a highly debated topic among scientists. Some theories suggest that time and space did not exist before the Big Bang, while others propose the existence of a previous universe or a multiverse.

3. Can we ever know what happened before the Big Bang?

At this point, it is not possible to know for certain what happened before the Big Bang. However, scientists continue to study and explore different theories and possibilities in an effort to gain a better understanding of the origins of the universe.

4. How do scientists study the time before the Big Bang?

Scientists use a variety of methods, including mathematical models and observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, to study the early stages of the universe and make predictions about what may have happened before the Big Bang.

5. Is the Big Bang the only explanation for the origin of the universe?

No, there are other theories and hypotheses about the origin of the universe, such as the steady state theory and the oscillating universe theory. However, the Big Bang Theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported explanation by the scientific community.