Understanding Change of Variables for KE Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about deriving the formula for relativistic kinetic energy and how to change the limits of integration in a situation involving a substitution. The individual is seeking understanding of the process and notes that it is a different situation from a normal substitution. They also mention the forum where they originally asked the question.
Carolina Joe
I asked this in another thread, but I think this forum might be a better place for it (not trying to spam the same question). When deriving the formula for relativistic kinetic energy, we start with
[tex]
KE = \int_{0}^{s} \frac{d(mv)}{dt} ds = \int_{0}^{mv} v d(mv)
[/tex]
So I figure that since v = ds/dt, then the right side must come from:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{s} \frac{d(mv)}{dt} ds = \int_{0}^{mv} \frac{ds}{dt} d(mv)
[/tex]
I'm having trouble seeing how to change the limits of integration in a situation like this. The 's' just became 'mv', but what if it had been something more complicated than just 's', like say, tan(s) or something. I'm trying to understand this process. If it had just been a normal substitution u = g(x), then I would understand how to change the limits, but this seems like something different.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do you define change of variables in the KE formula?

Change of variables in the KE formula refers to substituting one variable for another in the equation to make it easier to solve or analyze. It involves transforming the original variables into new ones through a mathematical operation.

2. Why is understanding change of variables important in the study of kinetic energy?

Change of variables is crucial in the study of kinetic energy because it allows us to simplify complex equations and make them more manageable. It also helps us to better understand the relationship between different variables and how they affect the overall kinetic energy of a system.

3. What are the common variables that are changed in the KE formula?

The most commonly changed variables in the KE formula are mass, velocity, and time. These variables can be substituted with other related variables, such as momentum or acceleration, to simplify the equation.

4. Can change of variables affect the accuracy of the KE formula?

No, change of variables does not affect the accuracy of the KE formula as long as the mathematical operations used are valid. The final result will still be the same, regardless of which variables are substituted.

5. How can one determine the appropriate variables to change in the KE formula?

The decision to change variables in the KE formula depends on the specific problem being solved. It is essential to understand the relationship between the variables and how they affect the kinetic energy of the system. It may also be helpful to choose variables that make the equation simpler or easier to solve.