Optical Isomers: Why Do L-Types Cost More?

In summary, the conversation discusses the cost difference between L-type and D-type isomers, with the general consensus being that D-type isomers are more abundant in nature and therefore cheaper to produce. The conversation also touches on the historical origins of the D/L nomenclature and the potential reasons for why our bodies use D amino acids.
The Bob
Hi all. It has been a while since I last posted.

I was reading a couple of days ago about optical isomers. I found that L-type isomers cost more than D-type isomers, to manufacture and sell. I was wondering if anyone knew why?

Because of the new rules on PF, I am going to state what I think. I think it is because D-type isomers occur in nature and do not have to be designed, manufactured and sold the way L-types do.

However I am unsure and hope for some help on this topic.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmm... all L-type isomers are more expensive than the D-types ?

I'm not sure you can generalize that far...:shy: (I'm no stereochemistry expert, although I do find stereochemistry to be the easiest of all organic chem topics :rolleyes:, not that I actually studied the various costs and prices)
-------------------------------------------------------
If you do notice a signficant trend--->that D-type isomers are "significantly" more abundant than L-types in nature-->try posting this in the biology forum:

*What naturally/biologically favorable advantage do dextrorotatory (i.e., D-type) molecules have over their leuvarotary (L-type) counterparts?

*Or, what else makes them more abundant in nature?

Last edited:
It's actually not true. The natural amino acids are all D, but natural form of tartaric acid is L. The D/L nomenclature is kind of antiquated. It was determined based on the relation to glyceraldehyde, which was arbitrarily assigned as D for the natural form. However, the relation to glyceraldehyde was based on degradation of the molecule you were trying to relate, so it was very dependent on how you degraded the molecule.

I think that they may actually synthesize all of the amino acids that you buy through enantioselective reactions, so the two enantiomers are relatively similar in price most of the time. The difference might instead be due to the higher demand for the natural enantiomer and differences in the cost of the two enantiomers of the catalyst used to make the amine acid.

In principle, the D enantiomer has no advantage over the L enantiomer until it comes into contact with another chiral molecule. It just so happens that to get our bodies to work right, we need all D amino acids. In principle, if we used all L amino acids there wouldn't be any noticeable difference. I think the prevailing theory on why we got D and not L is that D was for some reason more available when life was first developing.

1. What are optical isomers?

Optical isomers, also known as enantiomers, are molecules that have the same chemical formula and structure but differ in the spatial arrangement of their atoms. This results in the molecules being mirror images of each other.

2. Why do optical isomers have different properties?

Due to their different spatial arrangements, optical isomers have different physical and chemical properties. This is because the molecules interact differently with other molecules, such as enzymes, and can have different levels of biological activity.

3. Why do L-types cost more than D-types?

L-type optical isomers are often more expensive than D-type isomers due to their higher demand and production costs. L-type isomers are typically found in living organisms and are more biologically active, making them more valuable for pharmaceutical and medical purposes.

4. How are optical isomers used in the pharmaceutical industry?

Optical isomers are used in the pharmaceutical industry to create drugs with specific biological effects. For example, one isomer may have a desired therapeutic effect, while the other may have harmful side effects. By isolating and using only the desired isomer, pharmaceutical companies can create more effective and safe drugs.

5. Can optical isomers be separated?

Yes, optical isomers can be separated through a process called chiral resolution, which involves separating the two isomers based on their physical or chemical properties. This technique is commonly used in the pharmaceutical industry to isolate the desired isomer for drug development.