Finding the direction vector with only direction angles

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the symmetric equations of a line given its direction angles and passing through a specific point. The direction cosines are used to determine a unit vector in the desired direction, and parametric equations are then derived to represent the line.
nicole
Hey everybody! Thanks for any help!

If I am told a line has direction angles of 60, 45 and 60 and passes through the point (-2, 1, 3). How would I go about figuring out the symmetric equations of the line..

Relatively simple question but I am a tad confused. HELP!
THANKS AGAIN!

Physics news on Phys.org
If [tex]\theta[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex], and [tex]\psi[/tex] are the "direction angles", then [tex]cos(\theta)[/tex], [tex]cos(\phi)[/tex], and [tex]cos(\psi)[/tex], the "direction cosines", form a unit vector in that direction.
cos(60)= 1/2, cos(45)= [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex] so a unit vector in the direction with direction angles 60, 45, 60 (degrees- it would be good idea to say that explicitely!) is [tex]\frac{1}{2}i+ \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}j+ \frac{1}{2}k[/tex] and parametric equations for a line in that direction, passing through (-2, 1, 3) would be [tex]x= \frac{1}{2}t- 2[/tex], [tex]y= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}t+ 2[/tex], [tex]z= \frac{1}{2}t+ 3[/tex].

1. What are direction angles?

Direction angles are the angles formed between a vector and the coordinate axes in a three-dimensional coordinate system. They represent the direction in which a vector is pointing.

2. Can a direction vector be calculated with only direction angles?

Yes, a direction vector can be calculated using the direction angles of a vector. The direction vector is determined by the cosine of the direction angles with respect to the coordinate axes.

3. What information is needed to calculate a direction vector?

In addition to the direction angles, the magnitude or length of the vector is also needed to calculate the direction vector. This can be obtained from the given coordinates of the vector or by using the Pythagorean theorem.

4. How do you find the direction vector using direction angles?

To find the direction vector, you can use the cosine rule or the sine rule. The direction vector is found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the direction angles with respect to the x, y, and z axes.

5. Can direction angles be negative?

Yes, direction angles can be negative. The direction angles are measured from the positive x, y, and z axes in a counterclockwise direction, so angles in the fourth and third quadrants will be negative.