EE Electives: take everything ? And IEEE paper

In summary, the speaker is struggling to choose electives for their senior year and feels overwhelmed by the importance of all the courses. They are also questioning the value of their CS minor and wondering how to stay updated with the latest information in their field. They are unsure about how to approach reading scientific papers and are feeling self-conscious about their questions.
FancyNut
EE Electives: take everything...? And IEEE papers..

Information overload.

I'm planning my 'senior elective package,' a bunch of electives focused on a certain field. My problem is that it seems to me ALL of them are important. I mean Intro to communication? Or digital electronics? Microprocessor systems? Those are the names of some. They sound pretty basic to me…

What to do? Now I'm thinking classes like Intro to Operating Systems in my CS minor are wasting my time, and that I should just learn enough coding in CS and get out instead of taking a minor.

And on a somewhat off-topic tangent, how does a graduate keep 'up-to-date' with the latest stuff? Yeah, I can read the IEEE but wouldn't be best to 'study' it instead (I don’t think I’ll have time, or that IEEE papers come with HW problems hehe..) ? I mean I can't pick up my calculus book and read it like a work of fiction then expect to have mastered it. Is that how it works for science papers... :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are the questions really that stupid... :redface:

It's understandable to feel overwhelmed when faced with a wide range of electives and papers to choose from in your field of study. However, it's important to prioritize and carefully select the courses and papers that will benefit you the most in achieving your academic and career goals.

One approach could be to first focus on the core courses that are necessary for your major and then choose electives that align with your interests and future career plans. This way, you can ensure that you are building a strong foundation in your field while also exploring new areas that may be of interest to you. Additionally, it's important to consider the workload and time commitment of each elective and choose those that you can manage while still maintaining a healthy balance in your academic and personal life.

As for staying updated with the latest developments in your field, it's important to stay connected with professional organizations such as IEEE and attend conferences and workshops to learn about the latest research and advancements. It's also helpful to network with other professionals and engage in discussions and collaborations to stay current. However, it's not necessary to read every single paper that is published, as it can be overwhelming and time-consuming. Instead, focus on the most relevant and impactful papers and use them as a starting point for further exploration and learning.

Remember, it's not about taking every single course or reading every single paper, but rather choosing the ones that will benefit you the most in achieving your goals and staying current in your field. Don't be afraid to seek guidance from your professors or academic advisors in making these decisions. They can provide valuable insights and help you create a well-rounded and meaningful academic experience.

What are the most popular EE electives to take?

The most popular EE electives vary depending on the university and program, but some common options include courses in circuit design, digital signal processing, power electronics, control systems, and communication systems.

Are there any prerequisites for taking EE electives?

Yes, most EE electives have prerequisites that must be completed before enrolling. These prerequisites often include courses in math, physics, and introductory electrical engineering.

What are IEEE papers and why are they important?

IEEE papers are research articles published by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), which is the largest professional organization for electrical and electronics engineers. These papers are important because they provide a platform for sharing new ideas, discoveries, and advancements in the field of electrical engineering.

How can I find IEEE papers related to my EE elective course?

You can search for IEEE papers related to your EE elective course by using the IEEE Xplore Digital Library, which is a comprehensive database of all IEEE publications. You can also consult your course syllabus or ask your professor for recommended readings.

Can I publish my own research in an IEEE paper?

Yes, anyone can submit their research for consideration to be published in an IEEE paper. However, the research must meet the standards and guidelines set by the IEEE and go through a rigorous peer-review process before being accepted for publication.